Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Source/ideas for Lee brass feeder tubing?

Source/ideas for Lee brass feeder tubing?

I'm loading .44-40 on a Lee Loadmaster (will probably upgrade to the new Six Pack Pro soon), and for my purposes the Lee case feeders (which are universal to all their progressives) would be just fine, though I might invest in an aftermarket feeder with auto collator at some point. Problem is, the Lee case feeder tubes are just barely too small for the rims of .44-40, at roughly .515 ID and .565 OD. They'll feed .45 Colt fine with it's rim diameter of .510, but the .44-40 rim diameter is .517-.519. I believe .38-40 shares that head diameter too. Roy Bertalotto has a great article on his blog here http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/lee...-40-44-40.html on making some copper feed tubes, but I would love the lightness and most of all visibility of clear plastic. I could cut a slot window in the copper tubes, but it would still be less noticeable when brass ran low. I thought about reaming the factory tubes out with a drill, which won't leave them nice and clear but might work. I could add some of the aftermarket stabilizer clips to the four tubes for extra rigidity. I found a source for tubing with a near-perfect ID and very close OD here https://store.visipak.com/1-2-x-4-he...-plastic-tube/ but I am doubtful that I could find 130 other people that needed the extra. Anyone have any low budget ideas on this?
    Jordan Goodwin, Blacksmith
    www.axe-n-anvil.com

I also wonder about tubes from other brands of feeders. Someone said Dillon 650 feeders feed 44-40 slicker'n corn through a goose- I may look at ordering some spare tubes to try.
    www.axe-n-anvil.com

Where I've gotten all mine was from here:

https://www.petmountain.com/product/...?variant=62149

Walls are 1/32" thick. That means 9/16" tubing 9/16" outside diameter and 1/2" diameter inside. Likewise, 5/8" outside diameter is 9/16" diameter inside. They are 36" long so cutting them in half is like Lee Precision's normal 18" long tubes. In most case they telescope one into the next size pretty good.....there are exceptions.....I think they are made in China and the Quality control creates those few exceptions. Overall I have loved them. They used to be a lot cheaper before Covid and the Democrats.

BTW I'm pretty sure Lee Precision's 4-tube Universal uses the 9/16 O.D. that converts to .56 decimal so you're looking for 5/8" tubing for your caliber need.

BTW, again, I have telescoped this tubing successfully using super glue to fix it. Of course using a case bevel tool on the inner tube where the cases fall down toward is advisable, to prevent a case from hanging on a ledge.

Last BTW....The Lee company who makes Lee Thinwall tubing is a different company from Lee Precision.
    Last edited by GWS; 11-14-2022 at 12:43 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm looking at my case feeder and I don't think there is any way you will get a plastic tube that will do what you want. The tubes they come with are already super thin. I don't see any way to modify the current mount to fit a bigger tube. Two ideas come to my mind.

#1, you could buy either 2"x2"x" square or 2"x2" round aluminum stock. You could then make your own mount for bigger tube, probably 11/16" OD, maybe 5/8" if you want. This could be done with nothing but a hand drill and some drill bits.

#2 Instead of copper tubing, try aluminum tubing and cut a window in that. McMaster Carr 7237K42 should do the trick.

Try McMaster-Carr. www.mcmaster.com
    Cognitive Dissident

^ yep, they have just about everything.

Boolit Master
    I don’t load on a Lee progressive but I use a Lee APP (uses the same universal case feeder). I’m not positive but I think if you Have a problem with the ID Have a problem with the ID of the tube you’ll probably have the same problem with the base of the case feeder. As far as poly tubing lotta icemakers use a lot of different size tubes. Before I got the universal case feeder I just went down and bought some plastic tubing and filled a bunch of the tubes up before I start processing brass. then as the one emptied I just put another tube on top and let the cases flow in. If you’re not absolutely dead set on clear plastic, I bring an empty case to a plumbing supply. Thin walled cheap PVC might be an option.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

@JuliettDeltaGolf: I created a 3D print file that just might do what you want with that Lee Universal. I'm going to print it and test it if you or anyone else have an interest. If you don't I won't waste my time. What it amounts to, is a part that will slide over Lee's universal and allow 5/8" Lee thin wall tubing to slide in and stop on top of Lee's part. That means since the part just slides over the top of the Lee part it will be the same size inside diameter as the inside of the Lee 4-way tube holder with no tubes inside or 9/16". As long as your cases will go in 9/16", it should work. In this adapter the small hole is 5/8" D, so the 5/8" tube goes in and inside diameter is 9/16" (.5625")

Here's what it looks like from the bottom looking up.....

You'd still have to buy two of the 5/8" 36" long tubes ($10 each) from the source in my first post and cut them in half to make 4 18" long tubes.
    Last edited by GWS; 11-17-2022 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    @JuliettDeltaGolf: I created a 3D print file that just might do what you want with that Lee Universal. I'm going to print it and test it if you or anyone else have an interest. If you don't I won't waste my time. What it amounts to, is a part that will slide over Lee's universal and allow 5/8" Lee thin wall tubing to slide in and stop on top of Lee's part. That means since the part just slides over the top of the Lee part it will be the same size inside diameter as the inside of the Lee 4-way tube holder with no tubes inside or 9/16". As long as your cases will go in 9/16", it should work. In this adapter the small hole is 5/8" D, so the 5/8" tube goes in and inside diameter is 9/16" (.5625")

Here's what it looks like from the bottom looking up.....

You'd still have to buy two of the 5/8" 36" long tubes ($10 each) from the source in my first post and cut them in half to make 4 18" long tubes.

Brilliant! Excellent idea! If it tests out good, I'd love to buy one from you! Now if I could get someone to print a case collator like the factory one except sized for those larger tubes... But why couldn't one of these adapters be epoxied on? So maybe I need two! And if you offered a kit, I feel like others would definitely be interested.

To those saying larger tubes won't work with the other Lee case feeder parts- did you read the blog article that I linked to? Roy turns the copper he uses down, and then judiciously files out the female fittings on both ends. This is what I was considering, but it would certainly be a lot of trouble, and your tubes would have to be JUST big enough ID, which is hard to find. GWS has a much better idea I think.
    www.axe-n-anvil.com

Quote Originally Posted by JuliettDeltaGolf View Post
    Brilliant! Excellent idea! If it tests out good, I'd love to buy one from you! Now if I could get someone to print a case collator like the factory one except sized for those larger tubes... But why couldn't one of these adapters be epoxied on? So maybe I need two! And if you offered a kit, I feel like others would definitely be interested.

To those saying larger tubes won't work with the other Lee case feeder parts- did you read the blog article that I linked to? Roy turns the copper he uses down, and then judiciously files out the female fittings on both ends. This is what I was considering, but it would certainly be a lot of trouble, and your tubes would have to be JUST big enough ID, which is hard to find. GWS has a much better idea I think.
    Okay, I printed the part.....seems to work. What I don't have is a copy of the caliber case you have......but here's a quick video to show you anyway....

You don't need to epoxy anything, it's stable as long as you don't turn it upside down. As for Lee's case collator....don't need to print one...just buy an extra one they are cheap enough. then cut the unneeded appendage off the bottom, so you have a flat surface to drill, and drill a 5/8" hole half way through. Don't drill through or the tubes will have to be glued to it. You will notice I used the only 5/8" scrap tubing I had....you will have to buy 2 36" 5/8" thinline tubes from that aquarium place.

PM me your address and I will send you this thing.....I don't think I want to go into business (I'm trying to retire).....so Merry Christmas.
    Last edited by GWS; 11-17-2022 at 06:57 PM.

Dude this is freaking awesome! Thank you SO much, PM incoming!
    www.axe-n-anvil.com

.......... As for Lee's case collator....don't need to print one...just buy an extra one they are cheap enough. then cut the unneeded appendage off the bottom, so you have a flat surface to drill, and drill a 5/8" hole half way through. Don't drill through or the tubes will have to be glued to it.
    After posting that, I thought I ought to test the above......and Lee's plastic would not hold up to drilling through. So I'm designing an "upper" for the tubing. It'll still require its own Lee Shaker, but we got to get rid of the ledges inside the red hangdown under the shaker bowl....that means half or so of that appendage I cut off with a hack saw and am making a replacement for the new 5/8" tubes. (I cut 3/4" below the bowl)

The top half of hangdown is fine.....no change or drilling necessary.

So hang on this weekend, and I'll send you the upper part too. Will send both out Monday Morning, by priority Flat rate. You, in the meantime, need to order 2--36" long 5/8" Thinline tubes.....that'll cost you $20 plus shipping if there is any.

I'll add a picture or two here, this weekend.

I'm having a hard time finding new 5/8" tubing for a decent price.....and the link I posted is worthless at least this week.....Pet Mountain is out of 5/8" tubing.

So even if a little ridiculous-looking, with it's tube remnants instead of tubes, here's a video of the finished product. And a rifle bowl add on too. Now the new Lee Pro 6000 with only it's pistol shaker-feeder can case feed even long rifle cases.

Boolit Master
    Not brass tubing but plastic tubing for brass...

OK, I get case/bullet tubing at Pet Mountain, they have most any size you would need but it's not cheap.

https://www.petmountain.com/product/...?variant=19894

Some here too, but thicker wall:
    https://www.canalplastic.com/collect...nt=33210086606

And ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...temCondition=4
    sorry for the echo if these sites have already been posted.

Last edited by Kenstone; 11-21-2022 at 12:41 AM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Not brass but plastic

OK, I get case/bullet tubing at Pet Mountain, they have most any size you would need but it's not cheap.

https://www.petmountain.com/product/...?variant=19894

Some here too, but thicker wall:
    https://www.canalplastic.com/collect...nt=33210086606

And ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...temCondition=4
    sorry for the echo if these sites have already been posted.

I decided to order some too. But Pet Mountain was totally out of 5/8" thinwall, which you need to match Lee's tubing (I think JullietDeltaGolf got the last two!)....the thick stuff would put you back to the I.S. diameter of the smaller tubing. I did do a search and at least found some more.....but you have to buy 6. that's enough for 3 Lee shakers! Oh well, I use the stuff. The tubing isn't priced as high as Pet Mountain....but then you tack on the Shipping...ugh.

Anyway here's this other link: https://shop.petlife.com/products/le...ing-5-8-x-3-ft

Boolit Master
    I decided to order some too. But Pet Mountain was totally out of 5/8" thinwall, which you need to match Lee's tubing (I think JullietDeltaGolf got the last two!)....the thick stuff would put you back to the I.S. diameter of the smaller tubing. I did do a search and at least found some more.....but you have to buy 6. that's enough for 3 Lee shakers! Oh well, I use the stuff. The tubing isn't priced as high as Pet Mountain....but then you tack on the Shipping...ugh.

Anyway here's this other link: https://shop.petlife.com/products/le...ing-5-8-x-3-ft
    Thanks for the link
    Saved for future needs.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.