MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: gun ranger sniper

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    I wish some day to learn to shoot a pistol with such accuracy ? A rifle for me, no problem, a pistol a problem.... With my .223 I can shoot and hit a 1/2" bolt in the end of a chain at the 210 yds steel 49 out of 50 rounds, I need to spend more time with a pistol ??
    What's your setup? 1/4 MOA is impressive!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

I have had a couple of people tell me they can shoot well at distance. I have discussed my loading and shooting history with them - and made the point that I have never been a top shooter. But; I also know that the reality is that I can out shoot most people I engage with.

I have had the good fortune to have some express a desire to learn more about both shooting and reloading. I have gone back to the basics with them, worked with them a while; and most hav become better shooters than I - but will need years to develop the experience that years of reloading (and thinking/recording/evaluating/and finding what does not work) brings to those who are diligent.

My thoughts are offer to help those interested; be polite to those who are not interested or blowhards; and move on.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    I will look up the specks and PM them to you tomorrow, if that is OK with you?? I believe the barrel is 1 x 8 but I need to check?? I believe powder is 2230C ?And see which load is for that gun?? I do not trust my memory for such things......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I have had a couple of people tell me they can shoot well at distance. I have discussed my loading and shooting history with them - and made the point that I have never been a top shooter. But; I also know that the reality is that I can out shoot most people I engage with.

I have had the good fortune to have some express a desire to learn more about both shooting and reloading. I have gone back to the basics with them, worked with them a while; and most hav become better shooters than I - but will need years to develop the experience that years of reloading (and thinking/recording/evaluating/and finding what does not work) brings to those who are diligent.

My thoughts are offer to help those interested; be polite to those who are not interested or blowhards; and move on.
    A good moto to live by !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    It's not as easy as the video game that snowflake is used to playing!
    Yep ya beat me to it. Another call of duty keyboard commando! A real legend in his own mind!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Shooting at 1000 yards consistently take practice and training I’ve taken a couple of long range shooting courses and if you don’t shoot constantly you lose your skill.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    I was at the gun range and this guy is going on about how he shoots at a 1000 yards and all that is involved at shooting at a 1000. ok cool glad for you. At a 100 he was not on paper ok, he is asking me where is he hitting, I tell I am not sure. I suggest starting at 25 yards, he give me an odd look but goes along with it. At 25 he is hitting 3 or 4 inches high and right. Then looks at his scope and is trying to figure out how to adjust it. I suggested (could be wrong) but 1/4 moa at 100=4 clicks 50 yards 8 and 25 yards I think it is 16 clicks. He looking his dial and not sure what to do the arrow is going right your shooting right so trun left. I just have to wonder how anyone who can shoot out to 1000 yards has so little knowldge of scope adjustment.
    Talk is cheap. I've won a couple of $100 bets on 1,000-yard claims. In one case when we got to the range he never even took his "deer" rifle out of the case.

Anyone that I've ever met that shot well at distance knew what they were doing. Someone that that doesn't know how to adjust a scope is blowing BS.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

It's always the quiet guy in the corner, just doing his thing, old beat up car and gear (except for a meticulously maintained rifle), who outshoots everyone and then heads home with a few cloverleafs on a 300 yard target.

I'm not that guy. My late grandpa was and I learned a lot from him. Still wishing I could shoot like he did.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    A wanabe is a good thing and most of us wantabe better at some things than we are right now. A liar is another thing completely. I wantabe an SR71 pilot. how close am I to that? I saw a bunch of blades and vanes on the assembly floor at P&W back years ago.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    A wanabe is a good thing and most of us wantabe better at some things than we are right now. A liar is another thing completely. I wantabe an SR71 pilot. how close am I to that? I saw a bunch of blades and vanes on the assembly floor at P&W back years ago.
    I in the same boat as you. I got started in the rifle game a little late. When I pull my gear and rifle out it really looks like I might know what I'm doing. Then I start shooting and that image all goes to hell. I'm not good, but I'm trying.

Boolit Grand Master

My experience is that the ones who 'look' the part or 'talk' the part.....generally aren't the ones who can actually shoot. It's the quiet, modest looking old guy at the end of the bench ya' need to be paying attention to!
    The guys showing up at the range in full tacticool with the latest and greatest who wont shut-up about all they know are never the ones to watch. As you said, its the quiet guy just watching him or that dude at the end of the bench going about his business
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot 1,000 with irons and I was pretty damn good at it. Here in NJ there is nowhere near me to even try anymore and even if there was I seriously doubt I would still be able to do it. It is a skill that needs to be maintained, constant practice. I don't think I could even see the target in irons anymore at my age.
    But then you have the old WWII snipers like this old hero. It is a fairly long video but well worth watching. Unfortunately he is no longer with us but what those guys did for him was fantastic. And when he is shooting especially watch his eyes, They never blink or flinch even when he fires! After all those years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VADFpAfDLY

Boolit Grand Master

Im also impressed and would like a rundown especially the optics
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

If thats' a 1/2" bolt and he's shooting at the bolt head, then is' more like 1/2 moa shooting at 200 yards or consistently less than a 1" group. Not undoable as my recently rebuilt 223 Rem M700V with Kreiger 8" twist will do that with match and quality varmint bullets. A couple weeks ago I shot a 200/11x F class score at 300 yards. The 10 ring is moa and the X ring is 1/2 moa. Conditions, let alone a very accurate rifle, a quality scope and an excellent load, have to be very, very good to consistently put 49 of 50 shots into even 1/2 moa at 200 yards.

Shooting moa consistently at 1000 yards with a good rifle, good scope and a good load capable of such that is properly zeroed isn't really that difficult for an experienced shooter. It's the getting there which stymies most and even then, can separate the men from the boys. Many 1000 yard matches are shot with service rifles, match rifle and Palma rifles having aperture sights [not high powered scopes] shooting from a prone position with sling [that's with no rest]. Usually, a relay will consist of 15 or 20 shots for record with 2 sighters allowed with a time limit of 1 minute per shot for 17 or 22 minutes for the relay. The 10 ring is 2 moa, and the X ring is moa. Many matches are won by X count with several shooters having "clean" scores.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

when people volunteer information about their greatness I tend to ignore them.

Boolit Master

Great video. Great shooting as well. I learned a looooong time ago, that just because a person can shoot 1 moa @ 100 yards, doesn't mean most can hold that @ 200 yards and beyond. Especially with the average deer rifle. I'd have that ole boy watching my back any time.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    It's always the quiet guy in the corner, just doing his thing, old beat up car and gear (except for a meticulously maintained rifle), who outshoots everyone and then heads home with a few cloverleafs on a 300 yard target.

I'm not that guy. My late grandpa was and I learned a lot from him. Still wishing I could shoot like he did.

--Wag--
    practice, PRACTICE and you can !!! It takes work to learn and then to keep your skills up....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    If thats' a 1/2" bolt and he's shooting at the bolt head, then is' more like 1/2 moa shooting at 200 yards or consistently less than a 1" group. Not undoable as my recently rebuilt 223 Rem M700V with Kreiger 8" twist will do that with match and quality varmint bullets. A couple weeks ago I shot a 200/11x F class score at 300 yards. The 10 ring is moa and the X ring is 1/2 moa. Conditions, let alone a very accurate rifle, a quality scope and an excellent load, have to be very, very good to consistently put 49 of 50 shots into even 1/2 moa at 200 yards.

Shooting moa consistently at 1000 yards with a good rifle, good scope and a good load capable of such that is properly zeroed isn't really that difficult for an experienced shooter. It's the getting there which stymies most and even then, can separate the men from the boys. Many 1000 yard matches are shot with service rifles, match rifle and Palma rifles having aperture sights [not high powered scopes] shooting from a prone position with sling [that's with no rest]. Usually, a relay will consist of 15 or 20 shots for record with 2 sighters allowed with a time limit of 1 minute per shot for 17 or 22 minutes for the relay. The 10 ring is 2 moa, and the X ring is moa. Many matches are won by X count with several shooters having "clean" scores.
    200/11x F class score at 300 yards NICE Yes you can be a little less accurate with iron sight and still get great scores..

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I do my best to not talk to anybody when I’m shooting at the range other than “are we clear for firing” it saves the stupidity and the drama. People sure like to come up and talk to you about my guns though and get all excited. I just try to stay quiet and keep it to a minimum and get my shooting in.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    From those I have heard tell me of shooting a deer at a thousand yards, once they are taken to a measured shooting range, they tend to drop off 6-700 yards.

I would be somewhat baffled about scope adjustment at 1000 yards, as I have only shot buffalo rifles with iron sights at that range.
    Last edited by waksupi; 11-11-2022 at 01:39 PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast