Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin Issues.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by shootinfox2 View Post
    It has a lot to do with cartridge overall length. If you load 38 to .357 length, they will function. The timing of the carrier does not rise fast enough to stop the second shorter round from entering the action. Hence, letting in two, causing the jam. Raising the nose of the carrier causes it to lift earlier and prevents the second round from leaving the magazine. Hope this helps.
    Indeed it does, shootinfox2, and a big THANK YOU! Frankly, I'm gonna' just keep the "38 ONLY!" label on... too scary for this old fart to, perhaps, have a .38 S&W round not sufficiently not-seated -- to be, say, .001" short! But, thanks to you, I now know the reason why.
    geo

Always wanted to try this .375x45-70 in a Marlin. Just never got around to it.

"Always wanted to try this .375x45-70 in a Marlin. Just never got around to it." Good Cheer

It of course has been done, the 38-56, but with so much taper on the body of the case, that ballistically it didn't improve much over the 38-55.
    With an Ackley improved style cartridge, should offer significant advantages. On the modern 1895 however, you still run into the weakening of the
    action with ejection port cut outs to take the oversized 45-70 rim. The 450M with the change in barrel thread style/depth, would, I suggest,
    make for a stronger, more capable cartridge. You'd need to start with a 338MX chamber/bore. Get JES to rebore and then a custom reamer,
    with the belt.

On the original large frame Marlin 1895, at least there's more meat in the barrel threads to receiver. Then you run into heat treating and metallurgy
    of the larger frame. Possibly a CCH receiver would help. Definitely food for thought on how to get a stronger action.

My $.02
    A population of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

Putting the radius on the cam, can cause the Marlin Jam. Be prepared to follow the fix for the Dread Marlin Jam I published some years ago.
    You can find the write up here:
    https://www.ktgunsmith.com/marlinjam.htm
    Casting for .38 spec, .44 spec/mag, .45 Colt, 38-55, 45-70 and .50ML.... and the boy's slingshot.
    Shake'n'bake powder coating is amazing. Thank you to the guys that developed and shared the process.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Indeed it does, shootinfox2, and a big THANK YOU! Frankly, I'm gonna' just keep the "38 ONLY!" label on... too scary for this old fart to, perhaps, have a .38 S&W round not sufficiently not-seated -- to be, say, .001" short! But, thanks to you, I now know the reason why.
    geo
    There's no need to be restrictive, should you chose to "fix' this.
    My 94 in 44Mag will feed anything from extra long 44mags with 320 grain bullets to .44 russian wad cutters.
    Its all in the adjustment of the carrier.
    Casting for .38 spec, .44 spec/mag, .45 Colt, 38-55, 45-70 and .50ML.... and the boy's slingshot.
    Shake'n'bake powder coating is amazing. Thank you to the guys that developed and shared the process.

Good thread. I shoot cas and installed a one piece firing pin eons ago in my .45 Cowboy Limited. Eventually had the ‘jam’ but a piece of coping saw blade and jbweld has fixed it and held up for 20 years. I believe the .45colt guns are more forgiving than the .38s are. Mine runs any weight bullet and Schofield loads.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty marlin View Post
    Putting the radius on the cam, can cause the Marlin Jam. Be prepared to follow the fix for the Dread Marlin Jam I published some years ago.
    You can find the write up here:
    https://www.ktgunsmith.com/marlinjam.htm
    In the article you published you say to put a .025-.035 radius on he Snail Cam. In your post you say don't do it? Is this a typo? I got the fix off Paco Kelly's www.Leverguns.com in 2005.

It was a well known fix for this problem for 30+ years, JM Marlin knew about it and never chose to fix it.

I did about a.015 radius on mine, the whole idea is to eliminate the sharp edge that scrapes away at the bottom of the lifter.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2370.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12