MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full Wadcutter in 32 H&R/327 Fed Mag

Boolit Grand Master
    Bob,

If you really want a lever action 327, take a look at the offerings from Henry. They have the octagon barrel I want, but only in a pimped-out version with gold plating etc. The offer a plain model, both in carbine and short rifle versions, but at this time it is only available with a round barrel and plain furniture. When I win my second Power Ball™ Lottery (the first is already spent!) I plan to walk into Anthony Imperato's office with a briefcase full of cash and make a "special order". The lever gun of my dreams would be have a 16" octagon barrel with straight stock and the quick detachable scope block and tang and globe iron sights. Yes, when amphibians dream, we dream big and in full detail!

As for my 32s around the house, there are a few more, but they are definitely "on the block". I figure a couple for each cartridge is plenty. The problem is, they kept following me home!!

Froggie

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Have handled the Henry and would probably take one of the Big Loop Lever 16.5" carbines if I ran across one...but I just like the looks and balance of the Marlin better. A friend had one of the Marlin 1894 octagon .32 H&R Magnum and it was just too heavy and unbalanced....

I do have a couple of .32 ACP pistols...a 70s vintage Walther PP and a couple of KelTec P32s...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by green frog View Post
    bob,

if you really want a lever action 327, take a look at the offerings from henry. They have the octagon barrel i want, but only in a pimped-out version with gold plating etc. The offer a plain model, both in carbine and short rifle versions, but at this time it is only available with a round barrel and plain furniture. When i win my second power ball™ lottery (the first is already spent!) i plan to walk into anthony imperato's office with a briefcase full of cash and make a "special order". The lever gun of my dreams would be have a 16" octagon barrel with straight stock and the quick detachable scope block and tang and globe iron sights. Yes, when amphibians dream, we dream big and in full detail!

As for my 32s around the house, there are a few more, but they are definitely "on the block". I figure a couple for each cartridge is plenty. The problem is, they kept following me home!!

Froggie

froggie
    yes

Lurking on this thread because a while back I got hold of a couple thousand commercial hard cast DEWC in .314. Looking to use them in my two .327s (LCR & Single-Seven) and maybe for plinking / small game loads for my Ruger 7.62x39 bolt gun.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the Henry 16.5" carbine in 327 federal. I can not possibly imagine a better little lever action rifle. It's trim, nimble, and well balanced. It might be 6.5 pounds. The bigger models get heavy fast. i think the big octagon barrel version is 7.5 pounds or more. The same carbine in 357 magnum would be fine too if you were big into the 35/38's. I'm big into the 30/32's. Put a shorter stock on it, and I don't think a better rifle exists for young kids. I shot a deer with mine last year with a 143gr HP at 1650 fps, and I am thoroughly impressed with what it did. You would be hard pressed to find the difference between that and a 30-30 Win wound. Of course the 30-30 would smash it beyond 100 yards, but I wouldn't buy a 16.5" lever carbine for over 100 yard shots anyway.

Boolit Master

Interested in this thread. I just ordered a Ruger Single Six in .32 H&R Christmas Eve and only have a Lee 90 gr TLSWC mold at the moment.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Grand Master
    Congratulations, CD. If you “only” have the Lee TLSWC mould, you “only” have one of the most versatile bullets out there for the 32s. I’ve loaded a bunch of those (or the swaged equivalent) in 32 S&W L and H&R and they rock! You can go heavier or lighter, and you can go with all sorts of nose styles (or WCs with no nose at all!) but if you concentrate on the mould you have, that one bullet will do virtually everything you need to do with a 32 H&R. Later you might want to go with something heavier, say 105-115 gr or so, or perhaps a full wadcutter, or a round nose, but don’t feel like you have to go out right away and buy more moulds (says the guy who has about a dozen 32 pistol moulds!) Have fun!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    MP makes a nice-lookin 8-cavity that should drop DEWCs like rats drop turds:

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/32-...aluminum-mold/

I can vouch for its .360 big brother.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    Interested in this thread. I just ordered a Ruger Single Six in .32 H&R Christmas Eve and only have a Lee 90 gr TLSWC mold at the moment.

