RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large Loop Saddle Ring Carbines. My passion

Indian Joe,
    Longer barreled sure makes any recoil settle down also.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Buddy
    I took the saddle ring off of my Winchester 94 trapper, Winchester makes a screw to fill the hole if you take it off. I shoot left handed and the ring was in the way, I don't miss the useless thing.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

I’ve never scared off any of those steel sass marshals or circles with my ‘noisy’ src. Yet.

I once had a 336 Texan that was missing the saddle ring. I was delighted that a shortened machine thread sling stud fit in there. Tacticool.
    I'm in the "don't like either" crowd, but I live in a hot climate. I might think differently if I had to wear mittens!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I've always had a "soft spot" for levers, and a few years back when I bought a Henry Model H006M Golden Boy 357 Magnum lever action an option sheet was enclosed, and I sent off for and received the large loop. I'm a bit "mixed" as imho it made no great improvement in use, but... it sure makes the rifle more pleasing to my eye. Your collection is awesome!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Nice guns!
    The saddle ring is an appendix, but I kinda like them. Do run a bit of leather through them.

The saddle ring is to make sure you don't get separated from our rifle if you suddenly get separated from your horse.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    The saddle ring is to make sure you don't get separated from our rifle if you suddenly get separated from your horse.
    ahhh ok got it ! could make the separation process a lot more brutal though.

have experienced horse separation a few times - kinda glad I didnt have a gun tied to my chest when I landed - woulda likely broke something

Boolit Master
    My son works on a good sized ranch near San Angelo (around 12,000 acres) and still works cattle from horseback - he’s on one almost daily. They have lots of varmints so he carries a ‘94 Winchester in 30-30 with barrel sights and no ring. His saddle scabbard is a tanned sheepskin, turned inside out so the fleece is against the gun, and it covers all except about 8”-9” of the stock. The carbine is not tied in, and stays in place, no matter how hard the ride. When he first got it, the front sight would pull out tufts of hair but that’s stopped and the little gun stays snug now. He bought the scabbard near Alpine and it’s probably 15 years old - I’m sure he’ll be heartbroken if anything bad happens to it.

Boolit Master
    I suppose if a fellow has large hands or wear shooters mittens a large loop lever rifle is dandy.
    Ring on the other hand I find them noisy when Still Hunting. Don't own a model anything here w/a scabbard/ saddle ring.
    I know of only one fellow who hangs his 30-30 on a nail while loaded by its saddle ring in his deer camp _a very mature tall spruce. Pix's are very nice jstanfield103.

Thanks for all the comments guy's.
    The saddle ring for me is just bling that I like. Maybe also a little part of history, the large loop guy's if you ever learn the proper way to lever them you will love them, At least I do. You just slide your hand forward and then backwards. you don't move your hand up or down like a smaller lever. I love the looks of the larger lever and really like the way they operate.

The saddle rings on all my levers have leather hanging from them with Indian beads attached. Really do that to honor the Lakota tribe that my wife is .25 percent of. Just need to buy or find some more beads that fit the leather that I use.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Buddy
    You do have some beautiful rifles, that's for sure. From what I've read the large loop was designed by Hollywood stunt man Yakima Canutt so John Wayne could twirl his 92 in the movie Stagecoach.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Master
    The trouble with twirling a '92 is that the cartridge can jam in the wrong position. A '73 has a fully enclosed carrier and would work better, but a '92 needs to be kept more or less level to actually feed a shell. If you own a '92, flip it upside down and try to chamber a cartridge - you'll see the problem in short order.

I suspect John Wayne was twirling an empty gun for those scenes.

I'm glad you like your lever collection, jstanfield103. Put me down for being another who likes them and have a passel of them, but no large levers. It's a great life experience to have something that you really like.

DG

Thanks guy's

Yes I am a very Big John Wayne fan.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    The trouble with twirling a '92 is that the cartridge can jam in the wrong position. A '73 has a fully enclosed carrier and would work better, but a '92 needs to be kept more or less level to actually feed a shell. If you own a '92, flip it upside down and try to chamber a cartridge - you'll see the problem in short order.

Gosh I LOVE this site and the generously shared wisdom/brilliance of those on it!!! Not that I, in any way, doubted your post but I -- for kicks & giggles -- put it to the test using a 1914 made .38WCF Model 1892 (with 757,xxx s/n) using some .38-40 dummies. Wowser! I'd never have given thought to the horizontal hold requirement. Thank you for sharing this bit of useful trivia! Interestingly, I vaguely recall watching an old (pre-colour) movie where a fellow was loading his '92 with it being held muzzle-up, vertically. With the spring magazine tube I guess they can be loaded while held in pretty much any position -- but -- no-go when chambering.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Gosh I LOVE this site and the generously shared wisdom/brilliance of those on it!!! Not that I, in any way, doubted your post but I -- for kicks & giggles -- put it to the test using a 1914 made .38WCF Model 1892 (with 757,xxx s/n) using some .38-40 dummies. Wowser! I'd never have given thought to the horizontal hold requirement. Thank you for sharing this bit of useful trivia! Interestingly, I vaguely recall watching an old (pre-colour) movie where a fellow was loading his '92 with it being held muzzle-up, vertically. With the spring magazine tube I guess they can be loaded while held in pretty much any position -- but -- no-go when chambering.
    geo
    The only reason I know that piece of trivia is because I tried twirling a ‘92 and jammed it, so I started playing around with different positions and figured out about where the orientation would start causing problems. I also owned a ‘73 at that time and noticed the carrier keeps the cartridge in place better than the later design. Twirling is dangerous with live ammo and I don’t recommend it under any circumstances - but I was young and rash, and survived.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post

That may be but if the smith knew his stuff they will cycle like that - done it a hundred times - a well used, good condition 32/20 carbine cycled as sweet as you like - trapper length gun is easier but we didnt have one - standard lever loop too.

If the feed rails are not right or been messed with then the round will stand up (stovepipe?) out the top of the action midway through

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12