RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: Large Pistol Primer Magnum or Match

Boolit Mold

Large Pistol Primer Magnum or Match

Hello,

I have always used Federal Match primers but cannot find any. Anyone try a Federal Magnum in a .44 or 45acp?

Thanks...Seedsntrees

Boolit Grand Master
    What powder? Is there some reason you can’t just use standard Large Pistol Primers? The Magnum primers will be hotter, so you will need to reduce your powder charge by a few % to allow for that. Most people use Magnum primers with large charges of hard to light (slow burning) powders, but I for one have never really seen the need for them?
    Why did you feel the need for Match primers?
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    just shot the match for years...running out. I agree with your comments, slow burn could use help. Never needed a magnum, just can not find anything other than magnum. Thanks again...Mark

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve never used Match Primers for anything but my single shot bench gun for Schuetzen matches. If you’re shooting normal handgun loads with your 44 and 45, I can’t imagine being able to tell the difference between Match and Standard. If all you can find are Magnum Primers, just drop back to your starting loads or perhaps a couple of % less and have at it.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    YES have used mag primers. you just need to cut your powder back some and work back up, these primers are hotter. If you know your FPS you can coronagraph and work back up to that speed? No difference between reg primers and match, match primers are just supposed to be more consistent, and just cost more.

Boolit Master
    I load pretty much in the middle of recommended minimum and maximum and honestly have never noticed any difference between standard primers and magnum primers. I normally buy only standard, but when the only vendor at a gun show has just one brick of large pistol magnum primers, and nothing else, they come home with me.

Boolit Grand Master

With the component shortages nowadays, I buy whatever I can get.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Mold
    I AGREE! Shoot whatever you can find and make adjustments from what you are using...HANDLOADING

In .44Mag that's what they normally call for. 44Special shouldn't be a problem with reduced powder.
    If your firing pin strike in the .45 will set them off, reduce the powder and maybe work back up.
    When it was all I had-
    I've loaded a bunch of 9mm and .38Spec. with Magnum primers doing that without any issues.
    Being thicker, your fired primer will probably show less of a pressure sign. But that's OK.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I use Federal magnum LP primers in both my 45 acp and 44-40 revolver. Why? because both guns are new to me this year and the only LP primers I could find at a decent price were Federal LP magnum. All my load development was based on them. My problem is going to be the reverse-- re-developing my loads when I can get the right primers.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Match primers are a higher grade of standard primers made by senior personnel. No guarantee that person had a good day.

CCI Magnum primers are hotter, Federal Magnum may just be a thicker cup. Primer manufacturers make No useful information available.

I looked at my spreadsheet and I tested Federal 150 against Federal 155 Magnum Match and the Federal 155 Magnum Primers averaged 6 fps faster in the 900 fps range. 20 shots of each. Just batch to batch variation, the spread was bigger than that.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 11-15-2022 at 07:05 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Powder Valley has Large Pistol Primers In Stock Now!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.