MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
PBcastcoReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Much Game Is Eaten At Your House?

Boolit Master
    It’s just my wife and me now so 1-2 deer will hold us for a season. When our sons were young, I used to kill a lot of cottontails and we made a lot of rabbit stew. In fact, we ate so much that I got tired of it.

I would like to eat more fish but never seem to have time to go to any of the local lakes.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    As someone who is really into vegetables, I have found that the most concentrated source of vegetables is red meat. Venison is a good choice because of environmental considerations. Game deer are free range and not fed in feed lots and their growth is not stimulated by hormones. Strike a blow for mother earth and kill and eat lots of deer.

I used to trotline tons of catfish for the freezer, but most streams are so contaminated by toxic runoff, that I don't eat wild caught fish any longer. I sure wish I had an acre pond fed by springs to manage.
    That's one consideration I always think about. Cows are a lot better off now than they used to be, at least most are. I still sometimes come across the sad little fenced in mud pit with a bunch of stinking cows. For the most part cows now live free range outdoors and only come in on the really bad days for shelter.

It's really sad to see chicken and turkey farms. It is that way because people won't pay more for meat, even if they say they do care about animals. So they are crammed in so insanely tight no single bird can walk from one end of its prison to the other. Food is only what is needed to keep them alive and growing unnaturally large. If you look hard enough you can find free range chicken and turkey, but they are not often seen in a standard grocery store. I think whole foods is a stuck up hippie store, but thats the place to get chicken and turkey if your local butcher doesn't have it.

Boolit Master

I have located some Amish farmers who sell free range chickens, turkeys and guinea fowl. It is not cheap, but the taste reminds me of what we used to raise on the farm. Feral pigs under a hundred pounds are usually good to eat.

Boolit Mold
    I've told folks for years that if WV didn't have white tails my kids would have been half as big as they turned out to be. Been Eating Venison for over 50 years but have slowed that consumption some as we've gotten older. The killin' is still pretty easy but the processing not so much. Thank goodness our son is an avid hunter and lives close by.
    Firearm's resale value should be your children's problem.
    NRA Life, USPSA # CL 58, IDPA A00556

My freezer keeps:
    Deer
    Squirrel
    Trout
    A lot of Catfish
    Panfish
    in it pretty much year round...We eat game once a week anyway..Sometimes more

Boolit Master

I only hunt Deer for the meat. One or two per/season. Stay patient for the big boys. With the season here in Mississippi on my own property I can hunt for over 2 months every winter. I can afford to wait til the last day to pull a trigger. These days I have my favorite processor make it all into hamburger. I butcher them myself and see to it that all the prime cuts are equally divided among all the meat. It comes out great. I get between 70-90lbs annual. Winter time I make a lot of different Chili's with the deer meat, real meaty. Summertime, its all Taco's. What's my two fav foods, you can probably guess. Nothing like a hot fire, and a bowl of mild chili with a quesadilla on a cold winter evening.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    I have located some Amish farmers who sell free range chickens, turkeys and guinea fowl. It is not cheap, but the taste reminds me of what we used to raise on the farm. Feral pigs under a hundred pounds are usually good to eat.
    Guinea is fine eating!

Tonight I Cajun spiced some bullfrog legs, then dipped them in buttermilk, then in panko, and pan fried in oil. Baked potato and sliced Bosc pear on the side.
    "Man, this is livin'!"- as Uncle James used to say.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Saturday I smoked up a batch of deer ribs, 3 deer ham steaks, 4 hamburgers (beef), & 3 chicken qtrs. Turned out well & the wife was well pleased. I think she likes smoked meat as much as I do. Blessed to have her.

We kill a moose a year, a black bear, beaver and all types of fish. The meat side is easy, it is getting that moose back to town, and hanging it up in the shed. We make sausage with bear, moose, and even beaver. We corn moose, and make ham also. Large eggs cost $6.00 a dozen.

Boolit Master
    Keyman; Don't be telling everyone how good beaver meat is. The one we smoked 2-weeks ago for 6-hours my wife liked better than beef. If word gets around this new administration will have them outlawed. Anything good & works, has to go.

Boolit Buddy
    None, my wife will not eat it, so feeds my buddy whos property I hunt, he can no longer work. Let me just say, all these people who think these folks are getting rich on disability must not know one. I have no idea how he gets by on so little.

Boolit Master
    My son and I ground up 230 lb of venison at the end of last season. Not much left. Much of it was given away as I don't have any dependents living with me, as they are all grown and on their own, but my oldest and I enjoy hunting and butchering our take together still, and I hope we do for many more years to come. I have eaten quite a bit of the venison that we seasoned for meat sticks in the dehydrator. Plus the taco and spaghetti meals are a couple of my favorites. An occasional steak, but not as much as I used to make. One doe is already down by me for this season with a bow. Gun season starts Monday and I hope to fill the remaining two tags then. My son has only one tag left and is holding out for a nice antlered animal. We should have plenty of grinding to do before the season is over.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I normally can’t consume 2 deer a year. I gotta start putting my feedbag on! I normally give one or two away to neighbors and relatives every year.

My household does not eat a lot of store bought meat. Every now and then my wife buys some pork for a stew, or chickens from the Hudderites, but for the most part it is pheasant, ruffed grouse, Deer, moose, walleye and pike that we eat.
    David
    scopes and bags are cool, but palm rests 'n' irons RULE!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I eat river caught fish twice a week.

Boolit Master
    Now these last couple of posts have my lips smack'n.

1-2 meals per week include wild game in our house. Usually more during the fall and winter since I have a policy of not putting small game in the freezer (it never seems to come out.)

I try to shoot 2 deer a year, though I didn't get it done this year. Other than venison, we eat a fair amount of duck, goose, and occasionally squirrel and rabbit. We also buy our pork and beef locally whenever possible.

The last few years, the majority of our venison gets ground or canned. We only save the back straps and a couple choice roasts for other uses.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Depends how successful I was during deer season

Got two this year, so every meal has venison practically (except when I want something different, such as seafood)

Boolit Master
    My family won’t eat any food I produce. I noticed we were eating asparagus every other day, so I grew an asparagus garden… no one wants asparagus. We were eating lots of squash so I started a squash garden… no one wants squash anymore. We had chickens for awhile… only the dogs ate the eggs. I swear, my wife only wants things she has to pay for. I must say the peach harvest last year was quality time spent with the kids.
    I would like to hunt. When my boys are old enough I’ll make time for it. For now, I work a demanding job, I’m breeding dogs, and I’ve got lots of construction work on the property to tend to.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast