Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you pray?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    We have an awesome God.

Anyone can try a simple experiment.
    At our house we take our blood pressure (and blood sugar) every morning.
    We have a reasonably accurate gadget that velcros on.

Take your blood pressure.
    Then read a Psalm, doesn't matter which one, a different one.
    (Ps2:1 "Why do the heathen rage..."?)
    Think about what the Psalm says. Some might say meditate on God's Word.
    Take your BP again. Goes down? Psalms could save your life.
    Your BP goes up with pain.

Does it matter what you read? Election results, perhaps?
    Yes! it matters. The crud of this world only raises your BP.
    Psalms are songs of praise to God, with built in prayers, thousands of years old.
    King David wrote his songs to praise God and ask His help.

A Psalm is a great way to start a prayer, start a day.
    We have a God who answers prayers.

Blahut I am sorry to hear of your pain.
    Here is my prayer for you to receive Grace and Mercy. Amen.
    Owner's Manual reads: "God have mercy on me, a sinner". Amen to that!

Grace is getting what we do not deserve.
    Mercy is not getting what we really deserve.

Every Wednesday night there is a group praying for you, me, us.
    Only the Holy Spirit can save America from those who hate us.
    I believe He will. I pray He will.
    We all have a part in the Covenant that George Washington made with God.
    God never forgets, but we forgot. God will forgive us if we repent.
    We are free here, for now, free to serve God any way we want. That's freedom. For now.
    Thank You

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    I think in one way or another we are all in some type of pain because of this fallen world. (Our bodies are frail the situations we put ourselves in) You are not alone, one good thing about praying in a group is sharing our pains and concerns with God and others. These types of prayers can be the most heart felt. Thanks for letting people pray for you.
    Thank You

Boolit Buddy
    My prayers do not get answered.
    It's frustrating to me.

I know some people with medical problems and in discomfort and I say a prayer to God to please help and heal those people.
    Nope...nothing....same-o, same-o.
    Jesus, and the apostles, went around and healed many people when they asked for healing.
    Why them and not us?

God has a plan for all of us and guides us along the way towards that end.
    For whatever reason, babies are born with deformities (blindness, deaf, yada yada) that will be with them their whole lives.
    Also the people I mentioned with medical issues......<sigh>
    This is God's plan and He knows what is best.

Perhaps it's a Karma thing.
    I know, I know. That doesn't sit well with a lot of you.

So, regarding prayer, who are we to pray to Him to alter His plan and change things?
    He knows best.

Why pray at all?

Praying for forgiveness for sins we have committed does make sense.
    Praying for world peace seems like the right thing to do also but......God's plan again.

Prayer does keep us in contact with God though, despite it being a one way conversation....for most people.

Despite all of this, I still do pray.
    I pray that your prayers are answered, but given my track record,....well, you know.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Grand Master

God is absolutely in control of every detail - and knows everything. I don't have to advise God how to do things, I don't have to tell him what I need for he has already accomplished that. Prayer changes me, not me changing the world.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    My prayers do not get answered.
    It's frustrating to me.

I know some people with medical problems and in discomfort and I say a prayer to God to please help and heal those people.
    Nope...nothing....same-o, same-o.
    Jesus, and the apostles, went around and healed many people when they asked for healing.
    Why them and not us?

God has a plan for all of us and guides us along the way towards that end.
    For whatever reason, babies are born with deformities (blindness, deaf, yada yada) that will be with them their whole lives.
    Also the people I mentioned with medical issues......<sigh>
    This is God's plan and He knows what is best.

Perhaps it's a Karma thing.
    I know, I know. That doesn't sit well with a lot of you.

So, regarding prayer, who are we to pray to Him to alter His plan and change things?
    He knows best.

Why pray at all?

Praying for forgiveness for sins we have committed does make sense.
    Praying for world peace seems like the right thing to do also but......God's plan again.

Prayer does keep us in contact with God though, despite it being a one way conversation....for most people.

Despite all of this, I still do pray.
    I pray that your prayers are answered, but given my track record,....well, you know.
    Those are some very important and big questions. If God, why suffering? I don't think my answer will comfort many people, but it is what I believe.

Matthew's Gospel (26:36-46) describes Messiah praying repeatedly to "let this cup pass" but God's answer was no. Not even did Messiah receive everything He asked. This thought comforts me when I think or feel that God isn't listening. There may be a bigger purpose that will blot out my temporary suffering in the most glorious way.

Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world replete with suffering and evil. I believe God had, not only a reason, but a good, important reason for creating this world as He did.

I think remembering that this is not our home helps me maintain a healthy perspective. We are not citizens of this world, we are travelers passing through.
    "There is no saint without a past, no sinner without a future."

- Saint Augustine

Boolit Master
    "May praise shape your every prayer and peace rule in your heart as you practice thankfulness to God in every situation."

I always try to follow this pattern when praying.

We are instructed to pray the results are up to God.

By far most of my prayers are one way conversations and it's easy to feel alone and ignored. However when the approach is humble and when I can put the cares of the day aside and concentrate on the majesty of God it seems I can get further along. St Teresa, talks about demons that are placed in these outer rooms that are actually distractions and you just can't get further in prayer till these are dealt with. You crush one and another pops up because they are all connected to each other and their design is evil wanting to keep you away from the Holy Spirit.

I wonder that when I ask for something in prayer, and if the thing I want doesn't stand with God's glory, IE for someone to be healed is God protecting me from myself when His answer is no? Keeping the person who prayed from thinking they healed the sick on their own. But if someone who believes and may not be versed in scripture makes a prayer like that they will feel like their credit card got denied and might grow cold on the idea of prayer. This scenario is brought on by ourselves but it is still a win for evil.

Jesus made it clear that it was the Holy Spirit that healed due to the faith of the people He was talking to. The contrast is that when Jesus went to his home town not much happened in regard to miracles.

In other words I think there are things we ask for that are not in our plane or doesn't fit with God's glory and with better understanding we might not have asked.
    Last edited by pmer; 11-18-2022 at 09:37 AM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

pmer,
    Sometimes I've had to think that I'm not smart enough to know what to pray for. But then I've thought about it to the effect that I'm confident God won't say yes to what I ask for if He knows better.

Boolit Master
    We have some good thoughts on honest prayer here. I've never spoken a prayer that didn't get answered. Sometimes it's "Yes!", sometimes it's "No", sometimes it's "Not yet."

I see my part of the praying job as presenting thanks for the many spiritual AND earthly joys I've already received and lifting up the tears and heavy burdens on my heart at the moment.

Then, as Jesus did the night before his crucifixion, I recognize that the Father's knowledge and wisdom is better than mine so I can leave my burdens in His hands and trust what he does. His answers can be, and often have been, amazing.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Nope.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    We have some good thoughts on honest prayer here. I've never spoken a prayer that didn't get answered. Sometimes it's "Yes!", sometimes it's "No", sometimes it's "Not yet."

I see my part of the praying job as presenting thanks for the many spiritual AND earthly joys I've already received and lifting up the tears and heavy burdens on my heart at the moment.

Then, as Jesus did the night before his crucifixion, I recognize that the Father's knowledge and wisdom is better than mine so I can leave my burdens in His hands and trust what he does. His answers can be, and often have been, amazing.
    My thoughts on this are the same. The thing I try to do is follow up with thanks and praise no matter how He answers, because I know He always answers and knows best.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I pray. Now here is what I believe, there is praying and we are to pattern it after Mat 6:9-13. Those exact words? No, But a pattern such as our Father which art in heaven which is first acknowledging who God is. Do we ask in prayer that we can consume it upon our own lust? Now touching on some other thoughts, did Jesus who was God in the flesh heal every single person on earth when he walked it? Did the apostles see healing with every single sick person they cam in contact with? We see Paul had a friend he worried for called Epaphroditus in Philippians ch.2 whom God had mercy on. Paul prayed for his thorn to be removed and it was not. Jesus prayed for the "cup" to be passed from him and it wasn't. Food for thought, what if God healed everyone you prayed for? Really think, what if? Would you become puffed up eventually? Would humanity begin losing faith because of so many works? My brother became an atheist because he worked on an ambulance and seen so much children suffering. Sin is still in the world and we see all to much the results of sin. Pain, sickness suffering. Now I can blame no one for my artificial hip because I broke it in a car accident going to fast not wearing a seat belt, but in that I have seen the hand of God work mightily over the years.Touching on deep prayer, I believe there is a groaning so to speak. A time when you may physically cry as well as a heart cry. A connection when you are so deep nothing in this world matters but calling out to Christ and lifting up his name all the while a urning in your body and spirit that can't be explained. I've seen healing it still happens. I've seen manifestation in church services of almost every gift of the Holy Spirit including tongues over the years. I've seen too much not to believe. Friends and brothers, I love you. Hold fast, hold tight, set your anchor in Jesus. Let not Satan pull you away when hard questions like some of these begin to pull on your faith. There is a day of reckoning coming as well as a day of perfect healing where the old shall pass and all will be new and sin with it's results will be gone. It's said Paul was beheaded and we know John was. Peter is believed to have been crucified up side down. These great men of God left out of this world in bonds and suffering but I For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared...

Quote Originally Posted by Wal' View Post
    Nope.
    Wal, I'm gonna pray for ya. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wal' View Post
    Nope.
    ???

You may be right but would you elaborate a little?

Boolit Master

every night....praying for the safety of my loved ones
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    Yes I pray. Now here is what I believe, there is praying and we are to pattern it after Mat 6:9-13. Those exact words? No, But a pattern such as our Father which art in heaven which is first acknowledging who God is. Do we ask in prayer that we can consume it upon our own lust? Now touching on some other thoughts, did Jesus who was God in the flesh heal every single person on earth when he walked it? Did the apostles see healing with every single sick person they cam in contact with? We see Paul had a friend he worried for called Epaphroditus in Philippians ch.2 whom God had mercy on. Paul prayed for his thorn to be removed and it was not. Jesus prayed for the "cup" to be passed from him and it wasn't. Food for thought, what if God healed everyone you prayed for? Really think, what if? Would you become puffed up eventually? Would humanity begin losing faith because of so many works? My brother became an atheist because he worked on an ambulance and seen so much children suffering. Sin is still in the world and we see all to much the results of sin. Pain, sickness suffering. Now I can blame no one for my artificial hip because I broke it in a car accident going to fast not wearing a seat belt, but in that I have seen the hand of God work mightily over the years.Touching on deep prayer, I believe there is a groaning so to speak. A time when you may physically cry as well as a heart cry. A connection when you are so deep nothing in this world matters but calling out to Christ and lifting up his name all the while a urning in your body and spirit that can't be explained. I've seen healing it still happens. I've seen manifestation in church services of almost every gift of the Holy Spirit including tongues over the years. I've seen too much not to believe. Friends and brothers, I love you. Hold fast, hold tight, set your anchor in Jesus. Let not Satan pull you away when hard questions like some of these begin to pull on your faith. There is a day of reckoning coming as well as a day of perfect healing where the old shall pass and all will be new and sin with it's results will be gone. It's said Paul was beheaded and we know John was. Peter is believed to have been crucified up side down. These great men of God left out of this world in bonds and suffering but I For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared...
    Thanks for your input. Do you find that the more you pray the more you learn about yourself? With redemption and forgiveness it seems okay to leave the scars of sin behind as we pray. Can Satan use the weight of sins in our past to keep us from reaching community with God even though we know this is trickery?

I'm wondering this out loud for some that might have despair in their comments here.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Wal' writes, "Nope".

Surely you do, we all do.
    When we drive in traffic we pray (on some level) that we don't get rammed.
    But sometimes things get bent, someone in Tucson will die in a SUV today.
    We have faith in red lights.
    Does an omnipotent God bother with our traffic jams?
    Yup.
    It could be that that Satan worshiper in that Lexus has a meeting scheduled with his deity.

Please remember our God has a sense of humor.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans...

We are born with our hardware.
    Either God or the world will provide your software.
    Some people never really learn to drive.
    Wouldn't you like to teach them?
    We really have trouble with the red light thing around here.

On Wednesday nights we have a prayer meeting.
    We keep a list of prayer
    people need visits
    people need rides
    people need prayer
    and record prayers asked and answered.
    It is astonishing.
    God is outside of cause and effect.
    Miraculous.

Boolit Master
    YES; I pray, I pray, to give thanks for all that I have received............... That is all.....

Boolit Master
    Matthew 11:28

Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    Wal' writes, "Nope".

Surely you do, we all do.
    When we drive in traffic we pray (on some level) that we don't get rammed.
    But sometimes things get bent, someone in Tucson will die in a SUV today.
    We have faith in red lights.
    Does an omnipotent God bother with our traffic jams?
    Yup.
    It could be that that Satan worshiper in that Lexus has a meeting scheduled with his deity.

Please remember our God has a sense of humor.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans...

We are born with our hardware.
    Either God or the world will provide your software.
    Some people never really learn to drive.
    Wouldn't you like to teach them?
    We really have trouble with the red light thing around here.

On Wednesday nights we have a prayer meeting.
    We keep a list of prayer
    people need visits
    people need rides
    people need prayer
    and record prayers asked and answered.
    It is astonishing.
    God is outside of cause and effect.
    Miraculous.
    You're right. He really does have a sense of humor as well as other emotions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast