RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with old reloading equipment?

Boolit Buddy

What to do with old reloading equipment?

I have been going through my reloading stuff and getting rid of some things that have been collected over the years. How does a person get so much stuff? But, to the question at hand, what does a person do with old reloading equipment, hate to throw it away, but not sure is has much value.

I have 2 Latchmiller single stage presses, look like they were set up to remove the primers from shotgun hulls.
    There is a set of Latchmiller 44 special / magnum dies.
    A Bonanza Bulls-eye power measure.
    A CR Specialty single stage press.
    2 Hollywood GunShop power measures, missing handles.
    And other stuff.

What do you think, should they get tossed into the garbage, is there a vintage reloading museum that would take them? Any other ideas?
    Thanks,

Boolit Grand Master
    If you can send photos, it will help a lot in the various descriptions. Post them in the "swappin' -sellin'" thread or spread them out in the "pay it forward" thread. Trust me - somebody wants it.

Put 'em on Swapping & Selling.
    You won't make your fortune with them, but somebody that wants and appreciates them will step up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Definitely worth passing on I think. The dies are something old be interested to have, maybe one of the powder measures. For me, I like messing with that older less common stuff. I’d probably get more excited out of a box with old reloading junk than a box with a Dillion in it though.

I wouldn't throw it away, at least give it to someone.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would post in the swap and sell.
    Take a little work on your part, but pictures would help.
    You could also "pass it on" for just the shipping.
    Again, a little work on your part.
    Lots of members, like me, enjoy finding stuff to use or pass on.

Boolit Master

I build a box about 16" high by 12" wide and 30 or so inches long. Then I mount a press and a powder measure. Then I give it to someone who has shown an interest in hand loading. Once I find out what they want to load I will put in a set of dies, an appropriate powder, 100 bullets and 100 primers. I spend a few hours with them letting them load their bullets. I tell them to take it and keep it if they like loading, if they don't like it to bring it back. In the last 50 years I have only had one brought back.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Put it in Swap n Sell. Myself I prefer the older equipment and will pick up what I am interested in when ever I see it.
    Facta non verba

Those holleywood powder measures will go quick in S&S. Post em. As the presses go, I bet they go quick!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Definitely not worthy of the garbage. Sell it, trade it or give it away. Like old tractors that stuff is usable forever.

I'd look around for a novice or person very new to reloading and give it to them.

DG

Your question has been answered.. us dummies will send you money for it.

Another technique would be to put the whole batch together on a single auction, money to be given to the forum for operating expenses. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

old tools never die.
    please, don't bury them in the dump !
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    That nice young guy that posts here is trying to get more involved in reloading. Wolf dog and some numbers if i recall. he seems loke a worthy recipient.

Boolit Master
    Wolfdog91

Boolit Master
    There may come a time in the not-too-distant future, when reloading equipment is difficult to find, very expensive, or even no longer made. In my younger days, I could not imagine such a thing, but THESE days...
    Don't junk or melt down ANYTHING that can be saved. Give it to someone. If you can't find someone who has a use for it, keep it until you or your survivors do.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

What is a CR Specialty press? give or sell to somebody.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, you guys surprised me, that someone might want it. I figured it was just old junk.
    Guess I'll have to figure out how to post pictures to the site and put them for sale.

If you are not aware, Brass Magnet does a giveaway for Christmas. He collects whatever reloading equipment throughout the year, assembles some helpers then about this time of year usually announces in Our Town/Helping Hands that the Tumbleweed Christmas is looking for potential reloaders and needy reloaders to send a story of why they would like to have some equipment then he'll pay for the shipping to send it to reloaders and potential reloaders who are in need. None of it is new. His helpers help out, too. Sometimes a helper will send new, but, most of the older equipment and supplies are in good shape and for someone who wants to get started or move to another level he is a God send. Send a PM to BrassMagnet and see what you can do. I'm sure he's always looking for helpers and equipment. Just go to your name in the sign-in box (upper right corner), click on your forum name (DaveW), click on the UserCP and send a message to BrassMagnet
    Last edited by bbogue1; 11-12-2022 at 10:55 PM.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
    Wow, you guys surprised me, that someone might want it. I figured it was just old junk.
    Guess I'll have to figure out how to post pictures to the site and put them for sale.
    LOL! This place is chock full of old geezers that just LOVE old junk.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast