Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So you're been reloading for a while ...

Well, I started out with a Dillon new 550B in 1994, then a few years later came across a SDB for $75.00 with tons of extra stuff included, (tumbler, lots of 45acp components, primers, brass , and small tools, etc. 3 years ago I picked up a used 650 with 308 dies in tool head , 223 dies, in tool head, 45acp dies in tool head, scale, brass, bullets. Earlier this year a Friend gave me an older SDB w/ 9mm and 45 tool heads. scale, primers, brass, bullets, ammo boxes , Lee hand loader,
    and other stuff, for free. Last year, I bought a Mec Metallic press, amazingly smooth press. I use it for working up rifle loads.

So I guess I'm on the excessive list! lol! It's hard to pass up a good deal.

Oh yeah, I did send the SDB my friend gave me to Dillon for a going over, Dillon sent me a new press free of charge.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Master

I too find myself in the froggie camp. I could not tell you how many presses I own. It is true that they seem to get better and better and better. It is easy to get way off topic. For the OP, I would say looking back, I would buy the best Dillion progressive I could get, and a Rock Chucker type single. why Dillion? Eye candy in the catalogs and not much bad comments.

Boolit Master
    I own 2 presses both Lymans. If I needed a progressive it would be a Dillon. But I don't shoot that much.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

I'd run out of fingers and toes long before I counted up all the presses I've owned since I started loading in 1975.

That said, 80% of the calibers I load for currently (about 60 different rifle, pistol and shotgun) get loaded on a Rockchucker. 5 to 100 rounds at a time. The other 20% go across one of 5 MEC progressives of one flavor or another or either a Dillon SDB or a 550B. With 80% of the total number of rounds being done on the progressives an 20% on the RCBS.

I got lucky on the Dillons, the SDB was given to me, the 550B I got off Craigslist list for $100. Would have had a hard time spending that kind of cash to buy new. I probably would have started with Lee.

After reading the number of threads here about all the "fixes" and "modifications" and "work arounds" on the Lee presses I'm glad for my Dillons.

I have presses that work and work well out of the box. And for almost 20 years.

I guess having tools that work first time, every time is a bad thing.

Boolit Master

Lee presses arethe best buy if you are mechanically inclined. Lots of folks tinker with them because they are interested and capable of tweaking them. I just loaded 350 rounds of 9mm, on my Loadmaster, with a single inverted case for the run so Lee's are capable. If you have no interest or capability with mechanical devices then spend the big bucks on a Dillon.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't shoot often so I rely on my Rockchucker. When I decide to load in volume, I have an RCBS Piggyback II. I could own more but I limit my reloading tools where everything must fit in a USGI medical box that is maybe 28"x28"x36". That includes my press, dies, molds, and pot

Boolit Master
    I am about to the point of going back to loading in batches with a single stage so I can enjoy reloading again , but first I need to unload a bunch of brass .
    Point being that you can choose to produce ammunition at the rate you are comfortable with . For some more is desired loading by the thousands - while others could get by with a box or so at a time .
    Last edited by toallmy; 11-12-2022 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    Lee presses arethe best buy if you are mechanically inclined. Lots of folks tinker with them because they are interested and capable of tweaking them. I just loaded 350 rounds of 9mm, on my Loadmaster, with a single inverted case for the run so Lee's are capable. If you have no interest or capability with mechanical devices then spend the big bucks on a Dillon.
    I have been a wood shop teacher(until Jimmy Carter crashed the economy and I got laid-off), farmer(almost 900 acres of corn, soybeans and wheat) between Dad and I, we did 98% of the mechanical repairs, special machine tool builder--CMM's--coordinate measuring machines. Installed/calibrated and repaired them in GM, Ford, Chrysler, John Deere, Pratt and Whitney, Boeing, Lockheed and multiple other manufacturers. Turned in my tool box and moved over to the engineering/training/sales side and trained programmers and operators on said CMM's. And I also installed/calibrated/repaired optical comparators over my 30+ year career in the metrology field. I've worked in manufacturing plants in 33 states, 2 Canadian provinces, Puerto Rico, Mexico and China.

If I need a mechanical challenge again, I'll go buy another Italian Harley. That was way more fun working on.

If you look at my avatar, I build my own iceboats.

So far today I've installed a new service door in my work shop and changed oil in my Simplicity zero turn.

To imply that people that buy Dillon equipment are incapable of fixing a lee is rather insulting.

I guess having tools that work first time, every time is truly a bad thing.
    Last edited by 15meter; 11-12-2022 at 07:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    You can avoid upside down 9mm cases pretty easy. Just get some thin 1/16”-1/8” plastic sheeting and make a round piece about 4” in diameter and drill a hole in the middle so you can run an appropriate sized screw through it and attach it to the collator. Then flip the collator over and mark the four holes with a marker. Remove the disc and drill four 1/2” holes where they are marked and reattach this disc to the collator. You’ll never have another inverted case with 9mm again.

Love my 3 dillon xl 650s
    ILSA MEMBER
    CLASS 6 FFL

For a manual machine, I’d find a Dillon 650, they just have the most bullet proof primer feed system of any press I have used. The also no longer made GSI bullet feeder would be another item I would find too. It’s not a dropper but a feed/seat at #4 tool head that retains the powder check at #3 and allows crimp on #5.

Beyond that I would have driven machines with computer control, swage stations, and other process checks implemented.

If all I did was load a few and switch to something else, I’d pick a 550, just because no progressive has the ability to swap between small and large faster.

Boolit Grand Master

I own a Dillon and like it, so thats my suggestion. Good design, good CS. I use a RockChucker that I've had since the 70's for low volume stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been loading on a RockChucker since 1983. It still meets my needs. I love automation! If I were get a progressive today, and since money is not a problem for either of us, we get both get a Dillon 1100.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123