Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New world rifle record

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

New world rifle record

I just saw this video about the furthest shot made by a rifle. Does anyone have more information on the rifle and cartridge ?
    https://youtube.com/shorts/nD53r3uLE5U?feature=share

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

IDK, 69 attempts to hit the target over several hours which is a less than 1.5% success ratio doesn't impress me much. That sounds more like luck than anything.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    IDK, 69 attempts to hit the target over several hours which is a less than 1.5% success ratio doesn't impress me much. That sounds more like luck than anything.
    Agree, just dumb luck.

I have read the story about this shot sometime back. Said and done, I wasn't that impressed when I got to the part about it taking 69 shot's to accomplish it.

Now, making a shot like that on demand would be a whole different story. I have to agree with jonp and recumbent. The guy finally lucked out and connected.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Ive been in the 1000yd shoot off to win the third sat of the month competition at the Manatee range in Bradenton FL. Ive hit the 8 inch disc 18 out of 21 shots. Ive been to mantee on an nonmatch day and had the wind and mirage so bad I never hit the target at all that whole afternoon. I think tah 69 shots to make a hit is not as good as i would like it to be. But i also know how many conditions there are between the line and the target. Do any of you know how much can happen to the bullet in the amount of time it takes to get to 4.4 miles? i once knew the time of flight when i first read this story. i will look it up on my other forum, it was a long time.

Boolit Master
    I read the linked article - 24.6 seconds time of flight out of a 40" barrel! What I'd like to know is once they walked the bullet in for a hit, how many hits did they get out of the next 5 or 10 shots? Surely they didn't stop with the single hit?

"The target’s dimensions (120 inches by 92 inches) made it 1.54 MOA wide and 1.18 MOA tall at 4.4 miles."

Boolit Grand Master

Apparently, they quit shooting after one hit out of 69 shots. Or perhaps they couldn't hit it again. Either way, based on that, i was also not impressed as it would have been "luck", especially since any corrections made between shots were based on "sound shots" not actual impacts.

However, had it taken 68 shots to get on target [basically zeroed at that range] and then they hit the metal, say, 3 out of 4 or 5 consecutive shots then I would say well done and be impressed. Or, have the zero for that range, they could make several hits "on call" I would certainly be impressed. As of now I'm not as it appears they threw enough shots out until they eventual got a hit.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

The more you appreciate this guy...unmodified Swiss K31 open sights 2240yds. Luck or otherwise, pretty impressive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqwG2caxNo8
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    I read the linked article - 24.6 seconds time of flight out of a 40" barrel! What I'd like to know is once they walked the bullet in for a hit, how many hits did they get out of the next 5 or 10 shots? Surely they didn't stop with the single hit?

"The target’s dimensions (120 inches by 92 inches) made it 1.54 MOA wide and 1.18 MOA tall at 4.4 miles."
    I wouldn’t be surprised if he stopped after that hit. The only place he could go from there is down.

Boolit Master

So I guess if you do it in 68 shots you set a new record. Never heard of that ammo company…

Boolit Master
    If I remember right the Trapdoor was shot at 5 mile, by the Army, on one of the beaches and shot at one minute of angle around 1860's-70's with black powder

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Completely agree. Lob enough rounds and you'll get a hit eventually.

I bet we could beat that "record" using an M2 and just walking the shots onto the target...Now we just need an M2.

Boolit Master

If the lead ain't flyin, the meat ain't dyin

But 69 shots is a bit much
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Apparently, they quit shooting after one hit out of 69 shots. Or perhaps they couldn't hit it again. Either way, based on that, i was also not impressed as it would have been "luck", especially since any corrections made between shots were based on "sound shots" not actual impacts.

However, had it taken 68 shots to get on target [basically zeroed at that range] and then they hit the metal, say, 3 out of 4 or 5 consecutive shots then I would say well done and be impressed. Or, have the zero for that range, they could make several hits "on call" I would certainly be impressed. As of now I'm not as it appears they threw enough shots out until they eventual got a hit.
    I agree with this. If its walked out then hit a few times ill give the 25-30 to get it there but then i'd like to see something sorta consistent. 25% hits maybe considering the range. Maybe even 10%. With a nearly 99% miss id stand there for a bet if the price was right
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    If I remember right the Trapdoor was shot at 5 mile, by the Army, on one of the beaches and shot at one minute of angle around 1860's-70's with black powder
    http://researchpress.co.uk/index.php...andy-hook-1879
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    You could do that with an AK given enough ammo and luck
    The guys that impress me are the ones that look at the conditions and shoot a clean with high x count every weekend at whatever range they shoot. The ones that can look at the light direction, mirage, and wind, make a few adjustments , and put it in the x ring the first shot.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    You could do that with an AK given enough ammo and luck
    The guys that impress me are the ones that look at the conditions and shoot a clean with high x count every weekend at whatever range they shoot. The ones that can look at the light direction, mirage, and wind, make a few adjustments , and put it in the x ring the first shot.
    Yes I admire that skill, would love to have that ability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast