WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dillon Tool Heads and stands - how to cover?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I load on a Dillon 550b that I have had since it was a 450....many years.
    I have accumulated a fair number of die sets, tool heads and tool head stands.
    I wonder what you Dillon users use to cover them up....or do you just leave them open to the elements in your reloading/casting area?
    In my OCD personality, i want it neat and organized.
    Before I start to figure out what to do, I thought I would get other input.
    I mean, I could cover each of them with an old sock, but then there are no labels and with 12 sets of dies i would have to go through each of them to find what I want.
    Yeah, i know....first world problems, right?
    But I have started to think about this a bit as fall closes and winter approaches.....that is my casting and reloading time.
    Your thoughts?.
    For the toolheads, I purchased "custom" calibre plastic labels -- e.g., ".45ACP" -- for each of my 11 different 550b toolheads. To store them I have a piece of 1" x 10" pine, on rubber nubs, resting on floor with commercial holders -- both from that ubiquitous "e-" online auction site. My reloading room is in unheated basement, and I do NOT cover them -- the ten in described holder on floor, or the one in use in loader. My reasoning is any, say, dust is less of a worry than affects from moisture. As an added btw, while each has a Dillon powder measure as part of it, I empty ALL powder from each immediately after use -- replacing it with a 3"x5" card on which I use a Sharpie to note powder, date, bullet/weight used, and measured amount. I'm too hurtin' (knee) right now -- but if I can make it down later I'll try and snap/post a photo.
    geo

I use an old pillow case to cover the Dillon 550B converted from a 450 and keep the tool heads and boxes with base plates in the wall cabinet above. The cover on the left is on the PW Metallic II. I built tool had stands for the powder throw mounted tool heads, not shown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 76188186-A2A1-4C2C-9332-16F27BFBCF0F.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hd09 View Post
    cut the legs off old jeans and sew the end shut.
    This is exactly what I did for my 5 conversions. Each has a powder measure and I cut the legs long enough to cover completely. Took the easy(cheap) way to identify with blue painters tape.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I cover my presses with legs from old overalls sewed closed.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

I keep mine in a cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I use an old pillow case to cover the Dillon 550B converted from a 450 and keep the tool heads and boxes with base plates in the wall cabinet above. The cover on the left is on the PW Metallic II. I built tool had stands for the powder throw mounted tool heads, not shown.
    Wish my shop looked that good, only thing I'd do differently is to have the powder on the floor. In case of fire, closer to the floor the better.

Flames have a bad habit of climbing the walls.

I built a 40"x40"x20" wooden box with 1-1/4" sides, bottom and top. The top just sits on loose to vent in case of fire. It sits on the floor away from I hope all the ignition sources.

Boolit Master

Crown Royal bags for me. I get them from a friend...
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Those friends come in handy.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    Crown Royal bags for me. I get them from a friend...
    I guess labeling which die sets they are really won't matter.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Took the easy(cheap) way to identify with blue painters tape.
    That's my idea of custom with the right price attached. I use it to repurpose 1lb powder bottles filled from 4/8lbers. A Sharpie completes the custom kit.

For ones with powder measure I use the sock.
    For the ones without I cut a square liquor bottle and put over it.
    My Grandson made me some 3-d printed stands.
    Works for me see thru too.

I use the Dillon covers as seen in the upper left of this photo. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	309691
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Master
    Old pillow cases for presses. I am cheap and the wife is always looking for a reason to buy new ones. As for die heads I have a six inch shelf with 3d printed tool head holders. I cover them with three liter bottles from soda the grand kids drink. Just take off the labels and cut off the bottoms as high as you need. Set on top and use a label maker to put what tool head they go over.

Keeps the dust off them and easy to clean the plastic is.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I've got my toolheads on a lazy suzan that added some toolhead stands to. I cover the whole thing with a trimmed down pillow case. Who am I kidding? I have a trimmed down pillow case for it, but rarely put it on. Same goes for my scale - I've got a cover for it but rarely use it.

I use plastic Trash Bags to cover my Shot Shell Presses and Metallic Presses. I have a Blue Dillon cover for my 550B and the Tool Heads live in an enclosed cabinet with Powder, Primers and "Buoolits." (Combination of Bullets and Boolits.)

Dirt is the primary destructive force that kills machinery. Where your machines are placed has a lot to do with how much dirt they get on them. Inside a room in your house,,, Good place!!!. In your garage where you park your cars,,, Not so good.

A Plastic Trash Bag over a machine is the simplest way to protect it from flying dirt.

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

If you don't have a powder measure on each one you can do this:

Attachment 310077

On my bigger tool heads for my ProChucker 7 press, I just cut the screw top out of a cashew nut jar and lay it over the tool head......Uniflow P.M. just lifts off the powder die (die with the spring in front). Then sit it on a shelf. Not much simpler than that. Uniflows go in a drawer.

Attachment 310078
    Last edited by GWS; 02-03-2023 at 02:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    um, paper bags from the grocery store are my press covers...new every week.
    If not tall enough, cut the bottom off of one and tape it to another.
    They sell reusable cloth bags that would work too, but you'll have to invest $0.50 for one of those.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Grand Master

If you have a powder measure on each one it gets more difficult. But if you don't, look in the kitchen pantry, laundry room, ect for plastic bottles and cut the top off to fit.

The Dillon price sounds high but bear in mind that its a one time purchase, for each.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12