Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: my back went out

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I suffered with a back that was going out and suffered pain for years. I finally got operated on and it was amazing. I had a disk removed and the two vertebrae fused together. When I recovered, there was no pain at all anymore. I wish I had done it years before. Don’t hesitate to have the operation, but be sure to do research on the surgeon who will do it. Not all are the same.

Boolit Master
    I also have back and leg pain on my right side. One doctor claimed I had damaged my spine discs from weight lifting and surgery was the only proper treatment for pain relief. Then another doctor claimed my back was contaminated with arthritis as the cause. Who do you believe, who do you trust? For now I am using stretching exercises (bending forward at the waist) and seeing some relief from it. Surgery? On my back??? Ain't gonna happen! All this makes me suspect the doctors are simply using me to get another payday from Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    I also have back and leg pain on my right side. One doctor claimed I had damaged my spine discs from weight lifting and surgery was the only proper treatment for pain relief. Then another doctor claimed my back was contaminated with arthritis as the cause. Who do you believe, who do you trust? For now I am using stretching exercises (bending forward at the waist) and seeing some relief from it. Surgery? On my back??? Ain't gonna happen! All this makes me suspect the doctors are simply using me to get another payday from Medicare.
    The more I experience medicine, the more I agree, but it's not the doctors' fault. It's the MBAs managing the hospitals, combined with the bureaucrats regulating them. Karl Denninger does a rant on this subject every couple of months, and he's not wrong. https://market-ticker.org
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

Get an mri done to make sure. I held off getting operated on till the damage in most areas was to severe to fix. Be smart and get a 3rd opinion I needed. Looking back inwould check with an ortho and neuro surgeon for opinions. I had to beg my neuro surgeon as therexwas only a 50/50 chance it would help me walk. I lucked out but he won't do any of my other areas. Good luck

Definitely get 2nd and even 3rd opinions. Be aware that many surgeons rely on radiologists to interpret MRIs, and radiologists are sometimes pretty sketchy.

I'm remembering the first "spinal surgeon" I was referred to when my whole saga started. Waiting room looked like the bar scene from Star Wars. I'm 90% sure he was actually a "pill mill" doctor. Never went anywhere near him again, and in fact I switched to a whole different medical group soon after.

One of the downsides to my rural Ohio retirement BOL is 2nd-rate medical care across the board. I had a knee done up in Ann Arbor about 5 years ago, where the better doctors prefer to live. I had my laminectomy done in Marietta for logistical reasons, but now, if I need surgery for anything more than a hangnail, back to A2 is where I'm going.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Definitely get 2nd and even 3rd opinions. Be aware that many surgeons rely on radiologists to interpret MRIs, and radiologists are sometimes pretty sketchy.

I'm remembering the first "spinal surgeon" I was referred to when my whole saga started. Waiting room looked like the bar scene from Star Wars. I'm 90% sure he was actually a "pill mill" doctor. Never went anywhere near him again, and in fact I switched to a whole different medical group soon after.

One of the downsides to my rural Ohio retirement BOL is 2nd-rate medical care across the board. I had a knee done up in Ann Arbor about 5 years ago, where the better doctors prefer to live. I had my laminectomy done in Marietta for logistical reasons, but now, if I need surgery for anything more than a hangnail, back to A2 is where I'm going.
    Humm, my neurosurgeon pulled my MRI up on his computer and proceeded to explain everything I was seeing in terms I could understand. Now, I am smart but I don't have the language they use. He then gave me my options for ongoing treatment, a probable timeline, and pain control processes I could use as my spine degenerated. Very different from your experience.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Dick Feynman, the famous physicist/mathematician, once said that "if you can't explain your theorem to a cocktail waitress, you don't understand it yourself". The good doctors can do that. My knee surgeon up in A2 could and did. The guy down here who did the laminectomy, not so much. I live and learn, even at my advanced age.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

My back surgeon is a wannabe cowboy but he is good at explaining what is causing the pain and what can be done for treatment. In my case a low back fusion would help leg nerve pain(that is not a huge issue) but it would NOT help the low back pain due to to much low back damage. So meds to keep it down to a dull roar so I can semi function for the day and sleep somewhat at night. Walk, keep core muscles strong...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    My back surgeon is a wannabe cowboy but he is good at explaining what is causing the pain and what can be done for treatment. In my case a low back fusion would help leg nerve pain(that is not a huge issue) but it would NOT help the low back pain due to to much low back damage. So meds to keep it down to a dull roar so I can semi function for the day and sleep somewhat at night. Walk, keep core muscles strong...
    I just had the nerves burned in the L5 area done yesterday afternoon. Insurance will only cover on side at a time so above and below my surgery site on the right side. Other than some discomfort from injections, seems to be helping so far. They will do the left side the end of next month. Had to have four numbing and four block shots done (both left and right side) each of the two months prior. Again Insurance rules to make sure blocks work. The surgery I had was due to what felt like cables in the backs of my legs trying to walk. My surgery did great in getting me back to walking. Hopefully the burning will allow me to sit, etc for more than 45 minutes or so without some nasty pain. Would be nice to drive and see my kids. Good luck.
    Ron

Oh, do keep us posted. First 48 hours or so after my first ablation I was fine, and then WHAM! Pain level up into the 9s at times, functionally bedridden for a couple of months unless I dosed myself with heavy opioids. Have declined to go back for the second one.

Certainly does seem that insurance companies are dictating therapy, rather than doctors. Perhaps too many doctors were abusing the insurance coverage?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Jon, I have no words of wisdom for your back pain and I am also dealing with some pain/health issues that limit my ability to sit in an office chair for too long. It was mentioned a while back and bears repeating that a tablet of some kind makes the internet a lot easier to access from your recliner. While an Ipad is top-shelf and that is what I prefer, one of the Amazon Fire tablets on a black friday sale is super cheap. My Ipad "magic keyboard" is a little cramped but absolutely perfect key feel. The Ipad Pro also allows you to access an external hard drive. The Fire tablet won't do that, but you can get a bluetooth keyboard/cover cheap if you don't want to use the keyboard on the screen. I have this as well and it works ok, and most importantly it is 20% of the cost of an Ipad. Sometimes the best way to deal with an issue is to avoid it and do something else
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Jon, I have no words of wisdom for your back pain and I am also dealing with some pain/health issues that limit my ability to sit in an office chair for too long. It was mentioned a while back and bears repeating that a tablet of some kind makes the internet a lot easier to access from your recliner. While an Ipad is top-shelf and that is what I prefer, one of the Amazon Fire tablets on a black friday sale is super cheap. My Ipad "magic keyboard" is a little cramped but absolutely perfect key feel. The Ipad Pro also allows you to access an external hard drive. The Fire tablet won't do that, but you can get a bluetooth keyboard/cover cheap if you don't want to use the keyboard on the screen. I have this as well and it works ok, and most importantly it is 20% of the cost of an Ipad. Sometimes the best way to deal with an issue is to avoid it and do something else
    Wireless KB with trackball and put the computer up on the big screen TV! I do that when I want to lean back and just watch YT vids or just read... 75" computer monitor! LOL

I have degenerative arthritis in my lower back and sometimes it flares up.
    Last episode was the most painful in my life - which included getting shot when I was 21.
    PT to keep me on the right track, stretching and exercise to build core and support muscles (2X daily), and a chiropractor has kept it in check. (....alternate one week PT, one week chiro) Even moving towards an anti-inflammatory diet. Trying my best to cut out wheat, dairy and sugar.
    I work at a desk on a computer all day but get up at least 20 times a day and walk a bit or even do little stretches. Perfect excuse to check the wood stove, bring in some wood, or get a coffee or water or make a pit stop.
    Is it easy? No....you really have to commit to it and do it. The human body has a remarkable way of healing itself if you REALLY help it out.
    I complained to my doc of 40 years about being sore and getting old and he told me to stop complaining....he has patients that do Tai Chi daily at 95.
    You do as much as you can until your body tells you that you are reaching your limit....time to stop.
    This is one time when you cannot BS yourself.
    Do it....do it COMPETELY and get better. Don't do it....you get surgery and drugs. The medical-industrial complex loves people like that.....
    Very simple formula....do it or don't.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 12-04-2022 at 08:31 PM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Thanks to everyone who shared comments, both good and bad (about Chiropractors).

https://www.glencoefamilychiropracti...nstead-system/

The Chiropractic Practice I am seeing uses the Gonstead System. I'm told only 3% of Chiropractors use it. For my condition (shown by xrays), it seems like the best and most economical solution. After my research on it, I am sold on it. The Doc uses my xrays to formulate a long term plan for my spiral rehabilitation, of course I have to follow all the Doc's guidelines to best chance at success, and I plan to. I have five major issues in my spine, that need correcting. I have had 9 visits so far, and have seen/felt incremental improvement at each step of the way. There is a lot more visits I'm told, and plan to stick with it. A BIG plus for me, is this is a faith based practice.

and, as I mentioned before, it's painful for me to sit in front of computer (but getting better), so I am online very rarely, so be patient of you have any more thoughts for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I have degenerative arthritis in my lower back and sometimes it flares up.
    Last episode was the most painful in my life - which included getting shot when I was 21.
    PT to keep me on the right track, stretching and exercise to build core and support muscles (2X daily), and a chiropractor has kept it in check. (....alternate one week PT, one week chiro) Even moving towards an anti-inflammatory diet. Trying my best to cut out wheat, dairy and sugar.
    I work at a desk on a computer all day but get up at least 20 times a day and walk a bit or even do little stretches. Perfect excuse to check the wood stove, bring in some wood, or get a coffee or water or make a pit stop.
    Is it easy? No....you really have to commit to it and do it. The human body has a remarkable way of healing itself if you REALLY help it out.
    I complained to my doc of 40 years about being sore and getting old and he told me to stop complaining....he has patients that do Tai Chi daily at 95.
    You do as much as you can until your body tells you that you are reaching your limit....time to stop.
    This is one time when you cannot BS yourself.
    Do it....do it COMPETELY and get better. Don't do it....you get surgery and drugs. The medical-industrial complex loves people like that.....
    Very simple formula....do it or don't.
    FISH4BUGS,
    Thanks for the advice, it sounds very reasonable, for sure. As my back is slowly-incrementally getting better over the 6 weeks, I plan to do just that.

My Chiro has gotten me back to functional, almost eliminated the all the daily doses of OTC pain meds (now one or two per day, instead of 8 or 9), still have some little ticklings of pain, they come and go. Yep, smart exercise and diet change are in order, the later being the most challenging for me...I probably need counseling for my love of food.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    this nerve burning thing is something I was offered. it was being pushed real hard by a local medical groups. ive spoken to several people who have had it. and after learning from 5 years of treatments. it hasn't helped anyone I know who has had it. its very expensive and has no long term effective help in anyone I know who has had it. in fact it was the straw that broke the camels back for my next door neighbor a few years ago when he and his wife got so frustrated with the limited options in good health care that exist here. in a matter of less than a month they sold just about everything and moved to a place they believe to be more civilized with better medical care options.
    some people can get over chronic back problems with physical therapy and lots of exercise and for others nothing helps. everyone is different and has different unique situations even though the diagnosis is described as the same thing.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    this nerve burning thing is something I was offered. it was being pushed real hard by a local medical groups. ive spoken to several people who have had it. and after learning from 5 years of treatments. it hasn't helped anyone I know who has had it. its very expensive and has no long term effective help in anyone I know who has had it. in fact it was the straw that broke the camels back for my next door neighbor a few years ago when he and his wife got so frustrated with the limited options in good health care that exist here. in a matter of less than a month they sold just about everything and moved to a place they believe to be more civilized with better medical care options.
    some people can get over chronic back problems with physical therapy and lots of exercise and for others nothing helps. everyone is different and has different unique situations even though the diagnosis is described as the same thing.
    The spine is a VERY complicated device and the construction is different in all of us. Basic design is the same but from there each body is different and no one treatment can fit all. Why I hate corporate medical care, bean counters make the decisions and not the docs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Surgery? On my back??? Ain't gonna happen!
    Until you suffer real pain and cannot sleep or function. If you can live with the pain, do so. When you cannot live with it, your perspective will change.

In most cases, what is causing the problem is not going to get better. This is where I am at. Do I want surgery in my early 70's or late 70's? My mom suffers in constant pain and is 99, but they will not operate due to her age.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I spoke to a lot of people who had it before I consented. They would only do the two nerves at a time so the two on the left will be done in about four weeks. So far so good. Actually looking forward to the next procedure to see what it might be like to be able to sit for more that an hour without excruciating pain. Like Mary said, everyone is different.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123