Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: powder too thick?

Boolit Buddy

powder too thick?

I had previously done powder coating with a harbor freight gun. Got rid of it thinking I was done with powder coat. Anyway, I decided to start again. I didn't want to spend again on another gun, so decided to try the shake and bake method. Tried it last evening, and my coat does not look nice and smooth at all. I am wondering if I should shake them off harder before baking?? Would that smooth these out? This was with Eastwood maroon powder. I only did about 30 to test. When did shake them, coverage looked blotchy, not even at all. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Questions that need to be answered. Did you clean all oils from the bullets? How long did you bake them? What temp? I am sure there will be others.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    I figured I was forgetting something! Rinsed bullets off in acetone before PC. Baked at 400 (according to a oven thermometer) for 20 minutes. Oven was preheated before bullets were put in.

Boolit Buddy
    Hmmm, I was reading old threads, etc. and wonder if I found my problem. I had read about pre-heating bullets so thought I would do the same. Did not want to mess with the dial as I had it where it needed to be for 400, so I stuck the tray in and turned it on. Thought that it would take time to heat up (like a bake oven) and figured 3-4 minutes in there should be about right. I wonder if maybe I got them too hot. Even before I baked them (post shaking) they looked rather blotchy/uneven. I wonder if that was due to the heat. I might try again without the pre-heat method.

Please let us know how the next batch turns out.
    • Murder is illegal.
    • Attempting murder is illegal.
    • A felon owning a gun is illegal.
    • Shooting people indiscriminately is illegal.
    • Using firearms in a criminal manner is illegal.
    • Criminals do not go through background checks when purchasing illegal guns.
    • Explain how criminals will follow new laws.
    • Explain how new laws will make us safer.
    • Explain how restricting law-abiding citizens even more will make us safer.

You can’t? Then your argument is invalid.

Based on what I read from Smoke 4250, I SET My TRAY OF UNCOATED BULLETS ON TOP OF THE oven to warm. Once coated I shook them off in a mesh tray, before baking. I have very limited experience with PC, so following this thread. hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy
    How cold is too cold? It was about 40 degrees in my shop when I tried and it was a dismal failure...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Master

40° is a bit cold. Warming them up would be good. I've had success putting them on a heating pad for a bit

I usually let my body tell me when it's OK to PC. If I'm too cold then it's too cold to PC
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I've had that problem if the acetone is not completely dry. If you pre heat, they are too hot if you can't pick them up with a bare hand to put in the powder. I pre heat the oven to 400° then put in the batch, wait for the powder to start melting then set the timer for 20 minutes. I've also cooked boolits when it is below 30° in the garage and had no problems.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    It was 30 degrees outside and I'm sure the powder and boolits were no more than 40 before I put them in the oven. Next time I'll try warming them up. I do sit on a heating pad when I work at the bench on cold days but everything else is still cold.

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Buddy
    Second attempt. I skipped the acetone and preheat. I also noticed I had made a novice mistake last time. My toaster has 2 racks, a normal mesh type and a solid pan type. The pan was on the top, mesh on the bottom. Last time I had set my thermometer on the top, bullets on the bottom rack. This time I removed the top pan entirely and placed the thermometer on the same tray as the bullets. It seemed to help. I wonder if my temp was/is marginal? I plan on trying again and bumping temps up by 50 degrees.

The powder cost looks pretty heavy, did you shake them down good after you coated them?

Boolit Buddy
    Don't trust the dial on the oven. I have to set mine at 350 in order for it to be 400 degrees in the oven.

I've learned to not put too much powder in the dish. I'll put like half a teaspoon, then shake, check, add more if needed. I do mostly 125-150 grain boolits, 150 at a time.

Boolit Master
    The powder does look like it was too thick.

If you preheat the bullets before coating, only get them up to a warm room temp. 80 would be fine. As stated above, if you can't hold them in your hand they are too hot.

Only put one pan in the oven. I also make sure there is some space between the pan and the door. You want good air movement in the oven.

400deg F And use an oven thermometer. If your oven has a temp scale on the dial ignore it. Empty oven and put the scale on the tray. Set the dial at 400 and wait for the oven to be steady. Read the thermometer and adjust the dial. Wait a bit. Read dial again, etc, etc. When the thermometer reads a steady 400F put a mark on the dial scale.

Keep in mind some oven thermometers take a couple of minutes to settle.

And it is always good to go back and read this excellent article on 'shake and bake'.

https://www.mp-molds.com/tipstricks/...ble-dt-method/

Vendor Sponsor

2 issues I see that COULD be the problem..
    first if using acetone to clean you have to let the bullets completely dry (much longer than you think and not to the touch) or the acetone will out gas and cause bubbles/blisters
    second is either your temp is not correct ( too low) or not in oven long enough at full temp to get the powder to flow properly
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!