Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How Much Game Is Eaten At Your House?

Boolit Master

When I was a kid (60-70 years ago) The only food we got from the grocery store was staples. Flour, coffee and salt. Everything else we ate was raised or hunted. We had lots of catfish, ducks, venison, rabbits and squirrels. It seems that the best tasting meat was what we jacklighted or shot or snared out of season. Eating well while beating the system had a special appeal.

My wife and I eat mostly venison, we only buy chicken, lamb and bacon. we do our own butchering and also have a small vegetable and herb garden. Lunch most days consist of biltong, cabanossi or droewors( dried sausage). We normally hunt one large animal like a wildebeest or kudu and several smaller antelope like blesbuck, springbuck or Impala every year. I also take a few warthog every year as well as few geese. Sometimes we will have bass, but I have to admit that I'm not much of a fisherman.

Boolit Master

We go through about 2 whitetails a year. My wife was raised on a dairy/beef farm so it is tough to get her over that, whereas I don't think I actually had a beef steak until I was in the Navy. We'll eat fish (northern and panfish) a few dozen times each winter as we all prefer fish when they're caught through the ice.

Boolit Master
    We eat a couple deer each year. This past year I shot 4 but gave 1 of those away so need to eat a bit more to empty the freezer by next season. Since I've retired recently and eat at home more as a result it shouldn't be any problem. We eat venison every week of the year and sometimes have two recipes cooked at the same time. I love the cube steaks or minute steaks as my processor calls them. (Yeah, I got lazy the past few years and started using a processor.) I do admit though that I like to eat a beef ribeye steak about once a month when they go on sale. No matter what you do to venison it can't equal a ribeye for my taste.

It is a shame that paper targets have no nutritional value. If they did I wouldn't have to buy any groceries.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Quote Originally Posted by HP9MM View Post
    It is a shame that paper targets have no nutritional value. If they did I wouldn't have to buy any groceries.
    Not much of a mess to clean though and the season is open all year round.

I tried to hunt for my meat at Safeway, but they threw me out after the first shot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan Steyn View Post
    My wife and I eat mostly venison, we only buy chicken, lamb and bacon. we do our own butchering and also have a small vegetable and herb garden. Lunch most days consist of biltong, cabanossi or droewors( dried sausage). We normally hunt one large animal like a wildebeest or kudu and several smaller antelope like blesbuck, springbuck or Impala every year. I also take a few warthog every year as well as few geese. Sometimes we will have bass, but I have to admit that I'm not much of a fisherman.
    You can't post such things without pics or an invite...

The wife and I found out that it takes 2 people almost 4 years to eat 380 lbs of Bison, but I'm not shooting anymore turkeys though.
    The flavor was good, but they were like trying to chew an old tire.

Boolit Master
    ---I usually simmer my turkey in water lots of celery & onions unsalted seasoning my wife makes & black pepper until tender. Then low heat on the smoker til flavored. The broth off of the turkey is put into zip-lock bags & used in soup at a later date. Talking about this reminds me it's time for breakfast.

Banner Sponsor

Had deer steak last night and tonight also

Boolit Master
    Before I met my wife almost every other day I would eat wild game. After we got together I shortly discovered she was a chief not a cook. We eat game once a month now. Honestly it has nothing to do with her but with the fact that I have no one to help with the harvest of a deer so I do not take one. If you count the ranches home grown chickens then we do get out own and well I have not been fishing since I built this house and we used to eat fresh fish once a week. Hoping to change that back this year.

Short answer. Wild game once a month now.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I can still remember my mother baking everything us kids brought in from hunting until it was like a football.

Because, "You know them wild things got bugs in the meat."

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Ate alot of squirrel, rabbit, and fish we caught when I was a kid. I eat deer a couple of times a month. I also eat alot of produce from the garden, and wild berries when they are in season.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    ---Yesterday I smoked rabbit almost 2-hours @ 215-225 deg. Then placed in 2 large cast iron skillets, & smothered them in the basic Louisiana hot sauce & butter (Buffalo Wing style sauce) & straight from the smoker to a 300 deg. oven for 30 min. Rabbit can be mushy if I don't do the 300 deg. thing, It firms up the meat same as chicken. Ate it today for our Sunday lunch & it was great. Try It!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345