RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: 32 h & r mag

Boolit Buddy

32 h & r mag

My lyman cast bullet manual shows a load for 100 grain round nose with 1.8 grains of bullseye powder, for a really light load.
    has any one used this load before

Boolit Master
    THAT sounds a bit TOO light. I guess if you're trying to get .32 S&W velocities from a .32 H&R case, it might be alright. I think I'd bring the squib rod with you, to the shooting range.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    am shooting in a charter arms with 2 inch barrel, but I can bring a rod to check it out

Boolit Master

Those should work just fine for punching paper.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I have shot a good many mouse fart loads in a 327.

The 2004 Alliant booklet shows 3.4 gr Bullseye under a 98 gr with 1010 fps from a 5" barrel. I ran this load through Quickoad and got 1020 fps. In the OP's 2" revolver, I would expect the 3.4 to give around 860 fps (3.5" breech to muzzle, 50 fps est. for cylinder gap loss).

The 1.8 gr in the OP should be good for close to 480 fps in a 2" revolver. This is pretty slow. I would be more comfortable up around 2.3 gr where you should get closer to 600 fps.

Boolit Grand Master

I think you will be ok. I don't use bullseye, I use 700x or American Select. I don't have my notes out, but I'm sure I've gone below 1.8gr and not stuck a bullet. I doubt I took notes, but one time I wanted to see if I could make my 327 federal rifle quieter than a 22 LR without a suppressor. I think I got to around 1 grain of powder, and the bullet was still coming out but only around 500-600 fps so I stopped. I ran your listed load in quickloads, and it looks pretty weak. One thing you can try is a 98gr wadcutter. It appears that a 98gr wadcutter seated just past flush with the case mouth and 1.8gr bullseye should put you ballpark 500 fps from your snubbie. It would be up around 700 fps from a 6" barrel. That to me sounds like a good range to be in for light target loads.

I'm not putting the 32 h&r down at all, but if I wanted such a super light load with a round nose, I would look into getting some 32 s&w long cases. Regular 32 s&w cases (shorts) would be even better if you found some, starline makes them. The first time I tried them I had to make sure they actually fired, I thought it was just the primer that went off.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 11-14-2022 at 02:51 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear1950 View Post
    My lyman cast bullet manual shows a load for 100 grain round nose with 1.8 grains of bullseye powder, for a really light load.
    has any one used this load before
    What edition of the Cast Bullet Handbook do you have?
    I'm asking because I have the 4th edition. My book does not show a 100 gr round nose but it does have a 100 gr Saeco #326 SWC. For this bullet it shows a starting load of Bullseye of 1.8 gr, as you mention. For the 32 S&W Long, using the same bullet, it shows a starting load of Bullseye of 2.1 gr.

Your post caught my eye because I was looking at the same bullet but using Accurate No 5. The 4th edition book shows the exact same starting and max loads for both the 32 S&W Long and the 32 H&R Mag.

I too, have a Charter 32 Mag with a 2" barrel. I questioned Lyman about the loads shown. You can read their response in my post about the 32 Mag. Because I only had the Accurate No 5 powder, I never looked at any of the other loads for these cartridges that Lyman printed.

Based upon my own results and now looking at charges for other powders they've listed, I'm now questioning the validity of what they printed.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Chrono-Results
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Chrono-Results

For myself, I found an article from Handloader which showed loads for Accurate No 5, starting at 5 gr with a Max at 6 gr, with a note stating that 6 gr was a +P load. I loaded those and shot them across my chronograph. I stopped with the 5.6 gr load because all the brass stuck in the cylinder. Looking at the 5.5 gr loads, it appears I might have some flattened primers.

I haven't pursued this further, at the moment, because I'm awaiting collets for the Hornady bullet puller to arrive. After pulling the bullets from those higher weight loads, I plan on reloading the lower weights that I shot and checking them again. This is why I haven't posted further.

I'm not really happy with the response from Lyman. Maybe if more folks questioned them about this they might give more than lip service as a response. (It also makes me wonder what else they've printed might also be in error. No big deal though. Its not like we're working with explosives; right?)

If one of you guys that has both the 4th edition Lyman book and the Quick Load software were to take the time to compare, I'd be interested in what you find.

Boolit Mold
    With a 100 grain cast HP bullet, I've tried 5.5 grains AA-5 in .32 H&R Magnum for the Charter Professional (3" barrel). Load did 1000 fps. However, I generally use 6.0 grains of AA-5 in that cartridge with the Hornady 85 grain XTP for 1000 fps in the Charter Undercoverette (2" barrel), or 5.0 grains of AA-5 with a 115 grain cast HP bullet for 850 fps in the same gun. These loads have no adverse pressure signs, extract easily, and shoot very well.

I've found AA-5 to be a wonder powder in .32 H&R Mag, along with Hodgon Lil Gun. The latter boosts velocities about 200 fps within pressure guidelines, but adds noticeable recoil, and doesn't burn well other than at the top end of the spectrum in this cartridge. I use Lil Gun in heavier steel frame guns such as the Ruger SP-101 with 4" barrel, and the performance equals .38 Special +P loads.

BTW... AA-5 also does very well in .32 SWL. FOR MODERN SOLID FRAME REVOLVERS ONLY, 4.8 grains AA-5 with a 100 grain cast HP bullet is a powerful and safe load. In my 4" Colt Police Positive, it makes 930 fps. Same load in my 3" S&W 31-1 does 890 fps. Those loads are about the equal of standard pressure .38 Special in terms of performance.
    Last edited by Kuduking; 12-19-2022 at 02:31 AM.

Boolit Master

I use 2.0grs of Bullseye under a 95gr cast RN. Use the .32 S&W LONG case. Slips easily into the chambers of a Ruger SSM or Davis derringer. It was just the thing to shift My kids from a Single-Six to center fire revolvers. Just increase the load to max until you find what suits you. Still shoot that load in a Pre-War Colt Police-Positive.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    The only time I’ve gotten under 2.0 gr of Bullseye in my 32s was when I loaded a few 32 S&W (“short”) rounds. I think your proposed mouse fart load in a 32 H&R case will function, if your only goal is to get the bullet out of the barrel and to a paper target within 50’ or so. I really don’t know how much consistency and accuracy you should expect. I would be interested to hear your results and certainly wouldn’t be afraid to try that load, but I would, as others have said, be alert for bullets sticking in the barrel, but that shouldn’t be an issue in that snub length tube.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I've gone a bit lighter using 32SWL brass and Lyman's 313249 85 grain boolit. I use 1.4 graind of Vv N310. I havent chrono'd it but it leaves an 18" barrel chambered in H&R mag sounding quieter than an airgun.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."