Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: What is my barrel telling me?

Boolit Bub

What is my barrel telling me?

I just completed my first work up in my Winchester 94 in 32 special. Using the RCBS 32-170-FN, sized just over .323”, gator gas check and Ben’s red for lube. I feel like the barrel is telling me something I’m just not sure what. Starting load was 19 grains IMR 3031, finishing at 28 grains. Every ten rounds I cleaned the barrel so I could check for leading. the first few cleanings the patch went through easily as though greased (go figure) and came out very black. Each cleaning after showed less residue and more resistance. Is this just the lube getting expended at higher loads and doing it’s job, leaving less in the barrel? Is it telling me that increasing the load much above this I’ll run into leasing as the lube is used up? I’d like to run another work up after hunting season to see if I can crest 2100 fps, I just ran out of time.

There is petroleum products in it.
    As the speed goes up, so should the temp of the powder flame & barrel.
    If that's true, some of the lube left behind the boolit in the barrel might just be getting burned
    and leave some black soot/residue in the barrel along with the powder residue.
    And with more powder, you'll be getting more powder residue as your charge weights go up.

As speeds go up, so does the requirements of the lube, and your alloy.
    There's old threads here with guys telling of getting into the low 2,000s using it and no problems.

I use a fair amount of 3031 and Lyman's Orange Magic in different cartridges and get plenty of black residue
    when I clean them, especially the .45-70 even with jacketed bullets.

Ben's red is a real favorite lube with a lot of folks, and has been for a long, long time.
    If you're getting good accuracy and it isn't leading-- I wouldn't worry about it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-13-2022 at 02:38 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banner Sponsor

My thought is just the opposite.
    The black fouling is because of the low pressure and iincomplete burn of the powder...
    I would go ahead and increase the powder until your accuracy goes to pot or you get leading. Then back off to the last good load.

If you want to go that fast use a gas check. I’m scared of leading don’t risk it.