Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Much Game Is Eaten At Your House?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’m getting the shakes. I haven’t eaten venison for about two weeks. I broke out the fondu pot last ine around. Marinaded my meat in Coca-Cola and Worcestershire for about 3+days prior. Cut up some orange bell peppers to go with it. Forgot I had my spring turkey legs last week. They weren’t great. I lll use what’s left for raccoon bait. I had a back strap I marinated the same way as my fondue. Good stuff!

Boolit Master
    We eat at least 1-2 Michigan White tails per year. Mostly hot sausage and ground into hamburger. Neighbor hauls cattle for a living, so we get plenty beef hamburgers.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    My family won’t eat any food I produce. I noticed we were eating asparagus every other day, so I grew an asparagus garden… no one wants asparagus. We were eating lots of squash so I started a squash garden… no one wants squash anymore. We had chickens for awhile… only the dogs ate the eggs. I swear, my wife only wants things she has to pay for. I must say the peach harvest last year was quality time spent with the kids.
    I would like to hunt. When my boys are old enough I’ll make time for it. For now, I work a demanding job, I’m breeding dogs, and I’ve got lots of construction work on the property to tend to.
    I am sorry to hear that but your kids may wind up changing her mind as they grow up. My four sons are all in their 30’s but they used to get home from school and walk through the garden on their way to the house, eating tomatoes and peppers off the vines. I didn’t grow much last year because I knew it would be a drought year (and I was right) but I did grow a few things in 5 gallon buckets on the deck.

Boolit Mold
    Roughly 40% is Venison & fish. Store bought beef pork & chicken would be the majority of the other 60%

Wish I had the opportunity to hunt wild hog once in a while. Suppose bear could work also. Neither are native to our area of the country.

Boolit Master
    I thought people hunted hog just for sport. Is wild hog good eatin’?

Boolit Master
    If you get them in the wild & not near a dump. The ones I have killed & eaten have been excellent. & Have been quite lean.

Boolit Buddy
    The ones I had that we shot in TX were outstanding eating.

Cast Hunter

Most of the meat we consume is venison. Each of the last 2 years I put 6 deer in the freezer and we do our own processing. Almost never buy red meat. When we lived in Alaska, we always had moose and/or caribou or bison or blacktail or Mt goat. We do buy chicken and occasionally turkey or pork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    When I was a kid everything we had to eat came off the land, and fed the dogs also, if it swam, crawled, slithered, flew, raised or was gathered, it was on the menu. When you live off the land and you don't have a lot of money you make do. Now very little game now, if any, I am too old and broken to go out and chase critters for the freezer.

At deer camp last night, the venison backstrap and seared fresh duck dishes disappeared first. Before the ribeyes and chicken wings…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Couple times week, at least. Just made a killer lasagna from venison sausage. Even made a pan for a friend - his wife is having surgery Tuesday, so now he'll have some good food to get over those busy days following.

Boolit Master
    Pretty much all of the red meat and sausage we eat is wild game. This year there are two antelope, one elk, half a bear, and three deer in the freezer and canned in the pantry. Three meals a day seven days a week probably 15-18 have game meat.

I have a family of meat eaters at my house, plus my in-laws always take burger home with them when they come out to visit and our retired neighbors cover over a couple times a year for 10# burger restocks.

We have all but lost our taste for beef.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    Currently in the freezer: elk, blacktail, bear, and a little antelope. This year I took two blacktails and a cow elk. Also have a bit of local beef and lamb in the freezer, some steelhead, possibly a few ducks and geese.
    The majority of meat I eat is venison.

Boolit Man
    2 to 3 Deer a year is perfect
    Let the LORD be magnified who take’s pleasure in the prosperity of his servant!

Boolit Buddy
    You guys are killing me. Back a number of years it was usual to have yearly venison. Maybe a little bit of squirrel mixed in with the beef burgers.

Then more houses went up, so much for that.

Although... Just last month we had ground-hog (wood-chuck) thighs along with our chicken thighs. Surprised the missus', good stuff.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    We have a place in E TX and harvest a few deer a year from it. We also supplement those with a few feral hogs as we come across them. Combined in the grinder with some bacon ends makes awesome burgers or anything else that uses ground.

Added to that we hit a lake up close to our place pretty regularly and stock up on blue cat and channels along with a box of white and hybrid bass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20221122_175119.jpg  
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Buddy
    Has to be upwards of 98% of the meat we consume is game or fish that we catch. Deer, squirrel, ducks, sandhill crane, crappie, channel catfish and feral hogs.

Blue catfish are NASTY GREASY

Boolit Buddy
    Just did lasagna last night. Get your favorite marinara, some par cooked (bake in dish) lasagna noodles, a bell pepper, an onion, ricotta, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, eggs, and about a pound to a pound and a half of ground venison. Dice bell pepper and onion (I like a large rough chop cause I really like the larger pieces), sauté in a skillet till just starting to soften, add and brown off burger. Season with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder. Add 90% of your marinara and to the mixture and bring up to a simmer, season with your choice of herbs (Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, etc.). Mix parm, mozz, and ricotta in a bowl with some of your herbs and eggs till it's a fairly thick paste. Oil a 6x9 pan (or larger depending on family, adjust recipe to increase volume), put down the 10% of your marinara you set aside, layer of noodles, venison mixture, egg/cheese mixture, noodles, venison mixture, egg/cheese mixture, noodles, cover with remaining venison mixture and bake for 45 mins at 350F. Add a mixture of mozz and parm cheese as topping, place back in over and bake at 400 till golden brown (about 15 mins). Let rest for about 20 mins to set, cut and serve (usually with garlic bread).
    I will personally sometimes add other peppers with a touch more heat as well, poblanos or Anaheim but dealers choice.

Boolit Master
    Sounds Goooood!

Boolit Master
    how much? not nearly enough. today we ate ny strips, local store had sale on the whole 14lb slab, $4.98lb. its so bland we had to marinate the cut steaks in Italian dressing and uncle tony's for 2 days to get some flavor into them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast