Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want a new rifle

I want a new rifle

So I am currently in the market for a new rifle . I am looking for something to basically bunch paper with at the range and not tear my shoulder up. Aka my .450 At first I was thinking cheap plentiful ammo like a .223.

However, I would also like this rifle to double as deer rifle for my 5 year old daughter when she is ready down the road. She is small and petite 5 year. so I am assuming that she is going to be a smaller statue women in the future. So I’m worried about recoil. I’m not sure if we can use .223 in Michigan for deer. So far I’ve been thinking .243 , 6.5 creed more, what about the 7mm’s ?any other caliber I’m forgetting . We would probably be in the $700 and under category for rifles. Most hunting would be either in big woods or swamps. Obviously I can reload so finding ammo wouldn’t be a deal breaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with 7mm-08 for my son....Savage Axis and it has served him well. I downloaded it when he was younger/smaller....and he still shoots it today at 21yo. MOA pretty much out of the box, and I think we were in it for under $300. I did do some trigger work on it....but that was a MCarbo kit that was really cheap.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    I’m not sure if we can use .223 in Michigan for deer.
    I would go with the .223. With the proper bullets it gets the job done. She will enjoy shooting it more than the bigger calibers. Getting and keeping her interest is the most important part. When she is older and truly wants to deer hunt you can upgrade if you think it's needed.

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/-/media...9874d5ee0a04f5

I am hunting during a firearm deer season in the limited firearm deer zone,
    which equipment can I use?
    In the limited firearm deer zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30 and all deer
    hunters in this zone during other deer seasons must abide by the following firearm
    restrictions or use a crossbow or a bow and arrow. Legal firearms are as follows:
    • A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
    • A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black
    powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
    • A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35-caliber or larger and
    loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but
    cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine
    combined. Continued on page 50 
    WHITE-TAILED DEER HUNTING
    50 2022 Michigan Hunting Digest
    • A firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow, crossbow and firearm.
    Exception: See “Which equipment can I use during the muzzleloading deer
    season?” below.
    A .35-caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a
    minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80
    inches.

• A .35-caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external, highcompression power source.
    I am hunting north of the limited firearm deer zone. Which equipment can I
    use during firearm season?
    Deer may be taken with handguns, rifles, crossbows, bows and arrows, shotguns,
    and muzzleloading firearms, including black powder handguns. It is legal to hunt
    deer north of the limited firearm deer zone with any caliber of firearm except a
    .22-caliber or smaller rimfire (rifle or handgun)
    . During the firearm deer seasons,
    a firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow, crossbow and firearm.
    Exception: See “Which equipment can I use during the muzzleloading deer
    season?” below.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-11-2022 at 03:13 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Tough choice.

You don't hear very much buyer's remorse about Rem. 700 ADLs or BDLs.
    It'd be hard to go wrong with one in .243.
    For your situation, it'll do everything you'd want it to do.

It goes against the trend of 'needing' the latest and greatest--
    but a Marlin .30-30 lever action would do you well too if you 'have' to put a scope on your rifle.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

A 44 Magnum rifle and she can shoot 44 specials out of it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Tough choice.

You don't hear very much buyer's remorse about Rem. 700 ADLs or BDLs.
    It'd be hard to go wrong with one in .243.
    For your situation, it'll do everything you'd want it to do.

It goes against the trend of 'needing' the latest and greatest--
    but a Marlin .30-30 lever action would do you well too if you 'have' to put a scope on your rifle.
    I’m caught between a .223 and the .243. At this moment I’m leaning .243 but, that could change

Boolit Grand Master
    I would go with a .260 Rem or 7mm/08. Plenty of cheap brass from can be made from plentiful 7.62. You can load it down for now and increase power as she matures. Even in .308, it can be loaded down to work.

With a .223 you will be marginal for deer IMO.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I would not get her a 223 for anything other than learning how to shoot. A 6.5 Swede would do the job, 257 Roberts or as dverna suggested either a 260 or 7-08. I would lean towards the 7-08 if only because the brass can be made cheaply. You could reload the 308 down to where she can handle it but still take deer with it and then increase the loadings as she gets older and more experience again, as dverna suggested
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

At the risk of being pigeon holed as a man bun wearing sissy, I would suggest the 6.5 creedmoor.

Lower recoil, plentiful brass and bullets, great caliber, proven deer slayer.

My Bergara Ridge is a shooter.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

.357 mag, .44mag, 45 colt all would work if loaded correctly and used with caution at range.

I used to be a member of the small and fast club but apparently I have out grown it.

I would rather go big, slow and 3-6 grains of Red Dot that would go the long way through a Moose or buffalo.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I have taken many deer with a 223.
    Get a faster twist to stabilize the Nosler Defense 70 grain bonded. Barnes ammo is also effective. Lehigh Defense controlled chaos is also good.
    A great choice is the Henry Single Shot
    Practice practice practice you will do this with less expense with a 223 (If your state law allows)
    The Henry is fine rifle very accurate and the single shot teaches patients and getting the right shot. It’s hefty enough that recoil of the 223 is like 22 Mag. But behind the shoulder shots with the bullets mentioned above anchor deer well. Not good for frontal shots but fine for quartering away into the vitals. Shot placement is first with all calibers and my kids all learned on .223 , 220 swift and 6.8 SPC

Looking at the above posted Michigan FAQ, it looks like bottle-neck cartridges are not allowed - Sooo, a .357 rifle should meet the law, give less recoil, and drop a deer (which i've done with a .357 Rossi M-92)

Here's the entire 2022 Michigan hunting regulation publication:

https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Pro...s%20are%20sold.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    30-30 would be a good choice
    don't know how you are in handloading but a 22 Creedmoor is quite capable and soft on the shoulder
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    I’m caught between a .223 and the .243. At this moment I’m leaning .243 but, that could change
    Both are good.
    For hunting, I'd figure whatever a .223 can do- a .243 can do better.
    Over time, if you're going after larger game, you have less chance of 'out growing' the .243.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

If I get a .223 it will just be a range gun and than get her something different later. .243 is the smallest I’d want to go for deer.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Looking at the above posted Michigan FAQ, it looks like bottle-neck cartridges are not allowed - Sooo, a .357 rifle should meet the law, give less recoil, and drop a deer (which i've done with a .357 Rossi M-92)

Here's the entire 2022 Michigan hunting regulation publication:

https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Pro...s%20are%20sold.
    We can use bottle neck cartages in 2/3’s of the state. We can used certain straight walled cartages IE 357, .350, 41,44, .45, .450 and I believe the 500 S&w ( couples others I forgot) in the limited rifle zone ( what we used to call the shot gun zone). I live a mile north into the regular rifle zone.

I want a new rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    I have taken many deer with a 223.
    Get a faster twist to stabilize the Nosler Defense 70 grain bonded. Barnes ammo is also effective. Lehigh Defense controlled chaos is also good.
    A great choice is the Henry Single Shot
    Practice practice practice you will do this with less expense with a 223 (If your state law allows)
    The Henry is fine rifle very accurate and the single shot teaches patients and getting the right shot. It’s hefty enough that recoil of the 223 is like 22 Mag. But behind the shoulder shots with the bullets mentioned above anchor deer well. Not good for frontal shots but fine for quartering away into the vitals. Shot placement is first with all calibers and my kids all learned on .223 , 220 swift and 6.8 SPC
    I’ve been looking at the Henry single shots. Hard to find but, they are out there. I’ve got a Henry .22 wmr.

Off gun broker i figure it’s going to be about $550 after shipping and fees.

I bought my RAR .450 6 months before Henry announced the single shot .450. I would have waited for the Henry if I had known about the release in 2019

I’m also in favor of the 243. Components and brass seem obtainable.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

All three of my children started with a .243 Winchester. It works on deer as well as anything else at normal ranges. If you can shoot straight. If you can’t, a bigger gun won’t help.
    And the .223 will kill deer just fine, as well. Been there,done that. Will do it again probably.

Boolit Master
    A .243 with the correct bullet for standard twist. Some will shoot the 90 gr+ with no trouble, some need to drop down to the 8-0 gr or lower ? I wish they came with a tad faster twist from the factory??
    I would never give a young shooter or new shooter a lever gun !
    With a lever gun you have to put your wet cold hand on the hammer and pull the trigger. IMO very un-safe for young or newbees ?
    A Savage Youth model, in .243, bolt is perfect for small or young shooter's, can also use as a smaller adult.
    Correct size for most to handle. Recoil is light and straight back. Bullets and brass are usually not hard to come by? Depending how you want to load ?
    Great deer gun, varmint or can be loaded for competition ? Very accurate...... Son set 4 National Reckord's with a 6MM at 500 or 600 yds.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast