Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox PBcastco
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Much Game Is Eaten At Your House?

Boolit Master

Cool How Much Game Is Eaten At Your House?

I read a post from Markopolo stating, "All of our meat comes from hunting" How much game do you eat at your house & what game animals are consumed?

Boolit Man
    All of it.

Boolit Buddy
    All of our red meat intake is deer, a typical year would include at least 75 lbs of sausage, 4-50 pounds of burger, 40 pints of canned deer meat along with all the other steaks, roasts, etc. Luckily we live in an area that is over run with deer and have unlimited doe tags for archery along with extra tags for rifle season. This year between myself and my two daughters we have 6 rifle tags, doe and a buck apiece. In addition to the deer we eat a few rabbits and ducks but the deer is our staple.

Actually, most of my meat is hunted up on the meat isle at the grocery store.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    At our house we raise rabbits & chickens, my grandson raises a pig for us to butcher. But wild game consists of rabbit, skwirl, deer & recently introduced to beaver which I caught as a nuisance agent for a farmer. Smoked it for six hours & my wife likes it better than beef. Store bought is usually limited to cajun sausage, Hamburger meat & a turkey or two a year.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    I read a post from Markopolo stating, "All of our meat comes from hunting" How much game do you eat at your house & what game animals are consumed?
    When I was A kid, we lived of the land, all meat came from hunting or trapping, now very little. Getting too old, don't walk so good anymore.
    Cancer makes a mess of your body...

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Actually, most of my meat is hunted up on the meat isle at the grocery store.
    Us too since I quit hunting several years ago after I sold the land I inherited in the Hill Country.

But when asked why I don't hunt anymore, as any soft headed, mouth breathing liberal would say, I keep a straight face and reply,
    "I prefer the meat from the grocery store since no animals are harmed in the process to get it there".
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-11-2022 at 05:43 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

3-4 deer a year. A handful of squirrel, groundhogs, and rabbits. We bowfish a big pile of carp in the spring and eat them through the year. We also raise sheep (ave. 2-3 lambs a year) and a hog. We’ve got a beef that we plan on putting up in the next month or two, so we might cut back on the deer this year. Wish I could turkey hunt, but we're usually pretty busy that time of year. Teenage boys eat a lot! Hunted and homegrown meat probably account for 80% of our meat. More so lately as we are trying to clean the freezers out to make room for the beef.

Very little. My wife can’t get over it. Won’t eat it, and is reluctant to cook it. Same for meat we’ve raised.

At least one deer a year, sometimes two. Turkey, duck, squirrel,dove,pheasant, and bullfrog.
    Beef, chicken and pork come from the store.

Boolit Master
    BLAHUT ; Prayers already sent. May you be Blessed.

Boolit Grand Master

Not quite as much as when I was younger, but a few hogs, goats, feral sheep and deer a year.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

I couldn't even imagine eating one kind of meat for a year. I can't hardly eat the same thing for more than 3-4 days in a row without getting sick of it. Simply due to huge populations and tons of available tags, whitetail deer is what is mainly in the freezer. Smaller things like waterfowl and fish get eaten as I get them. I'm only allowed one bear a year, if I get one, and that is already mostly gone by the time deer hunting starts. I'd love to get an elk this year. I've got a cow tag that starts mid December.

So I eat a lot of red meat obviously, that's what's available. Whitetail, bear, elk, antelope, waterfowl, and more. Waterfowl is a nice change, but it is still red meat. I'm not that big a fan of pheasants, but they are great once in a while. Turkey is some of my favorite, and I would eat way more of it if I could. As it is I only ever get one or two turkeys a year. This year I got one in the spring, and have two fall tags. I'm actually a pretty big fish eater, and most of what we have are white flaky fish like walleye, pike, and panfish. I prefer pike the most myself. We have salmon in lake Oahe, but they are tough to get.

And when I don't get something, or just want a change I buy whatever I feel like. There isn't much better than a tuna steak. Not long back our store had Alaskan arctic char which was fantastic. Once in a while I go for sushi, which I'm terrible at rolling myself, that's mostly salmon and tuna. I hate imitation crab. And of course now and again I get some 70/30 beef hamburger which you can't get that kind of fat from any wild game. I love a good burger. I rarely buy chicken of any kind. I find fish is usually better than chicken breast in most recipes, and I'd rather have turkey legs than chicken drumsticks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Us too since I quit hunting several years ago after I sold the land I inherited in the Hill Country.

But when asked why I don't hunt anymore, as any soft headed, mouth breathing liberal would say, I keep a straight face and reply,
    "I prefer the meat from the grocery store since no animals are harmed in the process to get it there".
    OMG your killin me
    We eat deer and about every 10-11 years we eat black bear
    been a while since I got an elk but that has been on the menu as well in the past
    I have 8 deer tags to try and fill
    probably take 3 if I am lucky
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I have 8 deer tags to try and fill
    probably take 3 if I am lucky
    I wish you well.

Meat from the grocery store Is OK, and you can live on it.
    However; dinner does taste much better if you kill it yourself.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    We have chickens and that provides most of our eggs, We drop 4-5 deer a year on ave and get an antelope every couple years. I also hunt a lot of upland game birds, and rabbit so other than lamb and seafood, the vast majority of our meat is hunted. We do everything from sloppy joes, and spaghetti, and stuffed peppers with venison to steaks, stews, pot pies and kababs. My gf who's also an avid hunter eats and cooks wild game readily and enjoys trying new recipes. This year our new attempt is going to be braised venison shanks. We usually cut off the calf muscles for stew meat or burger, but this year we got a bone saw and are going to do the whole shank in an instapot with peppers, onions and some broth and serve it over mashed potatoes and see how it tastes after getting fall off the bone tender...I've heard good things.

May 25th 1996, I got married. I was a 44 yr old bachelor who was getting married to a woman who had basically been abandoned while pregnant, then divorced. My step daughter was 12.

I hung up ALL my toys, guns, rods, boats, camping, all of it. And for the first 12 years I just concentrated 100% on my marrage, work, and fixing up my old house. The fishing came back first, then about 10 years ago I got back into shooting. What I lost in that time was my desire to kill. I just do not care for killing any more. It is a rare fish that gets cleaned at my house.

Now I am 70 and really in no condition to hunt. Plus I have moved some 40 miles and crossed a state line, so my old hunting grounds are pretty much lost to me.

Back before I was married I could walk up to almost any farmer, explain to him who I was, who's son I was, and that I was really only interested in squirrels, rabbits and the like. Ohh and mention that I had been teaching firearm safety for over a decade. And I would get free access to their woods.

Now those farmers are all pretty much gone. Their sons and grandson's don't know me or who my dad was.

So I no longer hunt.

Back when I could, 75% of what I ate was wild.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

Only meat we buy is really chicken. We have eight of them for eggs and don't think my gf (or maybe even me as they grow on ya) could eat them. We got a half steer the last two years and have about 400 lbs of beef and 100 lbs of venison in the freezer. Only my gf and I so it lasts awhile. We don’t eat much fish, maybe cod from store once in awhile.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    ….How much game do you eat at your house & what game animals are consumed?
    If you consider fish to be animals, that would be where 80% of our animal protein comes from.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm going to try and get a deer in about a week.
    Getting older makes that more difficult but I'm going to try. I do it all myself.

We have cut way back on our meat consumption. Meat has become a condiment for me and my wife.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast