Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you pray?

Do you pray?

I mean do you go deep in prayer? I have been wondering about this for a little while because on all Saints Day I was listening to a Catholic talk radio station and heard about a Nun that lived in the 1500's. She had a publication or book called The Interior Castle by St Teresa of Avila. you can download a free PDF of her book plus there's other ways to buy it. Yeah I'm a bit of nerd for this kind of thing LOL Spurgen, Luther, Sinners in the hands of an angry God etc. In her book she describes levels of prayer taking the soul deeper and deeper near to the Spirit.

As I read her rather artful descriptions and opinions on this subject I find it makes sense and I see where I've been stopped or hung up in my communication with the Lord in prayer. But when I was growing up in a Lutheran church they said not to meditate because of the spiritual danger. When I read the Gospels I see Jesus would sometimes pray all night long, I don't think that was 6-7 hours of small talk with God. Other parts of scripture might say "deep in prayer".

It seems the modern definition of meditating lends itself to Buddhism or maybe a new age mix of Christianity. If different religions mention meditation can any one religion lay claim to meditation? Is prayer just prayer or is prayer actually meditation. Or does good prayer lead to meditation which is actually prayer anyways.

For background I consider myself a born again Christian and go to an Evangelical Free Church (a bible church). My prayer life could be better and goes up and down in frequency.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

yes, but its more like having a conversation
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I start every day with a personal quiet time with Bible reading and prayer. There are many short, mostly thank you prayers, during the day.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

USMC 77, USRA 79

I pray. And I listen. Like somebody already said. I go to my quiet place, without distraction, and sometimes am just quiet.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Yeah, I pray. I mean like WOW, I pray a lot. I pray with thanks, for help, for forgiveness, for wisdom, -- I pray for the welfare of our country, I pray for my enemies, I pray for the folks who don't know God. I pray for those who suffer, those who are lost, those who need more than they have, and those who have more than they need. I pray for guidance, for awareness, for compassion, for calm, for courage, for love. I pray to give and get kindness, and I pray for patience.

In our world, in these times, there is plenty of reason to pray, and pray hard and long.. I pray that y'all will pray often, and may God hear you. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    yes, but its more like having a conversation
    Im with you on this one... a lot of praise and a little please may you..... do it a LOT while Im out hunting...ask for guidance and assistance while stalking along,oh and ask for the mojo to click with my dog....sometimes its uncanny just how clear cut it is when the big fella upstairs decides to lend a helping hand....

Thanks guys. Do you believe that God speaks to you in Spirit through what someone else says? Like when Paul was turned away from Asia and sent towards Europe.

I think this is another type of communication from the Lord, just today I was in a store and walked by something I needed for the house that I didn't know existed. The funny thing was it wasn't on my mind till I saw it and I wondered 3 isles over for no reason.
    Last edited by pmer; 11-13-2022 at 09:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Everytime I have to go to a public gun range...
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    This may not be the place to put this out there and I have been mocked for saying this. December first, 2006, on the operating table I died, was sent back, what I remember was trying to get through the heavy vail, I will call it, like trying to swim through honey, to get to the pure bright white light. When I opened my eyes, I was back here, and in emence pain. Spent the next 30 days in ICU, in pain, it is now 2022 and I am still in pain. I have been to the other side, it is so beautiful, so peaceful, I have no fear of dying, I fear lingering and waiting for death to take me again. Do I pray? sometimes ? Not often. Not seriously. Some say prayer works, I DO NOT KNOW.. My GOD does work in mysterious ways

Boolit Master

i have found that god gives me what i need, not what i want, sometimes they can be vastly different.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

For me most times it is like having a conversation.

However I will admit that some times you need a big dose of patience, persistence and perseverance.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Yes! Differently for different occasions. I pray in a different way as I'm getting older. Prayers of thanks and adoration, God's will be done. I try and be careful not to pray for my will or a wish list (treating God like the Santa Claus in the sky)!

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    This may not be the place to put this out there and I have been mocked for saying this. December first, 2006, on the operating table I died, was sent back, what I remember was trying to get through the heavy vail, I will call it, like trying to swim through honey, to get to the pure bright white light. When I opened my eyes, I was back here, and in emence pain. Spent the next 30 days in ICU, in pain, it is now 2022 and I am still in pain. I have been to the other side, it is so beautiful, so peaceful, I have no fear of dying, I fear lingering and waiting for death to take me again. Do I pray? sometimes ? Not often. Not seriously. Some say prayer works, I DO NOT KNOW.. My GOD does work in mysterious ways
    I think in one way or another we are all in some type of pain because of this fallen world. (Our bodies are frail the situations we put ourselves in) You are not alone, one good thing about praying in a group is sharing our pains and concerns with God and others. These types of prayers can be the most heart felt. Thanks for letting people pray for you.
    Last edited by pmer; 11-14-2022 at 08:59 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Yes! Differently for different occasions. I pray in a different way as I'm getting older. Prayers of thanks and adoration, God's will be done. I try and be careful not to pray for my will or a wish list (treating God like the Santa Claus in the sky)!
    I guess this part of the Bible always confused me... It's like, are we supposed to just pray for necessities?

Matthew 7:7-8
    King James Version
    7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Grand Master
    Every day, brother.

Boolit Man
    I pray every day, constantly giving thanks for what and whom I have. Asking for the change in me that will help me deal with the wretchedness I see in the world. I pray for those in my life that are not saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    I guess this part of the Bible always confused me... It's like, are we supposed to just pray for necessities?

Matthew 7:7-8
    King James Version
    7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
    These lines in scripture indicate persistence. In Luke 11:5-13 Luke shares a bit more on this and assures us that God hears all prayer.

Boolit Master
    We have an awesome God.

Anyone can try a simple experiment.
    At our house we take our blood pressure (and blood sugar) every morning.
    We have a reasonably accurate gadget that velcros on.

Take your blood pressure.
    Then read a Psalm, doesn't matter which one, a different one.
    (Ps2:1 "Why do the heathen rage..."?)
    Think about what the Psalm says. Some might say meditate on God's Word.
    Take your BP again. Goes down? Psalms could save your life.
    Your BP goes up with pain.

Does it matter what you read? Election results, perhaps?
    Yes! it matters. The crud of this world only raises your BP.
    Psalms are songs of praise to God, with built in prayers, thousands of years old.
    King David wrote his songs to praise God and ask His help.

A Psalm is a great way to start a prayer, start a day.
    We have a God who answers prayers.

Blahut I am sorry to hear of your pain.
    Here is my prayer for you to receive Grace and Mercy. Amen.
    Owner's Manual reads: "God have mercy on me, a sinner". Amen to that!

Grace is getting what we do not deserve.
    Mercy is not getting what we really deserve.

Every Wednesday night there is a group praying for you, me, us.
    Only the Holy Spirit can save America from those who hate us.
    I believe He will. I pray He will.
    We all have a part in the Covenant that George Washington made with God.
    God never forgets, but we forgot. God will forgive us if we repent.
    We are free here, for now, free to serve God any way we want. That's freedom. For now.

I don't pray near as often as I should. At least part of that is the difficulty in finding a private, quiet moment, but the rest is my own fault.

As far as "meditation" goes, I think it's easy for people to assign more spirituality to the word than is necessary. I can "meditate" on a game of chess. To meditate is to think deeply, and we as Christians are called to meditate on God's word. Many people certainly think of "meditation" only as it is portrayed in reference to certain Easter religions, but to pigeonhole the word to that extent robs English of a wonderful word that has a much broader meaning.

I think meditation is an essential ingredient to deep prayer. You should focus intently on God and God's word when praying.
    "There is no saint without a past, no sinner without a future."

- Saint Augustine

Every day but not near enough here either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast