WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Resizing 357 Maximum for 357 magnum shot loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 on the advice of challenger i. When I have made cylinder length shotshells for 38's, I have used the same method, though I used a 32 ACP seater die to neck the cases after annealing. The correct procedure for reusable cases, is to:
    trim cases,
    anneal,
    prime,
    insert powder charge,
    seat over-powder wad,
    lightly lube the outside of the neck,
    run prepared case into 32 ACP seater die to form shoulder that allows the case to chamber in the revolver,
    insert shot,
    place over shot card on top of shot,
    crimp lightly with the 32 ACP Sizer die after removing the primer decapping rod,
    finally, seal with a lacquer-type, liquid--like nail polish. Use at least two coats to aid in keeping your cases and shot together while handling or carrying them.

If you only intend to do a handful, especially if you scrounged the cases and have no money in them, don't bother with annealing.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

A Lee push thru sizing die will have a lead-in that should work. Case mouth will be around 0.380" so the mouth should slide into a 0.358" push thru

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    What can be used to resize the mouths of 357 Max brass so they will fit the 357 magnum cylinder? A 9mm Lee Factory crimp die? Lee bullet sizing die, .356? A 9mm size die?
    a Lee .309 boolit sizing die.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	357-case-crammed-into-309-die.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	311944

How many grains of #9 shot can you stuff into a converted 357 Maximum case?

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by kombayotch View Post
    How many grains of #9 shot can you stuff into a converted 357 Maximum case?
    I do not have my cheat book with me, but I believe I was loading 140gr #8 1/2 in the rounds I made up. YMMV depending on
    your wad stack and powder volume.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    I do not have my cheat book with me, but I believe I was loading 140gr #8 1/2 in the rounds I made up. YMMV depending on
    your wad stack and powder volume.
    Thanks! DO you recall What powder and wads you were using?

Quote Originally Posted by kombayotch View Post
    Thanks! DO you recall What powder and wads you were using?
    That, I do! Unique and .360" 1/8" over powder card from Track of the Wolf. Over-shot cards were punched with a 5/16"
    gasket punch from soda cases or Dime Store poster board. Roll crimp with a 222 Rem sizing die, backed off to just roll the mouth. Seal with gel-type fingernail polish.

Be advised: if you will be using the 357 Max cases in a Model 60, or 642, you will need to trim the cases .063".
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Thanks! I was looking at those Track of the Wolf cards. Been making mime cutting them out with a sharpened 9mm case on a drill...

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Well, I'm open to empirical evidence, but it seems mighty counter-intuitive to me.
    Shot loads in rifled barrels generally work best as slow as you can get them, I stop at function in semiautos. If you want evidence you won’t blow up your gun, you can watch my videos or perhaps just buy some CCI ones that are necked dow as well and try them yourself.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/handg...ll/6-3745.html

I’ve just completed a test of using .357 magnum brass for .38 Special shot loads.
    Honestly I see no difference in these and my normal .38 shot loads for performance.
    Not enough difference to justify the extra work in my opinion.
    I used the Lee .309” sizer to crimp the end like shown previously. I’ll file that hack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I have used a 300 Whisper/ 300 Blackout dies to load 357 Magnum shot shells out of Maximum brass. I started out with the sizing die turned out quite a bit, then just kept turning it down till it chambered. I loaded with powder, felt wad, shot then crimped over a 30 caliber gas check. Worked great!

Boolit Bub
    Forgot to mention this works with equally well with 38 Special and 357 Mag.

Boolit Master

something to think about if using starline .357 max brass
    *.357 Maximum cases cannot be trimmed down to the .357 Magnum length due to the internal taper of the case!
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I prefer using a full-length 357 Max case, as it will hold more shot. More shot, better effective round, rather like the difference between a 410 2 1/2" and a 3". Only reason to trim is if the shell will be used in a shorter cylinder, such as the Model 36 Chief. The bottle-necked 357 Max will hold 145gr of #12, vs the Speer 38 capsule's 108gr.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123