RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Seating 160 FTX Bullet Deforming Case

Banned

Seating 160 FTX Bullet Deforming Case

I looked through the threads and couldn't find anything similar, so I hope someone has some experience with this. I have successfully loaded several 30 WCF rounds with the 160 FTX bullet. However, I went to load some more with brass that had been FL resized and when I went to seat the bullet it crushed the case. I thought that was very strange since it never happened to anything I've reloaded before. I grabbed another already FL resized case and a case that had not been resized and FL resized it and same result. It is like my RCBS die was not properly expanding the neck but I verified die set up. The bullet is BT so it had no issues starting but once it got to .308 width, it would not go in and then crush the case. Anyone have this happen and determined the cause?
    Last edited by RSAPD; 02-05-2023 at 06:43 PM.

Are you cleaning the cases? If so, what method are you using?
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master

+1 on cleaning.

If you have the cases squeaky clean, there is too much friction between case and bullet.

Have you recently annealed this batch of cases as well?

Boolit Master
    I have had this problem in the past with RCBS dies, Went to Lee dies and problem went away ???

Boolit Master
    Lessee; Your sized cases are collapsing during bullet seating.

You are loading boat tail bullets so easy bullet entry is assured. But it seems clear your sized/expanded necks are too small, right? But you're already using RCBS dies which many web gurus want the world to know are perfect, right? But, something on your bench has to be wrong, right? Sooo ... I wonder?

Do you have anything, anything at all, from Lee on your bench? If so, pull down and store the red stuff in a damp, dark corner of your garage; then repeat your sizing and seating. If your undersize necks are still collapsing I don't know what could be wrong ... unless, God forbid, it's those high quality RCBS dies. ???

Suggest you call the RCBS customer service line and see if they have any guesses.

I would measure the ID of the case. You only want about 0.002 neck tension. So if you are FL resizing and it is giving you some enormous amount of neck tension, that could be your problem. Although I used 0.006 with cast bullets at one time and never had an issue. The only time I had cases collapse was after annealing the necks and then running them up into a Lee collect sizing die. But in that case, the collet had galled on the body and was staying closed.

I assume you have checked inside the die and made sure that there is no obstruction that might prevent the case mouth from proceeding upward into the die body. I truly struggle with a boattail bullet causing a case to collapse.

I am confused about one thing. You said this:
    I thought that was very strange since it never happened to anything I've reloaded before. I grabbed another already FL resized case and a case that had not been resized and FL resized it and same result. It is like my RCBS die was not properly expanding the neck but I verified die set up.
    That gives me the impression that your sizing die (which should also be the decapping die) also expands your case neck. I've never seen a FL resizer that also expands the case neck. Maybe they are out there, but I've never owned one. I have two sets of RCBS dies (given to me with rifle purchases) and both have a separate expander dies.
    Regards,
    Rob

Banned
    Thanks everyone. The cases I have been working with have been FL resized a few times but not annealed. I cleaned them by tumbling in corncob like I always do. Been reloading 30WCF for a long time and had already done some with the FTX bullet, so I am a little surprised by this event. When you FL resize, the decapping pin has a bell or whatever you call it to flare the case mouth to properly start a jacketed bullet. I did try a flat based 170gr bullet and that would not start either. Correct, no obstruction in the die, double checked set up.

1hole - so much sarcasm in your reply, I am not sure what to make of it all. Are you of the opinion all Lee products are better as recycled metal? I am not a volume reloader but everything gets some use frequently. I mostly have Lee reloading equipment but have a variety of other brands of tools.