Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Scope to fit 1903 Springfield with Unertl blocks

Boolit Buddy

Scope to fit 1903 Springfield with Unertl blocks

Hello all! I am contemplating purchase of a 1903 Springfield sporter which has Unertl blocks installed - one on the front receiver ring, the other 7.2" down the barrel. It's getting hard to find any information on the vintage scopes that were intended for this setup. Apparently, the classic option is the Unertl 1 1/2" target, with its long tube. I don't plan to shoot prone - will be shooting from a bench - and am concerned that shorter Unertl scopes such as the 1 1/4" varmint might not be able to be set far enough back for proper eye relief. Ditto for the Redfield 3200.

I would value comments from anyone with experience fitting scopes to these old workhorses that have "target" blocks. Regards, Bill.

Boolit Bub
    There is plenty of adjustment with either the unertl or lyman targetspot scopes. I have an 8x unertl reproduction scope on my CMP vintage sniper and a 14x unertl on a 1903 converted to 22rf. Both work just fine.

There was a repro scope marketed by Hi-lux Optics a few years ago that was 8X. I have one to mount on a hiwall.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/13...f?v=1622587548

Last edited by Bad Ass Wallace; 11-12-2022 at 09:19 AM.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

MVA has a line of repro scopes that use the posa blocks Another to look at is the DZ scopes. Redfield and tasco also made some external adjust target scopes but they are getting harder to find

Boolit Master

I have a 20x Unertl on an '03 built up match rifle. No issues at all. Spring adjusts to avoid "scope nose". You may have a limit as to range zero. I mean that you may not be able to get on target with the front block ( or rear) that you currently have. I mean zero at 600 or 1,000 yds. Maybe ? In 30-06 you not likely to have any trouble. I use the same scope on my Sharps 38-55 and I run out of elevation long before 600 yds.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks, all. I appreciate you taking time to advise and comment. Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    Fecker also made scopes that I think will fit your blocks. The trick may be finding the right mounts.

From what I have read, the 7.2" base spacing is meant to give ¼ minute adjustments.

I am not 100% sure, the closest I have came to using a scope of this type was getting outbid on a J.W. Fecker at an auction one time.

Robert

Boolit Master

WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Speaking as someone who's been down this road with a couple '03's, a couple observations:

The Unertl/Targetspot/Fecker scopes will all work. The limiting factor is scope length, as mentioned above. Any of the long scopes will deliver correct eye relief.

Don't use the recoil spring. The old timers invariably removed them on heavy kickers like the .30-06. Reason is the slam-bam action of the spring returning the scope to battery can dislodge the fine crosshairs, worst case, or at minimum cause the crosshair collar to rotate inside the scope tube. I've heard of lenses being compromised by the effect also. Simply pull the scope back into battery after each shot. No big deal, you'll get used to doing it.

Scope height can be an issue. With standard height blocks an average scope up to 1 1/2" objective lens the scope should clear the bolt handle. Not a guarantee though, especially with wartime bolts. If the bolt handle hits the scope, the old time drill was to nudge it aside with the thumb as the bolt was retracted. Again, not a big deal- you'll get used to it. The alternative is to call Steve Earle (google him) and get a set of 1/10" higher scope blocks for the Springfield. The only thing wrong with that is the scope is then that much higher further reducing cheek weld on the stock, but they work. (I had that issue with a build that employed a wartime Remington bolt. Switching out to a pre-war nickel steel bolt gave clearance to clear the scope.)

I'm currently running a Unertl 8x on my faux USMC Sniper. Works a treat. I'm running a Lyman 5A on my original 1929-vintage NRA Sporter for hunting, and swap out a Targetspot for bench work.

Boolit Buddy

That's a beautiful rifle. And - an NRA Sporter too? - wow - some guys get all the girls!

The question of length, yes. Look at how far back that long 1 1/4" target scope in the picture sits. Contact of the objective bulge with the fixed front mount position limits how far to the rear the ocular can go - hence my worry that shorter scopes like the 20" long 1 1/4" Unertl varmint or even the 23" Redfield 3200 may sit too far forward for a comfortable eye position.

It looks like the longer Unertl target scopes or clones in the 25" long range may be necessary, unless a straight tube like the DZ is employed.

Again, my gratitude to all who have chimed in to help and educate me. Regards, Bill
    Last edited by Bill*B; 11-13-2022 at 05:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    First, I noted mention of "Posa' mounts/bases. They are different from the standard "Unertl/Lyman" external adjust mounts.
    The Sprinfield M1903A1 Marine Corps M1941 Sniper Rifle had the standard bases specified height on front receiver ring and barrel and
    utilized a 1 1/4" Unertl 8X scope without the spring. that will clear the handguard enough so that a person can adjust the scope back
    plenty far enough. The bolt handle on my Original M1941 clears the scope
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Buddy

Agreed, a setup that works. I was wondering about alternatives, but "tried and true" may be the way to go.