RepackboxLoad DataPBcastcoWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Much Game Is Eaten At Your House?

Boolit Bub
    4-5 deer a year, squirrel, fish

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I eat something made of wild hog, once or twice a week. I really enjoy it. Unfortunately, the deer here aren’t that interesting to eat, if you have eaten corn feed white tale from the East Coast.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I live in a Subsistence area in SE Alaska. We file for a special federal subsistence permit each year available through the forest service. for Each member of our house is allocated 5 deer (4 bucks and one doe), and 3 bears. Deer season for us runs from July 25th through December 31 most years, sometimes longer. Bear season runs from 1 September through June 30th, but I only hunt bear here in early spring. Those are the only red meat available to us here on the island. I rarely eat beef, but sometimes there is a reason for it. It’s a 100 mile trip to the store on the island, and last time I checked, 2 decent steaks cost $56 dollars plus and you need to factor in the price of fuel getting there.

There is also a subsistence permit that we get for fishing. Limits on salmon are 20 per day for silvers (coho) and reds (sockeye) and no limit for Pinks (humpy) and Dogs salmon. We can also get a permit from NOAA for halibut subsistence longline for 30 hooks. Salmon we can catch pretty much any way we want, rod and reel, rope and a hook, you name it.. we also take shrimp (10 pots) and crab (10 pots) and unlimited clams and mussels.

We also grow a garden, and fly in bulk veggies to cann and dry. Stores are a luxury and we go to Ketchikan (about 8 hour trip by boat and driving). Walmart is a feeding frenzy.

Fast food around here as we know it has 4 legs and a tail!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Well, when I was just out of the military, married & trying to make a go of life,, my wild game harvests, which included several deer a year, squirrels, fish, dove & whatever allowed me to eat good w/o much expense.
    I never stopped doing that.
    We do go out to dinner when necessary for whatever event we are working or attending. We also buy some occasional grocery store meats or fish,, but I'd say around here,, at home,, 95% is self harvested.
    (I'm going to be final butchering & processing (2) deer today.)

We average 2 deer a year plus I share some with church family as well . My oldest daughter has vowed to never eat wild game again , she saw the Maxi Ball buck hanging in the back yard and told me if I want to feed my family that I should shoot a chicken . We eat alot of trout also. We or should I say I eat a few squirrels a year too .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Buddy
    Not nearly enough...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Sadly, I only eat wild game if someone other than my wife prepares it. I don't hunt anymore other than opening day of dove season and missed it this year. Sucks that my body won't cooperate in the field anymore.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

As someone who is really into vegetables, I have found that the most concentrated source of vegetables is red meat. Venison is a good choice because of environmental considerations. Game deer are free range and not fed in feed lots and their growth is not stimulated by hormones. Strike a blow for mother earth and kill and eat lots of deer.

I used to trotline tons of catfish for the freezer, but most streams are so contaminated by toxic runoff, that I don't eat wild caught fish any longer. I sure wish I had an acre pond fed by springs to manage.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I used to live off of game meat. Still do, as much as possible, but too crippled up to really do it much nowadays. Too bad, as going and coming back home from our monthly shoot today, I saw around 60 turkeys, a couple pheasants, thousands of ducks, geese, swans, a couple hundred elk, and at least a hundred deer.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

If I get one deer is enough. I bass fish after growing up Great Lake salmon fishing. Wife doesn’t like fish or game. So bass are hardy enough to be released 95% of the time. Trolling for salmon or trout doesn’t lend its self to catch and release. That’s a meat game

Last deer I ate the loins and neck roast. The rest was turned into jerky and snack sticks in my smoker. Wife loves the jerky but, that’s about it. At least with jerky it’s nutritional and the entire deer gets eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Everything available except possum and armadillo

Boolit Master
    I hunt and butcher my own game. My chickens pig and beef come from local small family owned farms.
    Wild game
    Venison when butchered and prepared properly is better than beef. Venison heart is phenomenal but eaten with in days. The muscle meat on a deer needs to be aged properly. Cooking sear hot rare to medium rare no more.
    Grouse, pheasant, woodcock and duck all eaten within a day of harvest.
    I get rendered bear fat from a friend it’s incredible to cook with.
    Last edited by Ramjet-SS; 11-14-2022 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sloughfoot View Post
    Everything available except possum and armadillo
    Mmm, skunk.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

2-3 whitetail a year and it's been 4 years since the last elk. (also the last time I really hunted them). We eat 50 or so trout a year and some white meated fish if I take the time to travel. Generally buy a hog and a 1/2 beef every other year that is local farm raised.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

All I eat is wild game and some of what I trapped and the fish I catch . I do not buy any meat from the store. Oh by the way I live alone with my coydog. He gets his shear also of the wild game that I will not use. Also the bones.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I had backstrap and heart for dinner last night.
    We get 1 deer tag a year.
    I hunt grouse and quail.
    I have venison, pork, beef, salmon and bottom fish in the freezer now.
    I cook a lot of pork, beef and salmon on the pellet grill.
    Venison gets pan fried.
    Bottom fish gets deep fried.
    My diet is 50/50 wild and store-bought meat.

Boolit Bub

60-75% of our meals are caught,shot,trapped from our property we do buy 2 hogs and 1/2 beef every yr from neighborhood farmer,veggies mainly grown in our small garden and out at wifes uncles farm, wife did can up 3 bushels of apple sauce from road side trees for the family grand kids love it.

Boolit Master
    all of it...
    pork n venison are often on menu.Im only one who eats duck or goose but I work my way through them.
    hare n rabbit back strap sandwiches for lunch
    trout crumbed for dinner.

Moderator Emeritus

I have had good luck with shanks just cut off the bone. Either in a slow cooker, crock pot or pressure cooker. Just make sure it's fall apart soft. You can do a nice presentation with mashed potatoes and a sauce or serve it on tortillas. Either works for me.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Used to be a lot more than now. Now I get at least one deer a year, sometimes more and my wife and I eat a few panfish I get during the summer. I should spend some time hunting Turkey as there are a lot of them around but I seem to find other things to do instead ? I do prefer the fat store bought ones better I guess.
    I would still love to cook up some squirrels and rabbits again sometime but laziness keeps them from getting hunted. I have liked most all of the game I have taken except woodcock, I wouldn’t shoot them anymore.
    LIFE is GOOD !!

Jedman

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast