Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: gun ranger sniper

Moderator Emeritus

Had a guy like that at our last gravel pit shoot. Range is 1 1/2 miles long this year and a lot of 50bmgs etc are brought out. We start at 1k yards then back off 500yards at a time. I can generally get 3 of 4 shots on a standard man sized steel plate target at 1 mile, always seem to have 1 flyer(flinch probably... high power rifle makes me HURT). I do not practice enough to translate to be X ring accurate on a target. At 1k yards no problem being on the man sized steel plate but that is a big target! 100 yards with a .223 yes I am X ring accurate... go over 500 and nope not accurate. And as I get older it is harder to be super accurate.

One guy with a 20mm Vulcan rifle was consistent at 1 1/2 miles... he missed 1 of 10 shots. THAT was impressive to watch and hear. He shoots hand turned and weighed brass solids and makes his own targets because the bullet WILL punch holes in 1/2 inch AR-500 steel.

And the tank guy was there, he made a mess out of an old car we had put small holes in... always fun to watch him shoot that thing! The shock wave from it firing is awesome then to hear and see that round plow through an engine block...

Some hit x rings with a issue 1911 others miss the barn they're inside with the most tricked out 5 grand pistol you can buy
    Can't buy skill it's like respect it's earned!!

Boolit Buddy
    I went to a two day shooting clinic staged by the US Veterans Shooting Team for 1000 yd Palma (308 with a 155 grain bullet.) Needless to say I was quickly shamed. There are people who can routinely make superior scores at 1000 yards and those guys were them. Speaking frankly, most of those guys could shoot better prone at 1000 yards than I could at 600 from a bench and I don't consider myself a bad shot.

I have generally found that the kind of person that can routinely hit the black at 1000 yards with the 308 Palma isn't going to be one that tells you he can hit the black at 1000 yards 49 out of 50 times. I generally discount the Ricky Recondo's until such time as I see proof on target.

Boolit Grand Master
    We have many of them at the range here.
    Majority just read to many magazines or watch to many utube clips.
    Have no idea what they are even saying.
    They go out and buy the most expensive/fancy/trendy, stuff then can find, but can't even get on paper.
    Excuse is always "defective equipment"
    Worse part is they are dangerous.

Galena Guru

Fortunately the ranges I go to are somewhat remote and not well known by many .. I dont go as often as I used to , but I was never that good .. My issue is I favor iron and my eyes prefer glass .. I can still see well but have cataracts starting in both eyes , and my prescription gets a bit stronger every year .. MOA or close to it beyond 3-400 yards is probably long past for me .. But I will keep shooting regardless ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Master
    Those with the least to offer are usually the most willing to share it.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HollandNut View Post
    Fortunately the ranges I go to are somewhat remote and not well known by many .. I dont go as often as I used to , but I was never that good .. My issue is I favor iron and my eyes prefer glass .. I can still see well but have cataracts starting in both eyes , and my prescription gets a bit stronger every year .. MOA or close to it beyond 3-400 yards is probably long past for me .. But I will keep shooting regardless ..
    I had my Lenses replace a few years ago for the cataracts issue, now can see very good at distance, just need cheaters from the drugstore for up close, down time. one day, each eye...

It takes luck also some times. I was watching a father and son shooting 100 yards with 12" target, with larger than 12" groups with matching 30-06 rifles with 3-something scopes. They were very happy. But me being me i had to say "that cartridge is way better than that. See that steel deer out there at 600 yards? You should be able to hit that!"
    His reply was "show me".
    At that time I was shooting a lot of silhouette and had been reading a lot of tables on different cartridges as i was looking for a new gun, I said "sure I will try it.:
    I cranked the scope up, off hand, I held maybe 36-40 over target and pulled the trigger. BANG I hit the full size steel deer at 600 yards It was a good feeling. I turned around and here my buddy had walked up behind me and said "show off" it was luck. (3 weeks prior, I was helping my buddy understand drop from his rifle before a trip out west, where he took a ram at 500 yards

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by compass will; 11-11-2022 at 09:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Im also impressed and would like a rundown especially the optics
    Bolt action, Solid bottom, Rifle built for 300 meter, 4p, competition.
    Douglas barrel 1 - 7
    No ejector
    seria 80 gr hpbt 23grs 2230C
    Nosler 80gr hpbt 22.5gr 2230C
    Scope old Tasco World Class 1/16" Target 8 x 32 x 44
    This set up is best for longer ranges, out to 600+
    I do not think this set up will hit a steel plate at 200 yds.
    It does not go to sleep till just past the 200 mark.
    After 200+ Then can drive nails with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    I had my Lenses replace a few years ago for the cataracts issue, now can see very good at distance, just need cheaters from the drugstore for up close, down time. one day, each eye...
    I was 50 shooting silhouette with a guy who was 70 that just had cataract surgery done. He could see better than I could with open sights in the "lever action silhouette"

Boolit Grand Master

Bolt action, Solid bottom, Rifle built for 300 meter, 4p, competition.
    Douglas barrel 1 - 7
    No ejector
    seria 80 gr hpbt 23grs 2230C
    Nosler 80gr hpbt 22.5gr 2230C
    Scope old Tasco World Class 1/16" Target 8 x 32 x 44
    This set up is best for longer ranges, out to 600+
    I do not think this set up will hit a steel plate at 200 yds.
    It does not go to sleep till just past the 200 mark.
    After 200+ Then can drive nails with it
    If it doesn't shoot at 200 it will not shoot at distance.

Bryan Litz Ballistics
    March 20 ·
    Do bullets 'go to sleep' as they fly downrange?
    Yes and no.
    Yes, if there's a launch dynamic, and the bullet is stable, it will dampen the pitching and yawing angles as it flies. During this process, there will be a little more drag induced on the bullet, slightly lowering BC.
    No, this does not mean the groups are bad at shorter ranges. Technically the bullets will fly a very tiny corkscrew around the average flight path, but the radius is only about 0.010"-0.020" max. This has been proven on shoot-thru targets (yesterday's post) as well as 6-DOF simulations (attached video).
    Best way to explain why the corkscrew path is so small is to consider how quickly the bullet is precessing and nutating. By the time the bullet steers a little left, the nose has swung right, etc.
    This video shows the pitching and yawing angles (left) and bullet path from shooters eye view (right).

https://youtu.be/KH9SCbCBHaY
    Follow me for more about the science of ballistics⚡⚡⚡
    #AppliedBallistics #thescienceofaccuracy #ballistic #rifle #precisionrifle #longrangeshooting

Some more light reading on the subject.

https://appliedballisticsllc.com/wp-...lic-Swerve.pdf

https://www.longrangehunting.com/art...-to-sleep.690/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/art...ic-swerve.876/

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1205/1205.2071.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/BryanLitzBa...1058457177794/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-11-2022 at 10:18 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Farthest I have shot is 600 yards. M16A2 service rifle trying out for Parris Island Rifle Team. A female out shot me! Yep it hurt but, that is life. I did shoot the 200 yard off hand clean...... But that was not for SCORE!!! My head got so big I could not get the proper stock weld, the next day. I like my humble pie served with a mustard based barb-b-que sauce.

I don't have any place to shoot past 100 yards. I still like burning powder, both kinds.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Had a guy like that at our last gravel pit shoot. Range is 1 1/2 miles long this year and a lot of 50bmgs etc are brought out. We start at 1k yards then back off 500yards at a time. I can generally get 3 of 4 shots on a standard man sized steel plate target at 1 mile, always seem to have 1 flyer(flinch probably... high power rifle makes me HURT). I do not practice enough to translate to be X ring accurate on a target. At 1k yards no problem being on the man sized steel plate but that is a big target! 100 yards with a .223 yes I am X ring accurate... go over 500 and nope not accurate. And as I get older it is harder to be super accurate.

One guy with a 20mm Vulcan rifle was consistent at 1 1/2 miles... he missed 1 of 10 shots. THAT was impressive to watch and hear. He shoots hand turned and weighed brass solids and makes his own targets because the bullet WILL punch holes in 1/2 inch AR-500 steel.

And the tank guy was there, he made a mess out of an old car we had put small holes in... always fun to watch him shoot that thing! The shock wave from it firing is awesome then to hear and see that round plow through an engine block...
    Are you accepting new members? That sounds like an awesome place to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

If you get the chance take your spotting scope to a 1000 yd match and set up behind a good shooter. Stay low and watch his rounds "trace" go down range and into the target.
    You will get a new understanding of elevation wind and time of flight by the time you leave seeing the traces "banked corner" shape. When it starts out the trace will look like its going to hit 2 targets over then it starts to be pushed by the wind and drop as it slows both become much more pronounced.

At 600 yds the trace will "break" at just about the top of the target starting down into the target again, but the wind change isnt as obvious.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    If you get the chance take your spotting scope to a 1000 yd match and set up behind a good shooter. Stay low and watch his rounds "trace" go down range and into the target.
    You will get a new understanding of elevation wind and time of flight by the time you leave seeing the traces "banked corner" shape. When it starts out the trace will look like its going to hit 2 targets over then it starts to be pushed by the wind and drop as it slows both become much more pronounced.

At 600 yds the trace will "break" at just about the top of the target starting down into the target again, but the wind change isnt as obvious.
    Trace watching is one of the more enjoyable parts of scoring. I've only seen this a couple of times in 35 years since the conditions have to be perfect but when the bullet leaves a contrail scoring becomes downright enjoyable.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    If it doesn't shoot at 200 it will not shoot at distance.

Bryan Litz Ballistics
    March 20 ·
    Do bullets 'go to sleep' as they fly downrange?
    Yes and no.
    Yes, if there's a launch dynamic, and the bullet is stable, it will dampen the pitching and yawing angles as it flies. During this process, there will be a little more drag induced on the bullet, slightly lowering BC.
    No, this does not mean the groups are bad at shorter ranges. Technically the bullets will fly a very tiny corkscrew around the average flight path, but the radius is only about 0.010"-0.020" max. This has been proven on shoot-thru targets (yesterday's post) as well as 6-DOF simulations (attached video).
    Best way to explain why the corkscrew path is so small is to consider how quickly the bullet is precessing and nutating. By the time the bullet steers a little left, the nose has swung right, etc.
    This video shows the pitching and yawing angles (left) and bullet path from shooters eye view (right).

https://youtu.be/KH9SCbCBHaY
    Follow me for more about the science of ballistics⚡⚡⚡
    #AppliedBallistics #thescienceofaccuracy #ballistic #rifle #precisionrifle #longrangeshooting

Some more light reading on the subject.

https://appliedballisticsllc.com/wp-...lic-Swerve.pdf

https://www.longrangehunting.com/art...-to-sleep.690/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/art...ic-swerve.876/

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1205/1205.2071.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/BryanLitzBa...1058457177794/
    [ If it doesn't shoot at 200 it will not shoot at distance.]
    I know what this gun will do and what it doesn't. You don't. Until a bit past 200 there is no accuracy.... You want ? We can get together at my club and you can see for yourself??? That is an invite..

Boolit Grand Master

[ If it doesn't shoot at 200 it will not shoot at distance.]
    I know what this gun will do and what it doesn't. You don't. Until a bit past 200 there is no accuracy.... You want ? We can get together at my club and you can see for yourself??? That is an invite..
    That works for me. Next spring at Harris or Mpls? Prefer Harris since we can go out to 1,000 yards. At Mpls we have the electric scoring targets but that's only 300.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-12-2022 at 12:04 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    That works for me. Next spring at Harris or Mpls? Prefer Harris since we can go out to 1,000 yards. At Mpls we have the electric scoring targets but that's only 300.
    Deal; Mpls, bench rest, point 1, 210yds to steel. Yes 300 meters.

Boolit Grand Master

Deal; Mpls, bench rest, point 1, 210yds to steel. Yes 300 meters.
    How will that prove it shoots at distance? So your claiming you can't hit a steel plate at 200 yet at 300 it will drive nails? You stated it's set up for 600 so show me what it can do at 600.

Elk River is also an option but I am not a member there, but they have 600 yards.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Shooting buddy passed away several years ago. We would shoot almost every Saturday morning. The sun was behind us early in the day. We got into a silly competition shooting 45 Colt levers at 150 yards offhand at a steel target 8" x 8". You could watch the base of the lead bullet in the sun as it traveled to the target. Gave us an exaggerated view of the procession that rounds exhibit in their flight.

My range can go to 300 yards. Remington 308 heavy barrel with McMillan stock and handhloads. I have one target that is 3 shots into .89". It is my personal zen time, don't care about anything else when I am alone shooting.

Shot at 500 yards, open sights, M14, in the Marines. Did well, always expert.

Don

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast