Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    I am not "old." I grew up being taught to be polite and not to insult or humiliate others, especially old folks and women, if it can be avoided. I still try to live that way.
    Years ago, there was a thing going around giving advice to all the refugees coming from 'Up Nawth" to the Southern states.

One I remember was telling the new immigrants:
    "You better be nice to the silver haired, little old ladies here. Or they'll slap some manners into your ass, just like they did ours"
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Years ago, there was a thing going around giving advice to all the refugees coming from 'Up Nawth" to the Southern states.
    It's not a "north/south" thing at all. Some of the nicest people I know are "nawtheners." And even they despise pushy, arrogant, obnoxious, loud and foul-mouthed damp yankees.

I know a cure. I moved into a 55-plus neighborhood where all my neighbors are more than 20 years my senior. I am young

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by compass will View Post
    I know a cure. I moved into a 55-plus neighborhood where all my neighbors are more than 20 years my senior. I am young

Sadly, there ain't no cure. Like Covid 19, they're everywhere.

I'm a native of northwest Florida. I gave my home state to the rising masses of arrogant Damp Yankees (hereinafter, the D.Y.s) in 1968 but they have increasingly followed me to the sunny side of the Blue Ridge Parkway in southwestern N.C.

Thankfully, the D.Y.'s haven't (yet) totally inundated our small mountain town. But they are coming, ho' boy they are coming! And here, just as in Florida, as they become an observably larger portion of the public, the jerks among them feel freer to express their native obnoxiousness. Most northerners are fine and helpful folk but domineering D.Y. jerks are hard-core social and political progressive idiots determined to make things worse everywhere they go. And I know off no cures that don't involve hard objects, such as baseball bats.

D.Y.s seem compelled to tell us how great things were "back home". Well, some of you may understand that we southern dummies wonder if their "back home" was/is so great, why in the world did they come down here seeking to make us copies of what they were in such a hurry to leave?

This isn't about hate, please understand that I hate no one. Personally, I love every one of them ... but I have to admit I don't like them all! So, as you may guess, I really would love to see the D.Y's just leave here and go back up north to Miami where so many of them came from! And they should take their burning desire for ever tighter gov. control of the public at large, their massively inflated housing prices AND their astonishing love of constantly higher taxes with them.

As a tired and retired, broken up and worn-out (adopted) Tarheel of 50+ years now I say let's get them out of here and let Florida continue to deal with surplus D.Y.s. Florida's recent election results suggest that the lock grip Deemorcrats have held on FL's throat since Reconstruction is finally being torn loose, one bloody baby finger at a time. That means a lot of good ol' honest, helpful, kind, polite, freedom loving and hardworking Florida rednecks plus a pile of really good Hispanics are finally learning how to effectively push the nawth's nasty, pushy Karens back. And it seems to be driving the dims - I mean, the Dems - nuts! (I like that.)

Boolit Grand Master
    1hole. -- Being smarter doesn't make you a mean old geezer or an old phart, it just makes you the winner! Well played. My hat's off to you.

Years ago there was a story about a guy who was about 65 and moved into one of those senior communities.
    In a few months, he moved back out.

Every time some little something needed doing---- everybody else there said, "Get the kid to do it".

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master

Smile

Sadly, there ain't no cure. Like Covid 19, they're everywhere.

I'm a native of northwest Florida. I gave my home state to the rising masses of arrogant Damp Yankees (hereinafter, the D.Y.s) in 1968 but they have increasingly followed me to the sunny side of the Blue Ridge Parkway in southwestern N.C.

Thankfully, the D.Y.'s haven't (yet) totally inundated our small mountain town. But they are coming, ho' boy they are coming! And here, just as in Florida, as they become an observably larger portion of the public, the jerks among them feel freer to express their native obnoxiousness. Most northerners are fine and helpful folk but domineering D.Y. jerks are hard-core social and political progressive idiots determined to make things worse everywhere they go. And I know off no cures that don't involve hard objects, such as baseball bats.

D.Y.s seem compelled to tell us how great things were "back home". Well, some of you may understand that we southern dummies wonder if their "back home" was/is so great, why in the world did they come down here seeking to make us copies of what they were in such a hurry to leave?

This isn't about hate, please understand that I hate no one. Personally, I love every one of them ... but I have to admit I don't like them all! So, as you may guess, I really would love to see the D.Y's just leave here and go back up north to Miami where so many of them came from! And they should take their burning desire for ever tighter gov. control of the public at large, their massively inflated housing prices AND their astonishing love of constantly higher taxes with them.

As a tired and retired, broken up and worn-out (adopted) Tarheel of 50+ years now I say let's get them out of here and let Florida continue to deal with surplus D.Y.s. Florida's recent election results suggest that the lock grip Deemorcrats have held on FL's throat since Reconstruction is finally being torn loose, one bloody baby finger at a time. That means a lot of good ol' honest, helpful, kind, polite, freedom loving and hardworking Florida rednecks plus a pile of really good Hispanics are finally learning how to effectively push the nawth's nasty, pushy Karens back. And it seems to be driving the dims - I mean, the Dems - nuts! (I like that.)

The South Shall Rise Again !

Damp Yankees ...
    Last edited by gwpercle; 11-20-2022 at 10:51 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

The South Shall Rise Again
    Back in my performance boat/hydroplane days,
    I hung with a bunch of river racers and assorted crazy guys from down around the New Orleans neighborhood.

To give an idea of their level of crazy:
    A couple of them scrounged up an old junk Alum. pontoon boat and restored it.
    To get it up and over 110 miles an hour on flat water-- they hung a pair of 225 horse Mercury outboards on it.
    Another fun thing was to water ski at about 100 miles per hour.

Some of them would tell ya straight up--- anybody living North of Interstate 10 is a Yankee.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails interstate 10.png  
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-20-2022 at 11:05 AM.

EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

The South Shall Rise Again !

Damp Yankees ...
    I lost family on both sides of the Civil war, and one around Fort Kenny TX (Roundrock) before the war.
    My wife is from Macon GA, so I felt like i was allowed to move south.

Boolit Master
    I lost family on both sides of the Civil war, and one around Fort Kenny TX (Roundrock) before the war.
    The 1861-65 sectional fight wasn't a "civil" war (but our 1776 Revolution against England was). Civil wars are when a mixture of a country's citizens seek to seize control of a country's central government and push the others out. Revolutions are when parts of a country declare themselves an independent country. Our sectional fight was the latter because there was never any southern desire to conquer or control our brothers in the north and they knew it. The South simply fought invaders to push them out of our new nation. World wide, we'll find that most people will still do that.

Let's be honest about the South's failed war of independence; it was indeed a revolution. Everyone knows the South never wanted anything to do with a northern occupation nor control of the government of the United States. So, the North (Lincoln) created a war of conquest of a newly independent country, meaning it was NOT a "civil war." Most Southerners' remain quite proud of our forefathers' resistance to invasion. Therefore we tend to object to ignorant northerners' frequently sneering insults about those tuff and brave men's accomplishments in the field.

NOTE: It's worth mentioning at this point that America's war of independence from the British was mostly fought in the north but it was won in the south! Ditto the War of 1812.

From 1861 to 1864, the North fought long and died hard to regain control of a good place for their great-great-grandkids to retire without a passport. And that's basically all the North's armed forces got for their sacrifices. But the bloody merchants of four years of war got filthy rich(er), as usual.

In the event, the North invaded the South and finally defeated a hurredly formed a nearly untrained and poorly supplied amature army about one quarter of its size, in "only" four years. After 1865, the Union military ground the south's starving population in the dirt for more years, as if the CSA was an evil foreign county who threatened the North's survival. (The South did greatly resent those long years of the North's oppressive political and economic "carpet bagger" domineering over a diminished people on their knees.)

At the end, the winners always get to control the public record. Calling our southern independence fight a "civil" war sounds much better than calling it what it was. Exactly like today's Russia vs. Ukraine fight, our so called "civil war" was a politically trumped-up war to sustain a weak union by invasion and conquest by a vastly stronger neighborhood bully nation.

Pink panty historians can call the war of Northern Aggression whatever they wish but saying it was a "civil war" is no more honest than males declaring themselves women so they can oggle neccked little girls in (Democrat controlled) school locker rooms and compete against the girls in sports.

But all those facts don't matter now, after all, it was some 150 years ago! The only ones in either camp still wanting to mouth fight about it are the Damp Yankees.[/quote]

My wife is from Macon GA, so I felt like i was allowed to move south.
    Macon is a good place.

You'll be allowed and even welcomed in the South IF you prove you're not just another Damp Yankee. (Fact is, we really don't give a damp how anyone does anything up nawth!) So, come on down, you'll usually be taken at face value unless/until you prove to be just another D.Y. Then having a wife from Macon won't obtain anything but pity and prayers for enlightenment.

Last edited by 1hole; 11-20-2022 at 09:45 PM.

I remember meeting her grandmother. She said, "he seems alright for being a yankee."

Boolit Master

This thread called to mind something that was attributed to a local doctor, now long deceased. He told a nurse, a repatriated northerner: "Yankees were like hemoroids: A pain in the *** and wouldn't stay up there where they belonged".

I don't know what she did to incur his ire.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    The 1861-65 sectional fight wasn't a "civil" war (but our 1776 Revolution against England was). Civil wars are when a mixture of a country's citizens seek to seize control of a country's central government and push the others out. Revolutions are when parts of a country declare themselves an independent country. Our sectional fight was the latter because there was never any southern desire to conquer or control our brothers in the north and they knew it. The South simply fought invaders to push them out of our new nation. World wide, we'll find that most people will still do that.

Let's be honest about the South's failed war of independence; it was indeed a revolution. Everyone knows the South never wanted anything to do with a northern occupation nor control of the government of the United States. So, the North (Lincoln) created a war of conquest of a newly independent country, meaning it was NOT a "civil war." Most Southerners' remain quite proud of our forefathers' resistance to invasion. Therefore we tend to object to ignorant northerners' frequently sneering insults about those tuff and brave men's accomplishments in the field.

NOTE: It's worth mentioning at this point that America's war of independence from the British was mostly fought in the north but it was won in the south! Ditto the War of 1812.

From 1861 to 1864, the North fought long and died hard to regain control of a good place for their great-great-grandkids to retire without a passport. And that's basically all the North's armed forces got for their sacrifices. But the bloody merchants of four years of war got filthy rich(er), as usual.

In the event, the North invaded the South and finally defeated a hurredly formed a nearly untrained and poorly supplied amature army about one quarter of its size, in "only" four years. After 1865, the Union military ground the south's starving population in the dirt for more years, as if the CSA was an evil foreign county who threatened the North's survival. (The South did greatly resent those long years of the North's oppressive political and economic "carpet bagger" domineering over a diminished people on their knees.)

At the end, the winners always get to control the public record. Calling our southern independence fight a "civil" war sounds much better than calling it what it was. Exactly like today's Russia vs. Ukraine fight, our so called "civil war" was a politically trumped-up war to sustain a weak union by invasion and conquest by a vastly stronger neighborhood bully nation.

Pink panty historians can call the war of Northern Aggression whatever they wish but saying it was a "civil war" is no more honest than males declaring themselves women so they can oggle neccked little girls in (Democrat controlled) school locker rooms and compete against the girls in sports.

But all those facts don't matter now, after all, it was some 150 years ago! The only ones in either camp still wanting to mouth fight about it are the Damp Yankees.

Macon is a good place.

You'll be allowed and even welcomed in the South IF you prove you're not just another Damp Yankee. (Fact is, we really don't give a damp how anyone does anything up nawth!) So, come on down, you'll usually be taken at face value unless/until you prove to be just another D.Y. Then having a wife from Macon won't obtain anything but pity and prayers for enlightenment.

[/QUOTE]

All very well put! BTW when I was in High School in Louisiana in the mid 60's, the Louisiana history textbook called the Civil War "The War of Northern Aggression". I still have kinfolks in Walker County, GA - Chickamauga area. My branch left for Arkansas at war's end - too many burnt farmsteads.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

Does that attitude make me a "mean old geezer" or am I still just an old phart?
    Neither it makes you a gentleman which is even rarer.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Thank you Wayne, I didn't expect anything like that.

Boolit Grand Master
    Would I be a yankee????
    I'm as far west a possible, and we are the "upper" 48.
    I'm hate to be a yankee.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, I believe that being a “geezer” is not a statement of age, it’s a state of mind, an attitude…

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Would I be a yankee????
    I'm as far west a possible, and we are the "upper" 48.
    I'm hate to be a yankee.
    You're definitely from the far western unexplored regions of 'Not Texas'.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    You're definitely from the far western unexplored regions of 'Not Texas'.
    Where we are born is in God's hands. Thus, being "from" anywhere except South America is an unfortunant event that falls on most of humanity. Individually, it simply can't be helped but it need not be a serious handicap in anyone's life.

However, being an unpleasant Damp Yankee is a conscious personal choice; a crude and offensive choice for the rest of the world. It may be influenced by inherited defects in the DNA but it's not uncontrollable. D.Y.s occur everywhere humans set foot but observed evidence shows they most commonly spring from the populations of the northeastern regions of the United States.

Unpleasant people are unhappy people. Unhappy people take satisfaction by spraying their unhappiness on their world; D.Y.s habitually take satisfaction by making people around them unhappy and even angry. That's sad for both the people they insult AND for themselves.

I'm a happy man, I live a happy life. I don't like everyone I see but I hate no one at all so I can happily refuse to partake in D.Y.s poisoned spittle fights; they aren't used to that and it drives them nuts!

Boolit Master
    I recently read a thing on the subject that I rather liked:

"Too old to fight, too slow to run, STILL young enough to shoot DAMN good & ruin your day!"
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast