Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid question of the day - anyone ever PC muzzleloader bullets?

Boolit Buddy
    This is my point exactly, cutting lead off the ball changes the weight and center of gravity possibly affecting accuracy. On the original subject of PC bullets, I have shot them through my ROAs, 250 grn 452 from Bear Creek. They shoot accurately enough but tend to leave a residue in the barrel that's hard to remove. Just something to consider when trying out something like this. I was able to hit a Jackrabbit or two around 70 ish yards with them. Clean up was not particularly fun.

Boolit Buddy
    I have PCd some 50 maxi balls and had good results with and without lube. Either way, no big mess. I wipe between shots so no reason to use lube. It will enlarge the bullet. If it's tight without pc it won't fit with it. I sized them to 501.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit1957 View Post
    Here we are back to revolvers cutting a ring off the ball/ bullet. Has any one actually seen specific instructions from Colt or Remington or any other manufacturers that specifically say the ball has to have a ring cut off of it?? I set my pistols up to compress the ball into the chambers so no lead is cut off. I have had the lead ring bind cylinders it they happened to get caught between the cylinder and barrel. Also I think it effects accuracy on acount of shaving more off on one side. So if there are actual instructions from a cap and ball revolver out there on shaving lead from a bullet or ball please enlighten us all.
    so ......a little taper on the chamber so it swages instead of cutting a ring? thats the other way of doing it - end result similar = a little flat around the centre of the ball

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dave951 View Post
    High speed video shot by some NMLRA guys proved chain fires result from poorly fitting caps on nipples assuming the ball is swaged into the front of the cylinder. All the grease on the front of the cylinder does is to keep fouling soft.
    I tend to agree but "PROVE" is a very big word in these circumstances

have had one chain fire in my life and it was the ONE time I neglected to grease the front end

I dont know which end caused the problem but two went off when one should have - first shot out of a new (second hand) gun and I didnt even realise until the hammer fell dead on number five (a .36 pocket - I loaded em all and fired four times)

front and rear end always a possibility for a flashover/extra discharge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12