CD
    That is maybe the only bullet I tumble lube. Put it with a low dose of BE and it just works. The RCBS 98 swc is a great choice as it any of the wadcutters. Like Froggie said, if you only have one that is the one to have.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    MP makes a nice-lookin 8-cavity that should drop DEWCs like rats drop turds:

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/32-...aluminum-mold/

I can vouch for its .360 big brother.
    Only one thing wrong with that scenario, Jtarm. When Dale53 got that mould, he had a devil of a time getting the bullets to come out of the mould at all. He is an experienced caster and owned about 50+ moulds when I last checked and that was the one mould he never could get to drop the bullets well. He is a big believer in MP moulds, but there was just something about those cavities that made them hold onto the bullets instead of releasing them like every other MP mould we've used. They were sure pretty if you could coax them out though!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Only one thing wrong with that scenario, Jtarm. When Dale53 got that mould, he had a devil of a time getting the bullets to come out of the mould at all. He is an experienced caster and owned about 50+ moulds when I last checked and that was the one mould he never could get to drop the bullets well. He is a big believer in MP moulds, but there was just something about those cavities that made them hold onto the bullets instead of releasing them like every other MP mould we've used. They were sure pretty if you could coax them out though!

Froggie
    I’ve got one or two sticky cavities on mine, too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I’ve got one or two sticky cavities on mine, too.
    I'm sure Dale's MP mould could have been reworked (maybe a little, maybe more) and gotten better, but he got kinda discouraged fighting with it and since he had about a dozen other 32 moulds including the six cavity Lee TLWC, he just sorta neglected it. I haven't decided what I want to do with it yet because I also got that Lee 6 banger from him when he retired from casting.

Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Here is some info from Lyman’s cast bullet handbook 4th edition. Attachment 306775
    Is this data for .32 long, .32 H&R mag or .327 Federal mag? Thanks
    Romans 10:9"...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."

My trading feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post3092680

The MP molds .32 DEWC is a shooter. I bought mine back in a group buy. He forgot to ship mine, I had to remind him a month after everyone else got theirs. The mold was in good shape, but the sprue plate was hosed. I bought a Lee replacement, and made it work.

Although I have had the mold for many years, I shot it last weekend for the first time. 1.6 grains of BE in a S&W Long case seated to the crimp groove. It shot to the point of aim at 7 yards and you simply couldn't miss. We had a half dozen .32's with us. Longs, H&R and .327's. It shot very well out of all of them. I had the same charge of BE under the NOE hollow point WC - and it wasn't even close in the accuracy department. That MP DEWC hit an AR-500 Pig Silhouette at 50 yards every single trigger pull with an Airweight S&W 32 H&R J-Frame Snubbie. I was impressed to say the least.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I did not see this post when I posted mine about WC in 32 H&R and 327. I ordered the MP mold myself, and I am going to try my best with Bullseye and Unique because that is what this old timer uses in most of his revolver loads. I just bought a Ruger LCR 327 and I hope it is strong enough for some experimenting. I use the 4th Edition of Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for everything that I cast. The loads posted for H&R and 327 seem like they can be improved upon, and I hope that I can do it safely. I have a couple I frame 32 longs as well, but no 32 long cases. I have 32 H&R cases and 327 cases, so that is where I am starting. If I need another powder, that will come later. Another problem I have is I have never bought a chronograph, and that maybe needs to be the next purchase. I want a safe reliable carry round from the LCR, and if I have to I will use factory rounds and practice with my reloads I will do that. I think the LCR will be a great CCW.

Moderator Emeritus

Green Frog, did you get as good of accuracy as with an SWC with your wadcutter project?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Not conclusive... both gave satisfactory results but I didn’t go deeply enough into accuracy testing to really draw conclusions.
    I hope to test the Lee TL WCs vs SWCs sometime this Spring.
    Froggie

Boolit Master
    Well, for what it is worth I have an Accurate 31-115H on the way for my .30 Super Carry Smiths after reading Shoestring's posts on his 31-117E. This cartridge does not provide quite as much starch as the .327 Federal, but it seems to be no slouch in a magazine gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12