Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my back went out

Moderator Emeritus

my back went out

I've been offline for a while...Just thought I'd check in.
    A few weeks ago, I started having lightening bolt pains in my lower back & hips, Sciatica I am told.

I've had 6 visits to Chiropractor so far, many more to come.
    3rd degree degradation in lower disks...the chiro says "we" can fix it, I'm hoping "we" can bring me back, and I am not sure what to do if he can't? (well, I know what to do, I just don't want surgery)
    On the plus side, I have experienced incremental improvement after each chiro adjustment/treatment...time will tell, I guess.

it's painful for me to sit in front of computer, so I am online very rarely, so be patient of you have thoughts for me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Super Moderator

I hope that it can fully recover Jon, I have had back pain that made it so I couldn't even put on my shoes or socks. Couldn't bend over to wash my legs or feet in the shower either. Get better soon my friend! I know what it it feels like.

I have had bad back pain, no fun.
    I feel for you man!

Boolit Grand Master

Jon, get an MRI and find out exactly what is going on. Back surgery is not what it was even 10 years ago. Find a good neuro surgeon and get a consultation once you have an MRI in hand so he/she can see and diagnose what is going on.

For me it was both central stenosis and my L4/5 disk gone. I also had stenosis growing L5/S1 so I told my surgeon to do it all at once. He said that recovery would take longer, but since I had no idea what a normal recovery was, made no difference to me so I told him to do it. From the time I first saw the surgeon and my first lower back MRI the area where the spinal cord went through the spine was reduced to about the size of my little finger. (normal size about the size of the base of my thumb) I wore a back brace and had no pain but about 18months later I stood up two different times and had no feeling in my right leg for maybe a tenth of a second. I saw my Primary Doctor and told her about this and mentioned that I probably ought to contact my surgeon. "I would make that my first priority" was her response. I did, got another MRI. Now the space for the spinal cord was slightly larger than a needle. I told him to schedule my surgery ASAP, he did. I have three pieces of flexible titanium replacing the missing disk. I have rods and bolts in my back. I have a lifetime 40lb lifting limit, but I am still walking and would not be without the surgery.

I had the surgery and within 24 hours I was walking, with significant help the first couple of times, but then on my own, first with my cane and then without. I went home the second day after the surgery.

Obviously I had an excellent neuro surgeon. Don't underestimate what they can do for you.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I have had Sciatica and it is miserable.
    I did two things, both of which helped: got a better bed and had acupuncture treament.
    after the very first acupuncture session my back was feeling better, after 6 sessions the pain was gone. I did also try medication at first but is just messed with my head and it did not solve the pain problem.
    best to you
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

I hope the treatments work for you.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I feel for you. I did a lot of rescurch before surgery, it was thought my disks were gone. There is a device that looks like two beer caps with a plastic disk between, used to replace the disks, only draw back is you gain 1/4" in heigh for each replacement. Told up and walking next day. I was not so lucky, I had a tumor on spinal cord at about L-5, cord was almost reduced to nothing. Loss of almost all feeling below the ribs. This was in 2006, still have trouble but I can still walk, not very good, but still walk. With new medical treatments amazing things are happening, Ger the MRI, talk to a good surgeon, see what they think they can do for you? The longer you Wate, it only gets worser...... With the tumor and the infection along with massive cord damage, I was told if I had waited just a few months more, I would not be walking.... I send you all my best for your recovery........

Boolit Master
    i would be leary of a chiropractor that requires many repeat visits. usually 1 or 2 visits should put things back in place. if not go elswhere. i have a friend that several years ago was going on a regular basis with no relief. i told him to stop going for a while. he did and lost the pain. when my pain stays for over a week, i use a gravity table a few times a day; usually helps

Boolit Master
    oops, its called a inversion table

Boolit Grand Master

I had an injury when I was playing football that left me with Sciatica for a little while. It wasn't horrible, but tying shoes or sitting long wasn't very fun. I went to the Chiropractor for weeks. As far as I'm concerned they are nothing but quack doctors. I was stretched out, which I was already doing on my own. I also remember the electric machine that shocked me. It was very uncomfortable, and did not do one thing. Finally I quit going, and the problem went away soon enough.

In my case my issue was strained muscles in the lower back which just needed to heal. Spinal problems are a whole other ball game. I would trust your doctor, your real doctor. If he says to go to the Chiropractor, then I guess do that. I wish you luck. I found walking was the best cure in my case, but again, that was a muscular problem.

I have 3 vertebrae that are gone 2 of the fused together from use. I used to go to a chiropractor but when I had shoulder surgery I ended up in physiotherapy, the young lady told me to let her give my back a go, man did she straighten it out. I’ll be pain free for months till I do something dumb, then go back for 2 sessions and be good again. Best it’s been in 20 years.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wayne gave you good advice.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Jon, here hoping you get well soon!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    I do hope you can get good help & recover.

I do not know if this will help any at all.

I got to "enjoying" back pain several years ago due to normal activity etc. Nothing severe,, but lower back pain. Well, about a year & half ago,, I got an inversion chair. A Teeter Hang-Up brand. One of the better ones.
    At first it was a little funky feeling,, but even the very first time I tried it,, it felt good. I only stayed a few minutes the first several times. I slowly increased the amount of time I hang upside down. I do a daily regime of 10 minutes every morning now. The first few months,, I'd get places in my back to "pop" and feel immediate relief. Now,, if I've had a hard day,, I get on it a second time in the evenings, and get relief. The two biggest things. (1) My back doesn't pop as hard or as noticeable as in the beginning. (2) My back pains have pretty much ceased unless I work hard and then only after the work is it an issue. Time on the chair & I'm golden. Another noticeable thing. I'm also noticing how often several little places in my back & neck just "click" as they shift & align.

I spoke with a Chiropractor about this as well. He was not my doctor,, and just a shooter who comes to my matches. He had zero interests in me as a patient. He said; "Many people do benefit from using that type of treatment,, IF,,IF they can do it comfortably. Make sure you get a good chair that allows easy return to the upright position. And to make sure you "rest" before stepping off the chair."

I told him I pull myself back up, to a parallel position, and stay that way for a few minutes to allow the blood flow to return to normal.

I wish I'd started this 10 years ago. but it's JUST MY OWN EXPERIENCES!

Moderator Emeritus

I've had back/neck pain for 28 years now. Think I have more damaged dies than good throughout my back including thoracic which I was told was hard to do. Not the prize I wanted. I put off surgeries for way to long and finally begged a doc at a 50% chance for improvement. It got me walking right again. Before surgery and more chiropractor visits, I would do a Wayne Smith suggested and get an MRI. I would also look into TRADITIONAL acupuncture along with the electrodes hooked up to the needles. What a difference it made for ME. Back then it was not covered by insurance but the $3,500 I spent on treatments really made a difference. Back pain sucks. I am on a disability pension and SS Disability. Please take care of your back now. It only gets worse the older you get. Just slept the last three nights on the floor again to get some relief. Good luck.
    Ron

USMC 77, USRA 79

Jon? Get yourself an IPad Mini… easy to handle and better for bad back days.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

I’m not there yet but when I am, I believe I will opt for the treatment from the following link.

It seems treatments have greatly developed and they try to show that on their web site.

https://www.donnallyspine.com/
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I've been offline for a while...Just thought I'd check in.
    A few weeks ago, I started having lightening bolt pains in my lower back & hips, Sciatica I am told.

I've had 6 visits to Chiropractor so far, many more to come.
    3rd degree degradation in lower disks...the chiro says "we" can fix it, I'm hoping "we" can bring me back, and I am not sure what to do if he can't? (well, I know what to do, I just don't want surgery)
    On the plus side, I have experienced incremental improvement after each chiro adjustment/treatment...time will tell, I guess.

it's painful for me to sit in front of computer, so I am online very rarely, so be patient of you have thoughts for me.
    Welcome to my life 24/7/365! My back is what made me retire early. I do not know what pain free is.

Besides the chiroquack get out and WALK as much as you can stand keeping in mind you have to retrace your steps so don't push to the I need to sit/lay down stage then turn around! My back surgeon and PT told me it is the best low back exercise there is.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Welcome to my life 24/7/365! My back is what made me retire early. I do not know what pain free is.

Besides the chiroquack get out and WALK as much as you can stand keeping in mind you have to retrace your steps so don't push to the I need to sit/lay down stage then turn around! My back surgeon and PT told me it is the best low back exercise there is.
    My steps are planed so I can get back. Yes I push it! Walking a dog is helpful if he, she can drag you back!LOL
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Bub
    "I have had bad back pain, no fun.
    I feel for you man!"

Due old age, 73yrs.

Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast