Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Synthetic Grease??

Boolit Mold

Synthetic Grease??

In my first effort to mix my own lube I began with . . .

50% beeswax
    50% Valvoline synthetic grease

Smelly to mix (double boiler), but no odor after it hardened, and, surprisingly, when fired.

A little soft, so I think I will increase the beeswax component to 55-60% next time.

No leading up at 1,200 fps (45 Colt Blackhawk).

My question is. . . I'm not seeing synthetic grease in anyone's recipes. Just wondering if I'm missing something, or a trailblazer?

Thanks!!

Boolit Master
    A quick peek in the archives shows this thread. I suspect that there are others. The search feature will probably help you find what others have done with this product.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...se+bullet+lube

If you really want to turn some heads at the range, get some candle scent from the craft store to mix in the lube. You will smell it each time you shoot.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Mold
    I was thinking about adding Old Spice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    If you really want to turn some heads at the range, get some candle scent

I do that for my slow handgun boolits.
    I gather up Mrs. Winger's old fu-fu candles and mix them with high temp. disc brake grease.

I had a guy at the range ask me if I got my ammunition from San Francisco.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyUpstate View Post
    In my first effort to mix my own lube I began with . . .

50% beeswax
    50% Valvoline synthetic grease

Smelly to mix (double boiler), but no odor after it hardened, and, surprisingly, when fired.

A little soft, so I think I will increase the beeswax component to 55-60% next time.

My question is. . . I'm not seeing synthetic grease in anyone's recipes. Just wondering if I'm missing something, or a trailblazer?

Thanks!!
    Here is a very effective lube for smokeless . It is called Lithi-Bee and I used to buy it from a commercial lube maker who advised me it was better than the Alox-Beeswax 50/50 he also sold ... he was right ! I have never had any lead left in a barrel Handgun or Rifle with it ... 40+ years using it . He no longer makes lubes but he gave me the recipe and it's simple .

1 Part Lithium Grease (Lucas Red-N-Tacky) / 3 Parts Beeswax - use weight measurements .

The grease will not melt but will soften and must be blended into the melted beeswax ( a large metal whisk works best ) Let cool , reheat and blend a second time for best results.
    This is a soft lube ... if too soft harden with a little Paraffin Wax .
    Heating and mixing is best done in an old Crock Pot ... Do Not Heat Past 400 degrees - the beswax's Flash Point ... it will catch on fire! Keep a Fire Extinguisher and lid handy .

Over the last 50+ years of shooting cast boolits I've tried many many different commerical lubes ... I keep coming back to Lithi-Bee because it keeps the lead out !

I don't know if Lucas R-N-T is synthetic but it works so just go with it ...maybe synthetic isn't always better that real !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyUpstate View Post
    SNIP>>>

Thanks!!
    Welcome to the forum.

What is your goal?
    Just no leading? then you'll be OK.

Typically, Synth oil/grease contain some amount of "slickeners". Too much "slick" in a lube recipe can effect accuracy, which is more likely noticeable in Rifle ammo, and less so in pistol ammo. But, I did find a accuracy problem with a DIY pistol boolit lube recipe that I made with a PAO based synth Oil and beeswax. I found over 25% oil caused problems, under 20% worked fine.

I have no idea what's in Valvoline synthetic grease...so you may be good, or you may have issues.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    You want to get it a little harder just add some paraffin. If you want color add some color crayons. you want it to smell Prity add some sent ?? I blend my own lube, similar to this,1 Part Lithium Grease (Lucas Red-N-Tacky) / 3 Parts Beeswax - use weight measurements . I use A different %s, no lead in barrel, works good even in summer with high temps. Bees wax temp at 400 degs, lithium 500+, paraffin ??, Does not melt and blend together easily, lots of mixing, but works fantastic, usually does not need a heater on lube-sizer, unless real cold and then not much heat. Have not tried this lube with black powder ???