Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Load for a Charter Arms .44 Special..........

I have a S&W 696. It is a 5 shot .44 Special. I chased loads for a while then went to 6.0 gr of w231 with a 240 gr Keith Boolit (429421) This load was the only one I tried that shot to the sights.

The Skeeter Load probably would too? All the Cream Puff loads I tried shot way high and were unusable. PC'd Boolits work best in my gun and all that happens at the end of the day is running a piece of paper towel down thru the barrel to push out the unburnt power residue from the last shot.

My mold is from Mihec and will make 3 different HP's adn one solid. I shoot mostly solids but all of them produce the same results. I need to shoot that gun more as it is one of my Favorites..

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I have a S&W 696. It is a 5 shot .44 Special. I chased loads for a while then went to 6.0 gr of w231 with a 240 gr Keith Boolit (429421) This load was the only one I tried that shot to the sights.

The Skeeter Load probably would too? All the Cream Puff loads I tried shot way high and were unusable. PC'd Boolits work best in my gun and all that happens at the end of the day is running a piece of paper towel down thru the barrel to push out the unburnt power residue from the last shot.

My mold is from Mihec and will make 3 different HP's adn one solid. I shoot mostly solids but all of them produce the same results. I need to shoot that gun more as it is one of my Favorites..

Randy
    Lighter Boolit...pushed Faster... will shoot lower....

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I gave my dad's original Bulldog to my son and bought a stainless Target version so I load for two. My solid bullet load is the standard Keith bullet with 7.5 grains of Unique. In HP I use the same HP version of the Keith bullet with 8 grains of Unique. I sometimes load lighter bullets and either 5 or 5.5 grains of Red Dot.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Lighter Boolit...pushed Faster... will shoot lower....
    All the "Creampuff" loads were slower and spent more time in the barrel during recoil, and thus shot higher.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    I gave my dad's original Bulldog to my son and bought a stainless Target version so I load for two. My solid bullet load is the standard Keith bullet with 7.5 grains of Unique. In HP I use the same HP version of the Keith bullet with 8 grains of Unique. I sometimes load lighter bullets and either 5 or 5.5 grains of Red Dot.
    Makin my hand hurt just reading it.. For my 4-5/8 Blackhawk I generally only use 8.6 Gr Unique!!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Randy
    Randy -- my all-time favourite .44 S&W Special is my S&W J-frame five-shot 696! Just "for it" I bought the 432-256 4 Cav HP PB H&G 503 clone from Miha (MP), and sadly I have not shot this bullet enough to give a credible report on performance. Interestingly, you use Winchester 231 while my powder of choice for this loading employs HP38. If memory serves me well... they are just about (if not?) the same powder. Relatively speaking, my loading is much lighter.
    geo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12