RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want a new rifle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    I’ve been looking at the Henry single shots. Hard to find but, they are out there. I’ve got a Henry .22 wmr.

Off gun broker i figure it’s going to be about $550 after shipping and fees.

I bought my RAR .450 6 months before Henry announced the single shot .450. I would have waited for the Henry if I had known about the release in 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So if you want to find a Henry single shot send Henry and email. If they have a distributor that has one they will get it allocated for you. They are as responsive as inventory allows them. They really helped me out with a Long Ranger .223.
    But folks talking about the 357 Mag are not that far off 38 specials for practice and XTP or A varsity if others like the 140 grain Barnes or well loaded WFN Cast boolit will do the trick. It won’t kick anymore than a .243.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    A .243 with the correct bullet for standard twist. Some will shoot the 90 gr+ with no trouble, some need to drop down to the 8-0 gr or lower ? I wish they came with a tad faster twist from the factory??
    I would never give a young shooter or new shooter a lever gun !
    With a lever gun you have to put your wet cold hand on the hammer and pull the trigger. IMO very un-safe for young or newbees ?
    A Savage Youth model, in .243, bolt is perfect for small or young shooter's, can also use as a smaller adult.
    Correct size for most to handle. Recoil is light and straight back. Bullets and brass are usually not hard to come by? Depending how you want to load ?
    Great deer gun, varmint or can be loaded for competition ? Very accurate...... Son set 4 National Reckord's with a 6MM at 500 or 600 yds.
    I complete disagree with your analogy about cocking the hammer on a lever gun. Or even a single shot it’s all we did and even today the ONLY reason lever guns have safeties is LAWYERS. Spend time with the youth teach them how to safely handle and OWN the firearm. You cannot bubble wrap everything and protect everyone. Time and teaching is the key.

Single shots and lever guns both can fill this requirement for example how about the Henry Long Ranger or Browning BLR single-shots are economical and well built today.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    A .243 with the correct bullet for standard twist. Some will shoot the 90 gr+ with no trouble, some need to drop down to the 8-0 gr or lower ? I wish they came with a tad faster twist from the factory??
    I would never give a young shooter or new shooter a lever gun !
    With a lever gun you have to put your wet cold hand on the hammer and pull the trigger. IMO very un-safe for young or newbees ?
    A Savage Youth model, in .243, bolt is perfect for small or young shooter's, can also use as a smaller adult.
    Correct size for most to handle. Recoil is light and straight back. Bullets and brass are usually not hard to come by? Depending how you want to load ?
    Great deer gun, varmint or can be loaded for competition ? Very accurate...... Son set 4 National Reckord's with a 6MM at 500 or 600 yds.
    well I started out 52 years ago with a lever action no safety
    never any trouble with it , you just need to learn the how of gun safety
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I live in MI also and it sounds like your very close to the upper zone in MI where you CAN use a 22 centerfire. I would also recommend getting a 223 Rem. rifle that you like.
    If your daughter does decide she would like to try deer hunting the 223 would be a good rifle to start with. For you, it’s great for target shooting and the ammo should always be available.

Jedman

Boolit Master

I say a basic 30-30
    you can load it down and there also a good light loads using 125 or 130 gr bullets.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

Don’t write off the 7.62x39. Not as cheap as it was, but reasonably priced factory plinking ammo is still available at the moment, and it is more cast friendly than 223.

350 Legend might also be a good choice if you ever choose to hunt the other side of the border. No cheap ammo though, unless you cast and handload.

Boolit Master
    The .350 Legend seems to be designed to fit those MI hunting regs and fit into an AR-15 platform.
    Would a Marlin .357 Magnum carbine do, without the hassle of component scarcity?
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master

A .243 especially if you can find a 7 1/2 or 8 twist will cover a lot of bases.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    You have a lot of teaching ahead of you partly because once little girls grow up into ladies they generally would rather have another pair of new shoes than another rifle . Not always ..... but a lot of times . I think the 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8Remington SPC would work well . Or perhaps the .350 Legend , after all it will kill deer on both sides of the "rifle" line . All of them can be loaded to suit her abilities .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

For Mi. below the line, (restricted rifle zone) I would go 350 Legend. Ballistic equal to the 35 Remington. If only hunting up state, for the ladies, I would recommend 30-30.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    I really like the 300 Blackout with 110 gr Barnes in a Contender or AR or bolt gun.

I’m caught between a .223 and the .243. At this moment I’m leaning .243 but, that could change

With the .243, you can find a bunch of H-4895 loads that lets you use Hodgdon's 60% rule for reduced recoil loads. Hodgdon has a formula, I believe it is 60% of the heaviest H-4895 load for a given bullet weight will give you a nice reduced recoil load. Verify with Hodgdon. I used their formula to down load a buddy's son's rifle. He bought the 338 Win Mag when he drew an elk tag. Got his elk with full house loads then decided full house loads weren't fun to shoot and were probably over kill for run of the mill Michigan whitetails.

Drop down to 60ish grain bullets(or boolits!) and 60% loads and I think you'll have a rifle that is more than serviceable as a youth rifle. And the Savage rifles are for the money, pretty respectable.

