Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Venison Burger

Boolit Master

Venison Burger

I have about 20# of grind meat from the deer I killed this fall.
    I want to make some burger and want to add some fat to it.
    There are a number of options that I am considering.
    Those being beef fat, pork fat. pork shoulder and bacon.
    What do you prefer to add, if any, and in what proportions?

Boolit Buddy
    I add 15% beef fat to my burger.
    If making sausage, I add 30% pork fat.

Boolit Master
    A easy mix for me is a 1 pound tube of spicy sausage from the grocery store with 2-3 pound of ground venison made into burgers .

Boolit Master
    I get strip steak trims from a local butcher shop and add 12-15% to the venison burger meat. Note: make sure you trim ALL the venison fat off the deer meat. It’s about the worst thing you can do by leaving it on. Venison fat tastes really BAD. I’ve served my burger at large gatherings where a lot of the guests said deer meat was gamey tasting. I have yet to meet one person who didn’t like my burger.

Boolit Mold
    I grind my venison just straight(Well trimmed deer, elk, moose) package in 1 pound portions. I use this for tacos sloppy joes etc. Do not have to drain any fat. I also buy the cheap tubs of 70-30 beef hamburger and freeze in 1 pound portions. Around here it goes on sell for $1.99/pound. If I want to make hamburger patties or meatloaf I pull 1 package of ground venison and 1 package of the 30% fat beef burger out of the freezer when thawed mix together and it is great for a BBQ hamburger, meatloaf, meatballs, salisbury steak etc.. This way extends my ground venison and leans up the cheap hamburger.

Boolit Master
    I use the 70/30 ground beef or ground pork, either work well. Somewhere about 1/3 to 1/4 mix, venison to fat, have gone as far as 1/2 and 1/2, all good.

Boolit Grand Master

That depends on what you are making. If you want the best hamburgers, then I love a 70/30 meat to fat mix. I liked to use pork fat trimmings as it is cheap and available. I've never tried using beef fat, very few recipes call for it and I have no idea why. I don't like using pork shoulder both because it is mostly pork meat, and second because you can't know how much fat you are adding. You can guestimate and it is probably fine. Bacon is needlessly expensive, I wouldn't use that. If you want fat, just add fat. I have not tried using bear fat, but I'd love to give that a try.

If you are making sausage/brats/hotdogs than it really depends on taste. 70/30 is a little excessive for this. This would be a good place to use pork shoulder. You don't need any fat at all for a lot of recipes. If you are adding any kind of vegetables, fruit, or cheese, then I recommend adding nothing at all to the meat grind. Do use some powdered milk though, it helps keep everything moist.

If you just want general burger for tacos, hot dish, meatballs or whatever else, then for sure don't add anything. Some might argue on the meatballs, and of course that's up to you, but there's so much in a meatball that fat does nothing for. Egg does plenty to hold them together, and bread crumbs make them super juicy.

Also one last trick to adding fat. Put it in the freezer for a while until it is firm not frozen. Cut it into cubes that fit in the grinder. If needed put them back in the freezer, but it may not be needed. It's way easier to cut and will grind way better this way. I've never tried adding any to already ground meat, I've always ground it with the meat. I would consider grinding the fat with your large plate first, then mixing that with your meat as best you can, then sending that mix through your small plate. If you have already double ground your burger, then I do not know what the best way to go about that is.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 11-14-2022 at 07:07 PM.

Boolit Master

All good advice. Thanks.
    Keep your suggestions coming.

Moderator Emeritus

I find pork fat makes venison taste more like venison and beef fat makes it taste more like beef. The easiest way to ruin a grinder is to grind warm meat without any fat. Get it as cold as you can, nearly frozen and add a minimum of 10% fat. That is enough for us for burgers and most usage. Sausage gets at least 20% preferably 25%. I have tried leaner but not concede to the experts that 25% is needed for chartucherie.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze