RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Starting with the .44

Boolit Mold

Starting with the .44

Hi everyone it’s been awhile since I’ve posted but I often read I figured considering tomorrow is my birthday and I am venturing into a .44 mag tomorrow I figured I’d consult you folks.
    I plan on loading.44 mag and .44 special
    I cast my own bullets and plan on getting a 240 grain mold
    The powder I have on hand is bullseye, blue dot, universal, and tite group.
    I would love if anyone has .44 special loading in tite group as I have a lot of tite group and I plan on the .44 special being my main loading.

Yours truly
    FastHands

Vendor Sponsor

Good luck and Happy Birthday! Which gun?

Ok, the heavier the boolit, generally the slower the powder, and magnum primers even though I use WLP.

Here is a nice powder burn rate chart, you can also download that chart as a .pdf file.

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...able-download/
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Happy Birthday. I've not loaded 44 Special with Titegroup yet, but I have a pound I'm going to be working with.

Speer's data out of the Loadbooks USA 44 Special manual; RCBS 44-250-K bullet, 4.5 - 5.2 grains Titegroup.

I've been working with bullseye mostly, since I have a jug of it, but I like trying new recipes and bullets. I've found 4.8 Grains bullseye and the 44-250-K bullet to be a nice working load. My bullets are a bit heavier than the listed 250 grains.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 03-06-2024 at 01:52 AM.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Titegroup should work fine. I use it in 44 Mag and 44-40 cases for my 44-40. The 44 mag case is almost identical to 44-40 (slightly shorter). I have no experience with the other three you have.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHands View Post
    Hi everyone it’s been awhile since I’ve posted but I often read I figured considering tomorrow is my birthday and I am venturing into a .44 mag tomorrow I figured I’d consult you folks.
    I plan on loading.44 mag and .44 special
    I cast my own bullets and plan on getting a 240 grain mold
    The powder I have on hand is bullseye, blue dot, universal, and tite group.
    I would love if anyone has .44 special loading in tite group as I have a lot of tite group and I plan on the .44 special being my main loading.

Yours truly
    FastHands
    Welcome to the site. Do you need Shot Load information for the .44? If so, I have several .44 Special and .44 Magnum loads in daily use.

Be well.

Adam

Boolit Master
    I know a lot of people don't like the powder but my favorite load in the .44 mag has been 15.0 to 15.5 grains of Blue Dot behind a Keith-style 250 gr hard cast boolit. I settled on it about 45 years ago and have not deviated since. Need to chrony it now that I have the means to...would be nice to see how fast it's tripping along. Not full factory but more thump than straight .44 Special - people used to call those loads "mid-range".

Boolit Master

Hodgons load data center has load data for tite group for the 44 Special and 44 magnum. What gun (revolver) are you using? I stick with 180 to 200 gr boolits out of my Bulldog because it is so light but my Super Blackhawk was ok with the heavier ones. Good luck, be safe and have fun! Happy Birthday!
    Last edited by tward; 03-21-2024 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Addition