And you may even be able to find some Red Dot loads for cast boolits

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Looking at the above posted Michigan FAQ, it looks like bottle-neck cartridges are not allowed - Sooo, a .357 rifle should meet the law, give less recoil, and drop a deer (which i've done with a .357 Rossi M-92)

Here's the entire 2022 Michigan hunting regulation publication:

https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Pro...s%20are%20sold.
    Michigan has two zones, down south, which used to be shotgun/straight walled pistol only. Now 450 Bushmaster/350 Legend type cartridges are allowed. North of a line that kinda, sorta bisects the lower peninsula, pretty much anything above 22 LR are allowed.

Probably even the 900 Loudnboomer.

Boolit Master
    Wife and I use .243 on antelope and deer, it is a proven cartridge and one of those easily found in the small towns. Most of the modern 90-100 grain bullets work very well. We have used the 95 gr Partition for 20-30 years, nothing has been lost to the rifle. Ours is a Savage 99 with 1-10 twist, under MOA with most 90 to 100 grain bullets, load with 55-70 grain bullets for fun/practice. Have not found a need for faster twist with most 100 grain bullets - Sierra, Hornady, Speer 105's, all work well, at least to 300 yards or so. Not TOO hard to work up decent cast boolit loads with 85- 100 grain Gas Check boolits. I do know a couple of packers that carry .243's, take their meat cows every year with them. Easy to find and easy to shoot. I do not consider the .223 a good cartridge for large deer or even antelope at over 80-100 yards. It was made legal in WY a couple years ago, I've seem more 'SICK' antelope since then. Small deer, close range MAYBE?

Boolit Grand Master

I still think most of the answers are not addressing the two most important issues. First is what going to serve the OP best as a cheap accurate paper puncher? Second is what is going to be the most fun for his five year old daughter to learn on and grow into? One of the more cost-effective bolt guns or AR's that uses an AR carbine style stock is about ideal for adjustability as she grows. It's going to be 5 to 9 years before she will be hunting IF she has an interest in deer hunting. Getting her to love shooting is the first step. Hunting may or may not come later.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I still think most of the answers are not addressing the two most important issues. First is what going to serve the OP best as a cheap accurate paper puncher? Second is what is going to be the most fun for his five year old daughter to learn on and grow into? One of the more cost-effective bolt guns or AR's that uses an AR carbine style stock is about ideal for adjustability as she grows. It's going to be 5 to 9 years before she will be hunting IF she has an interest in deer hunting. Getting her to love shooting is the first step. Hunting may or may not come later.
    Actually I do have 2 AR receivers that I can build a AR out of. Even if she doesn’t hunt I’d imagine she would like to shoot occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    We have used the 95 gr Partition for 20-30 years, nothing has been lost to the rifle.
    A old friend bought his first rifle at Sears when they carried mostly Winchester under their brand name
    right about when the pre-64s dried up.
    It was in .243, and all he'd deer hunt with was partitions. He only shot at 90-150 yards and never lost one either.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

So I am currently in the market for a new rifle . I am looking for something to basically bunch paper with at the range and not tear my shoulder up. Aka my .450 At first I was thinking cheap plentiful ammo like a .223.
    I'm going to stop you right there. You want a new rifle to punch paper with. Your daughter is 5 years old, and you are using her as some kind of excuse to buy this rifle from what I can see. Buy what you want and shoot it, when she gets old enough get her to enjoy shooting paper with it too and then go from there. Just my 2 cents and I can't see myself buying and trying to enjoy something I didn't really want because I really got it for someone else. Sort of buying a minivan so your daughter can drive it 10 years from now while the whole time you want a corvette...

I want a new rifle

Quote Originally Posted by lancem View Post
    I'm going to stop you right there. You want a new rifle to punch paper with. Your daughter is 5 years old, and you are using her as some kind of excuse to buy this rifle from what I can see. Buy what you want and shoot it, when she gets old enough get her to enjoy shooting paper with it too and then go from there. Just my 2 cents and I can't see myself buying and trying to enjoy something I didn't really want because I really got it for someone else. Sort of buying a minivan so your daughter can drive it 10 years from now while the whole time you want a corvette...
    The reason I say that. Financially wise everything is good to buy a rifle. Who knows what happens in 5-10 years and maybe buying a new rifle dosent make financial sense. Even with proper planning somthing happens and I have to sell everything off except her rifle and my .450 for deer hunting. At least at that point we can still hunt together. Things happen and they can happen fast even to people who are prepared.

Last edited by michael.birdsley; 11-12-2022 at 12:04 AM.

Boolit Master
    Actually I do have 2 AR receivers that I can build a AR out of. Even if she doesn’t hunt I’d imagine she would like to shoot occasionally.

Teach her to shoot with a BB gun,5 yds, a pellet rifle, 10meters, a .22, it is easy to make it fun and spend time with her. Can do that in the basement or garage? Well not the .22, but at the range with charcoal bruckets, they explode in a puff of black smoke. Then see where her interest lie ? I have taught many girls to shoot, a number of them have gone on to college on shooting scholarships. I taught 4 sons to shoot, one loved competition, set many records, two love to hunt, one is still in the army, last is into computers. I got to spend time with all of them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast