WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: Argentinean Parrilla (grill), experience?

Boolit Master

Argentinean Parrilla (grill), experience?

I'm building one now.

Does anyone here have real experience using one, or links to videos etc. Suggestions

Boolit Buddy

Have you looked on Pinterst. Have seen pictures of them posted there but never opened because I am dutch oven or smoker fan Looks interesting! GW

Moderator Emeritus

I have eaten at several. Authentic ones in Argentina are wood fired, slope about 1 degree to the front and are usually outside or in a very well vented patio. They like a hot sear and used to give you two choices "Bien Cocido"[translated well cooked meaning mostly pink all the way through with only a little red] o " Medio Crudo" [translated half raw meaning a mix of red and purple but generally warm].
    I think it is more of a style of cooking than the grill but that's me.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I live in Argentina, and I have cooked on the grill for most of my life.
    So I know all the ways to roast meat with charcoal, firewood, briquettes, etc.
    Here is like the national sport
    So ask what you want

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the PM nueces5!

Not a Spanish speaker, but been watching a bunch of South American grill masters prep meat and play with fire. I don't have to understand the words to get instruction. It appears there are more than one design of parrilla, from simple grates on bricks to elaborate movable grate setups.

https://youtu.be/ENXy4GlUjlc
    This is mine, not my design, but it was already here when I moved.
    My terrace needs a good cleaning and a coat of paint, hahahahaha
    It is outdoors and it would be a good idea to put some doors on it, so that it cooks faster.

Boolit Master
    Traditionally, only salt was used as seasoning - and beef was the primary meat. That has changed with time, pork and chicken are cooked now, with other seasonings. I've also eaten cabrito that was roasted a la parrilla - was very good.

Long, slow charcoal fire is good - but the meat goes over the coals...instead of indirectly, like BBQ.

Boolit Master
    I used it for the first time today. Steaks and beef spare ribs cooked over mixed hardwood coals, and they turned out fantastic! I can hardly wait to do pork ribs.

Nueces, what is the name of the wood in Argentina that is used to grill, similar to Mesquite in the US?
    By the way, your grill looks very similar to the grill outside the kitchen of the hunting lodge in Aryeito owned by Ariel Goldman and Junior Mayer.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

This reminds me that I have a new cooker to assemble.

Boolit Master
    Some one somewhere said, "you'll use a lot more wood than you think you will.".
    That's for sure, but I can buy a 10x16 trailer load of hardwood pallet cutoffs for less than what two bags of lump charcoal cost me. Not to mention after every spring storm I can probably collect as much as I want free. It's definitely not the way to go if your only going to cook a few burgers. We cooked about 20lbs of different meats on it Friday and it was all fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Nueces, what is the name of the wood in Argentina that is used to grill, similar to Mesquite in the US?
    By the way, your grill looks very similar to the grill outside the kitchen of the hunting lodge in Aryeito owned by Ariel Goldman and Junior Mayer.
    Hi, here the best is "espinillo" veeery smelly wood,
    It makes quite a bit of smoke when it's lighting, so I take advantage of it.
    But many people use other types of hardwood like Quebracho, which grows here in South America.