RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poly Wads

Poly Wads

I’m wanting to try poly wads in my loads. Currently, I’m using a waxed milk carton wad, topped with newspaper. I’ve had good luck with this combo but I understand there’s a bit of base deformation with the cardboard that the poly wads don’t have. Probably not a big deal at 100 but might at longer ranges. I know they’re available at BACO already cut, but is there somewhere I can buy a sheet and punch out my own? Looking to start with 0.03” thickness to match my current wads
    Last edited by Castaway; 11-13-2022 at 08:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    I was using a 1/16" poly punched wad, under bullet, with cork punched wad, with a solid bleached cardboard cut wad over powder to take up air space.
    Made a nice cleaner round. Now use a punched poly wad from coffee can covers, under bullet, with solid bleach card ( milk carton ) over powder.
    Google the thickness of poly you want, there is a machine supply here in Minneapolis that sells it, name of company, Granger. The news paper is what is causing the deformation, I tried backer rod, that caused problems, went to the poly, cork, solid bleach, end of problems.

Try Buffalo Arms. They have 0.030 and 0.060 bulk sheets here's a link to the 30

https://www.buffaloarms.com/2-sq-ft-...y-030poly.html
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Am aware BACO has them. Interested in what’s available to punch my own

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    You can get the punch at track of the wolf.

Grief! I didn’t know this would be that complicated.

Boolit Mold
    I buy the .03/.06" ldpe or hdpe sheets from Grainger
    kw

Boolit Master
    You can definitely buy 0.030" and 0.060" LDPE sheets at a number of industrial plastic supply places. I can't recommend any because I'm in Canada so not likely local to you. BACO does also sell the sheets separately which is often what I use. I have a number of press mounted punches ( from BACO ) that cut very nicely. If you can find one of those you'll probably like them. I don't like the ones you strike with a hammer.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    That link was for bulk sheets so you could punch our own.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    If you use anything less than a .060 wad thickness, you run the risk of base cutting. Lee Shaver proved this some years ago with his bullet catch box, no matter the material. Card or poly, ldpe is commonly used material. HDPE is also used by quite a few top shooters. It’s available from McMaster Carr and Grainger, the 1 inch wad strips are very handy in the press mounted wad punches I own.

Kenny Wasserburger

Boolit Master
    Downunder I havent been able to buy the proper stuff so I cut HDPE from disposable 10 litre water jugs. If you pay attention you can keep around 50 thou thick - I reckon diameter fit matters - a lot of fellers use wads that are an easy fit in the case - mine are cut .460 same as bullet sizing. Cut it into strips first so can be sure of even thickness. Getting good chrony numbers and nice groups (for me) at 100 & 200.

Thanks to all. Ordered 0.06” wads from BACO

If you've got airspace above a solid wad, you're asking for a ringed chamber, as the late Charlie Dell proved conclusively several years ago.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Be careful of the card stock you cut wads from ? If it a shiny or coated stock it may have a clay coating, that's dirt under pressure in your barrel, use only uncoated stock or milk carton stock..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Be careful of the card stock you cut wads from ? If it a shiny or coated stock it may have a clay coating, that's dirt under pressure in your barrel, use only uncoated stock or milk carton stock..
    You do realize that the edge of the wad is the only part in contact with the barrel?

KW

Lord help us.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    You do realize that the edge of the wad is the only part in contact with the barrel?

KW

Lord help us.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Exactly.
    KW

I have some.070” vinyl I am going to try in the trapdoor and 1885 rem-Lee as soon as I get a .45 cal wad punch die

Boolit Master
    vinyl, isn't that the same a plastic? and I would be Leary of having it melt in the bore from the heat generated with either BP. or smokeless powder. I use wads cut out of old felt hats that I get from local thrift shops, also card board and wads cut / punched out of milk cartons & milk cartons. jmho.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    vinyl, isn't that the same a plastic? and I would be Leary of having it melt in the bore from the heat generated with either BP. or smokeless powder. I use wads cut out of old felt hats that I get from local thrift shops, also card board and wads cut / punched out of milk cartons & milk cartons. jmho.
    Been shooting poly wads in all my Sharps Rifles since 1994, 28 years worth never found any plastic in the bore, and I have recovered hundreds of wads down range, they show no signs of melting.

For one thing, they are never exposed to enough pressure, and secondly never enough time to melt.

Expressing opinions are fine, however when done so without any experience to back them up? This does the group as a whole nothing, nothing worth value at least.

KW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast