WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Big Enough for the Biggest Game: The Remington Autoloading Rifle in Africa

Boolit Grand Master

Big Enough for the Biggest Game: The Remington Autoloading Rifle in Africa

Why too long to copy and paste but interesting read on the Remington Model 8 and the 35 Remington for African game.

https://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsoci...jKVvAYakbMLXYs
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Thanks for posting that. An interesting read, for sure.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

That was a interesting story. I wonder if the ammo used was expanding or FMJ bullets ? It sounds like the same situation as today that it means more where you hit game than what the caliber is.

Jedman

Boolit Master

Good Read. I like my 35 Rems. Don't think it would be my "African 1st. Choice" but many African guides prefer heavy slow bullets over the ultra velocity Chamberings.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master

Pretty cool article that I think practically, is more about the Remington Model 8 than the .35 Remington.

The African hunting pros were/are more about penetration than expansion, and most of us in the casting community know quite well that if anything of reasonable mass is thrown reasonably fast and DOESN'T expand, penetration is not likely to be a problem. With that principle in mind, the performance differences between the .35 Remington, the .35 Whelan, and the 9.3x62 become largely academic - UNTIL you consider the fact that the former could be had in an autoloader, and the latter two could not.

I'd want to try to read between the lines on Teddy's arsenal as relayed in the press. He was a pretty outspoken fan of Winchester in his earlier days, but how he displayed his enthusiasm for other brands isn't known to me. He was certainly enough in touch with the firearms industry of the time to have been aware of the Winchester/Browning schism, and astute enough to "follow the player" when he went to another team.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you for posting this. It was a very interesting read.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I was always convinced that 35 Remington was good to go for power provided that distances were not too long.

My feelings about the 35 Rem influenced my first AR-15 acquisition. It was a 357 AR Max (same ballistics as 350 Legend). With the 16" barrel it comes up short of the 35 Remington by less than 50 fps. With a 18" barrel it would be a match. With the same 22" barrel, AR-15 based 35 cal guns are a smidge better than the 35 Rem in a Model 8 for speed and much better for magazine capacity. Not bad at all considering the price point of an AR-15.

I chuckle when people question any of these rounds. A 35 cal 200 grn bullet launched at over 2000 fps will do the job just fine.