Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resizing 0.430" down to .424"

Boolit Buddy

Resizing 0.430" down to .424"

Hi folks,

Am looking to size a .430" bullet down to .424" Is that too much of a step? For example, should I do an intermediate step of 0.427"?

(Reason I ask is I can get .430 bullets easily but I don't have an area in the appartment block and communal garage where I live where I can cast lead boolits)

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Boolit Master
    I've never sized that much so don't know how well it would work, but an intermediate step would be a must to prevent excessively deforming the bullet.

Never tried it, I've read of it being done by lubing on the first sizing to normal diameter for the bullet to fill the grooves. I believe the theory is the lube supports the lube grooves so they don't collapse. Then go down in size.

If you've got the correct sized dies, give it a try and see if it works. You'll only be out a handful of boolits if it doesn't work.

Then keep the rest of us informed on the progress. Enquiring minds want to know!!!*

*Tag line from a bad American tabloid advertisement. You know the kind of tabloid---SEE THE THREE LEGGED FISH THE GOVERNOR OF CALIFORNIA MARRIED!!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    This would be a pre bought and pre-lubed bullet. If I lose too much lube from the lube grove I shall Alox the bullet.

I've ordered the .424 and a .427 sizer so hopefully that will work without too much deformation if done in 2 stages.

Now I need to see what shape the bullets will be in post the sizing steps to check out options for gas checking...

Scrummy

Scrummy

Personally, I think sizing down that much may completely wipe out your lube groves unless they are very deep. Even if already lubed. You may want to see if you can get dry bullets and powder coat when done sizing. I don't think you would have a big problem PC'ing in an apartment with a dedicated toaster oven. I do it in my basement. There are no unpleasant odors involved.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Personally, I think sizing down that much may completely wipe out your lube groves unless they are very deep. Even if already lubed. You may want to see if you can get dry bullets and powder coat when done sizing. I don't think you would have a big problem PC'ing in an apartment with a dedicated toaster oven. I do it in my basement. There are no unpleasant odors involved.
    You might well be right. This will decidedly be an incremental improvement process. I'm thinking PC might be the way to go especially as I'll have the sizing die to "die lump" what I'm sure will be my amateurish sizing efforts.

Still, sizers and 300gr .430" bullets have been ordered let's see where we get to. I am also wondering what shape the base is and whether we could get a gas check on there of some sort. Or maybe if powder coating could get away with out the gas check.

Banned

Are you loading for a 43 Spanish?

Boolit Buddy
    No, plinking load for the .404 Jeffery

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scrumbag View Post
    No, plinking load for the .404 Jeffery
    Would it be better to start with a .41 mag bullet?

Boolit Master

I've sized 8mm .325 down to .315 by lubing and gas checking in a .325 first then size to .315, boolit grew in length a little but other than that
    no distortion
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

In one if the old Handloader annuals they sized boolits from .375 to .357. Not pretty but shot surprisingly well. Lube them first.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You should be able to do it and best if you use an intermediate die. Are you planning to lube the boolits or PC them? You should expect to have the lube grooves greatly reduced in depth.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Would it be better to start with a .41 mag bullet?
    Looks like .404 Jeffery takes a 0.422" inch jacketed bullet. 0.410 or 0.412 would be way too small to start with.

I've sized .338 down to .330 and .358 to .350 successfully. As mentioned, lube them first (with a thick wax lube to pack the grease grooves). This will assist in maintaining the grease grooves. Your idea for intermediate sizing will make things easier. You also may want to finger lube them with something viscous and slick like Imperial Sizing Lube at each stage before running them into the sizing dies. Take it slow and easy and everything will turn out OK.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks folks. I have the kit coming so will see what happens.

Scrummy

Hello Scrumbag,

I have sized .458 down to .452, the lube grooves became almost non existent.
    I was using them in a sabot for a muzzle loader so I didn't really care.
    I would suggest lubricating before attempting and maybe two steps.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks AntiqueSledMan. I think a powder coat might be the way forward.

Scrummy

I’m routinely sizing down .430 to .415 in order to get bullets for my single loader K31 chambered in 10.3x60R. For me this is working with bullets ranging in hardness from 8 to 19 HB using the following molds: Lee C430-310-RF, Lee C429-240-SWC, NOE 432-265-RF, NOE C432-265-RF, MP C434-215-SWC and MP C429-244-SWC. I’m starting with sizing all of these to .429 and placing a gas check where required using a Lee push through sizer. Then final sizing is done with a Lee .414 sizer opened up to .415. Using a good lube – lanolin (woolwax) in my case – is helping. Bullets w/o gas check go in base first, bullet with gas check tip first. Afterwards bullets are degreased and powder coated using the shake and bake method.
    Casting and loading for .22 TCM, .25 ACP, .30 Carbine, .30 Luger, .32 ACP, 7.5mm Swiss, 7.5x55 Swiss, .308 Win, 30-30 WCF, 7.62x39, 30-06, .380 ACP, .38 Spec., .357 Mag, 9mm Browning, 9mm Luger, 10.3x60R, .44 Spec., .44 Mag., .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 AR, .458 Win Mag, .50 AE and 12 Ga

Boolit Grand Master

No, sizing those commercial bullets down .006" is not too much at all. The lube grooves will not be wiped away, especially if they already have lube in them. Sizing down to .427 then to .424 will be easy enough with push through sizers.

Here's a couple 8mm bullets sized down from .325" [what they were initially sized, lubed and GC'd to] to .314". That is sizing them down almost twice as much as you intend to do. I used to size them down to .314" and .316" for use in .31 cal cartridges before I got the size .31 cal moulds. They worked fine in long throated milsurp rifles.

You should have no problems at all sizing your bullets down for use in your .404 Jeffrey. A friend of mine sizes his cast 310 gr G'd 44 Magnum bullets initially sized, lubed and GC'd at .430" down to .424 for use in his .404 Jeffrey. They shoot great from 1100 fps up to 2300 fps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8mm to .314.JPE 
Views:	21 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	306769
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Looks like .404 Jeffery takes a 0.422" inch jacketed bullet. 0.410 or 0.412 would be way too small to start with.
    HA! For some odd reason I was thinking the bullet diameter was around 0.404 inches!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast