RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Mold handles

Boolit Master

Mold handles

What do you have? How do you store them? I have been asked to do this one so thought Id share here.

There is one set I mention looking just like RCBS but not marked. I had my Suspicions. But was not sure good friend tells me they are Lachmiller handles.

https://youtu.be/yIp2QoDFTMw
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I have several bullet molds from different manufacturers. From this experience I have come to the conclusion that mold handles are like cell phone chargers: a set of mold handles will not fit any other manufacturers molds except their own. Now I'm certain that this isn't actually true - it's just that I haven't seen it yet. Sometimes a set of handles will look like it's going to work, but then it turns out the holes are the wrong size, or are in the wrong place, or the metal's too thick, etc. This only makes sense; why would half a dozen companies keep making mold handles if one of their competitors handles would fit everything? Mold makers gotta make a buck too. As for storage, I just keep them in a cabinet with all the molds.

Boolit Master
    I’ve been lucky: I have Lee, Accurate and MP gang molds, and they all take the Lee handle and use the cammed sprue cutter. Mina also sells his own versions, and while I haven’t used them on any mold other than his, I’d guess they’d fit on the others.

I’ve never cast with more than two molds during a session, so two sets would do in a pinch, but I have plenty more, all sitting in an ammo can along with the extra sprue plate lube, pins, and other spare mold hardware. Having the spares also will let me screw up mods like cross pinning the handles (one of those “one of these days” projects).

Boolit Master
    I started casting for revolvers and refused to get involved with a mold less than 4 cavity. I only have 2 molds with different handles, a Lyman 429421 and a Ballisti Cast (H&G) 1103. Everything else fits Lee handles. I've had a time or two when a pin stuck or something else went wrong and changing handles became a project. I've tried to have handles for each mold but I get behind and swipe a pair from the least used mold. Every so often I'll buy enough Lee Commercial handles to get free shipping and all the molds have handles again. This time though the handles are $25, maybe Sharing is in order.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Bub
    I’ve acquired 2 Lyman, 2 RCBS, 1 Saeco, 1 NOE, 1 M&P and probably a half dozen LEE. Some bought new, some used. Don’t have a set for every mold, not planning to either. Like to have what fits properly and don’t mind swapping them as needed. Had a few others that have been given or “lent” away. Usually with a mold attached.

LEE’s are my least favorite. Handles are too thin, get loose and the metal is more fragile than others. I drill them now and use a cotter pin. Lyman’s handles are good size for me but that dang rivet gets HOT! Saeco’s and RCBS are my current favorites I guess.

Always on the lookout for used handles. Not a priority but if priced right I’ll pick them up.

Boolit Mold
    I do have a set of Lyman, Saeco and Lee handles but they just sit inside the cabinet shelf. The ones I use everytime for the past 25 years is a locking pair that was made by cabin tree. The only mold that I have that doesn't fit these handles is the one Saeco mold I have.

Boolit Buddy
    The handles that look like RCBS, unmarked and painted black, were made by Ohaus.
    Just like Ohaus molds, they were sold in black themed packaging.

After they bought Ohaus, RCBS began producing molds in the same designs that Ohaus made.
    But they made them on the 2 cavity block design that Lachmiller used, right down to the round headed sprue plate screw.

Lachmiller handles resembled the H&G handles but were stamped of thinner metal.
    So RCBS used the best block design from one, and the best handle design from the other,
    of the two companies they bought to get started in the bullet mold business.

Edit to add:
    I enjoyed your video CW, learned some things myself
    and am sure it will help a lot of casters....very well done!
    Last edited by Cord; 11-13-2022 at 09:47 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I mostly have Lyman handles but I have one set of Thompson-Center handles that also fit old Lyman/Ideal single cavity molds. I also have 2 sets of early Lyman/Ideal single cavity molds and 2 more sets of Lyman 2 cavity mold handles. Since Lee mold have the handles permanently attached, there's no need to talk about those. I've never branched into the Lee 6 cavity molds so I don't have the need for any of those handles...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker