Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Browning 53 32-20

Boolit Man

Browning 53 32-20

I recently dug my Browning 53 chambered in 32-20 out of the back of the safe where it landed in frustration some time ago, after looking at my notes I had thoroughly put this thing through the ringer trying to get it to accurately shoot the lyman 3118,the best I could come up with was a light load of titegroup and I have written down it only groups around 2&1/2” at 50 yds.
    The bullets fall out of this mold at .313 I’ve tried shooting as cast pan lubing and have also sized .312 with the same results either way. Barrel slugs .311.

Is anybody doing any better with theirs? Or is that as good as it gets?
    My marlin 94 cl doesnt seem to care what you put in it. With most loads grouping around and inch at 50.

Boolit Master
    Try the same bullet with 4.3 grs or 4.5 grs of unique the 53 I had would hold 2" or less at 100 yds with it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    How many different powders have you tried? Every rifle is a law unto itself.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I tried a similar mold design and it works well driving slow . Bought a RCBS .32 semi-wadcutter that works better at faster speed .

Bullseye for slow and Accurate number nine for fast works for me .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Have you slugged your bore?

Boolit Grand Master
    I had better results with the RCBS 32-98-SWC, sized .313 and loaded over 5 grains of Unique, but I must confess my days of 5 shot,1", iron-sighted groups at 50 yards are in the rear view mirror. I might manage one now and again, but I can't tell you in advance what day that'll be.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

In my Marlin, 3118 would shoot great with black powder but not too well with smokeless until I started using filler. A light load of 2400 (don't remember how much now but a bit less than normal starting loads in the books) with BPI granular shotshell buffer on top was running around 1600 fps was making nearly one hole groups at 50 yards back when I could see better. I won a lot of silhouette matches with that combo.

Boolit Bub
    My browning 32 20 won't shoot straight either. My uberti 32 20 shoots very well.

The RCBS cast bullet book lists a load with RCBS 98 gr. SWC with 10 gr. of 2400. Sized to .313 this load works wonderful in my Marlin CL. You might have better luck by speeding things up a bit??

Boolit Man
    Thanks to all who have replied, sorry it has been a few days, pretty busy around here. Sounds like I need to find a rcbs 32-98-swc I have a friend that I know used to have one hopefully he still does.
    As for powders I have tried titegroup, 231,unique,power pistol, hs-6,#7,2400 and on recommendation 2015. Starting low to top end with all.
    I’ve use 2 different primers; cci500’s and Winchester wsp’s,not with all loads I started with wsp’s and realized my stock was getting low so switched to cci500’s.
    I have not used any sort of filler, not opposed to it just haven’t done it.
    I did slug the bore refer to post #1.
    It is not leading and I have used 2 different lubes a homemade beeswax/grease lube and white label BAC.
    Like I said I feel like I have pretty well ran it through the wringer,with this boolit.

Boolit Master
    I've had success using the RCBS 32-98 and Green Dot.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

I can send you some 32-98 SWC cast of COWW + 1% tin if you would like, just pm me for address. You can size and lube as you want. I am starting to think there might be something amiss with your rifle though, sounds like you've done quite a bit of testing. This doesn't bode well for me as I was thinking of gifting my wife with one of those Browning 53's. They are such a beautiful rifle.

Boolit Master
    Not a cast boolit, but I use the old discontinued Speer .308, 100 gr half jackets in my Savage 32-20 over 16 grs of Reloder 7. This is a “one ragged hole” load for me.

Boolit Master

Out of my Browning I have been using a MIHA 314-640 100gr. FB HP with 7.5 Grs. of Lil-gun sized to .313 with decent results. Works well on skunks and armadillos. I could send you a few unsized bullets to try if you want. You size and lube on your own.

gmsharps

Boolit Man
    Thank you both for your offers, Idaho I may take you up on yours, my friend does not have that mold anymore. You are right about them being beautiful rifles this one is no exception I just wish it would shoot as good as it looks.
    Gmsharps, I really appreciate your offer also I just received that mold in the mail but I ordered the 115 gr. Version I got it the other day and got it cleaned up and heat cycled it a couple times going to make some tomorrow hopefully.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Any progress with the Browning ??

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Another good load for the 311008 is 13.0 grs of reloader 7.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Any progress with the Browning ??

Jack
    Haven’t had much chance to work with it lately hopefully this week sometime.