RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Food Dehydrators

Boolit Grand Master

Food Dehydrators

Any suggestions short of commercial machines? We are looking at a small Nesco with metal racks
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I've got a couple of the plastic round types that I love. They're about thirteen or so inches diameter, and you can stack the trays as high as you want. I've got one with top heat, and one with bottom heat. Probably twenty racks total. I've used them with both heating fans at at the same time.

They work great for the jerky, fruit and herbs we normally do, but not big enough for fish fillets. What I really like about them, is they're small and easy to store, and quick and easy for small batches. I don't always like to make a huge project out of what I'm doing -- if I did, I'd go bigger. jd

Kind of a coincidence, I'm sitting here eating dried apples that I did just a few days ago.
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Vendor Sponsor

I *think* this is the one I have, it's a square 8 tray by Weston for Realtree. Got it and a Weston seal a meal machine with a bunch of bags $40 for both, from Craigslist.. I much prefer the square one over the round ones.

https://www.harvestessentials.com/we...5-0101-rt.html

Quote Originally Posted by bbogue1 View Post
    The trays are actually mesh plastic screens covering the tray not the tray itself. which allows the tray cover to be rolled or bent to get the food to release.
    The Weston has these screens as well, small stuff like fruit slices or basil leaves don't fall through.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-12-2022 at 08:04 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    We have an Excalibur food dehydrator. Nine 15×15 trays. We've used to make jerky, and have dehydrated apple slices. It has only one fan, but multiple heat settings. Don't remember how much we paid, but we're glad we have it.

Moderator Emeritus

We have the COSORI Food Dehydrator from Amazon. Going for $150 now. We like it and solidly built. I do have the round plastic dehydrator that got relegated to drying brass.

My opinion. We have used the round tray dehydrators for years and years then we bought an Excaliber. What a difference. Dries green things green not brownish. More odor and flavors are retained., the trays are actually mesh plastic screens covering the tray not the tray itself. which allows the tray cover to be rolled or bent to get the food to release without pre-spraying. The temp is set by degrees and it holds the temp which is why it does such a good job. The tray covers will discolor, but that takes a lot of effort. It comes with a Teflon or silicone tray cover for making leathers. Bigger than the round trays, but does a better job in my opinion. The only con is it is pricey.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master

the Excalibur is the top of the line dehydrator. it costs more but its worth it. my wife has a few of them but since she got a freeze dryer she hardly uses the dehydrators. if you are just looking to play around any will do but if you think you will get serious with food dehydrating, get an Excalibur.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Yes, you could go that way. Imo, eventually you will grow tired of replenishing the 3-small trays time and time again when for about the same money you can get one of the round ones and additional trays (hoodat). I did this too.

Would I enjoy a large "near" commercial unit? Maybe, but for less initial cost I have been well served by the original unit with additional trays for more than a dozen years.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.