Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first PC job is looking like a disaster

Get the right type of plastic and don’t cheap out on the powder and you will be amazed at how easy it is. I think it is these cheap containers from DG and would recommend not putting more than 50 or so big bullets in them as the weight will cause the powder to seep out when inverted or do like I do and hold it closed and fill it up. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC436778-7FC4-48F7-B09C-428D07F9F8CB.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	306707

Boolit Buddy
    Well Smoke was right it was a 2 part problem using the yogurt container I was able to get a light coating on 15 boolits but after baking them the finish is thin and gritty.

The next step is some better powder. Like I said before when I have a few extra bucks running up hill, I'll order some... For now this project is once again on hold.

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Any of the Eastwood's "Mirror" powders work superbly, as does their Ford Light Blue and (newly-discovered) Chrome Single Stage

Smokes' remains -- of course -- the default cat's meow.

Quote Originally Posted by technojock View Post
    Well Smoke was right it was a 2 part problem using the yogurt container I was able to get a light coating on 15 boolits but after baking them the finish is thin and gritty.

The next step is some better powder. Like I said before when I have a few extra bucks running up hill, I'll order some... For now this project is once again on hold.

Tony
    Once you get the right powder, any plastic is the right plastic.

Mine is a mini barrel with a screw on lid. I've used the white plastic tubs as well, no difference. I prefer the clear one so I can see how much more shaking it needs.

Boolit Buddy
    That chrome looks really good. Anyway it'll be a week or 2 before I can get back to this project...

I like the yogurt containers for now. The lid is clear, seals tight and my hand is large enough to have my fingers on the bottom and my thumb on the top so it won't pop open while shaking. The best part is I used to throw them away so they're pretty much free...

Tony

AKA Geezerbiker

Just did a few 400-grainers (pre-sized to 454 for later final 452 --> the Bushmaster.

Used the S&B setup in Post#8, and that Chrome Single-Stage in Post #23:

(Note the "KICKOIL BBQ Grill Mat" arrived from Amazon yesterday)

Last edited by mehavey; 11-11-2022 at 03:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    GET POWDER FROM SMOKE!!!!

There are only a few others I would recommend (like Eastwood Ford Light Blue), but, if Smoke sells it you should be good. He will also tell you the 'easier' ones to use. You can even try different ones with his 3 bag deal.

I have migrated to clear for almost all of mine. I also made a mix of the Ford Lt Blue and Smoke's Red.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	purple&red  clear.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	306768

Boolit Buddy
    Are you trying to PC your bullets wet? If not and you are trying to create a static charge for Powder Coating your cast bullets, this is my method. First, I got rid of the #5 tub. It took too much working shaking the tube for - I think - 3-4 minutes. Instead, I use my tumbler and wash it out with soap and water when finished. Second, I don't use the bb's. I use styrofoam cup pieces. Paint that I had problems sticking to my cast bullets did so after using the tumbler. Last, use stick free aluminum on your pan. I use a mini-spring operated needle nose to pick up and set my bullets.

got rid of the #5 tub. It took too much working shaking the tube for - I think - 3-4 minutes.
    Read Post 26 again
    30 seconds...

Boolit Buddy
    Using the tumbler is way easier..

Boolit Buddy
    BTW, I have some of those grill mats but they were a gift from my old lady so I could grill veggies and I'd rather not her know I was using them for boolits. She might get PO'ed and I wouldn't want that. On the other hand I have still have most of a roll of non-stick aluminum foil and a Costco roll of parchment paper. I use the parchment paper in my business because the epoxy I use won't stick to it and I can pilfer some for my personal use...

BTW, I've seen some pix of guy using mesh steel baskets for baking boolits. Where do you guys get those?

Tony

AKA Geezerbiker

Mesh steel baskets? I think mine was ment for an air fryer? Came from Goodwill and fits my toaster oven perfectly! I have read of people making their own out of hardware cloth or finding them at an office supply store.
    hc18flyer
    Last edited by hc18flyer; 11-14-2022 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12