WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Loop Saddle Ring Carbines. My passion

Large Loop Saddle Ring Carbines. My passion

Guy's I have 4 Short Rifle Large Loop Saddle Ring Carbines, Two 45 Colt ( Uberti and Winchester), One Rossi 92 .357 Mag, and one Winchester coming that is 44 Mag. Love my New Model Winchesters. Out of all my rifles I like these the best. Auto's and other rifles don't really interest me, levers fuel my fire.

1. Uberti 1873 45 Colt Limited Edition Short Rifle Deluxe: (Just a Beauty, But I do Shoot it)

2. New Model Winchester 1892 45 Colt Saddle Ring Large Loop Carbine ( Stock picture have not had time to get a picture of this one as of yet. Kind of forgot too)

3. Winchester New Model 1892 44 Mag. Saddle Ring Large Loop Carbine (I just sent the money off for this one yesterday)

3. Rossi Saddle Ring Large Loop Carbine .357 Mag
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

I despise saddle rings. I see no need to attach a noise maker to a rifle.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Cool. thanks for sharing. I want info on those knives too. Sadie rings don’t do nothing for me either way. But lever guns are my passion when it comes to long arms.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I despise saddle rings. I see no need to attach a noise maker to a rifle.
    I saw an interesting application, which was to attach a single point sling to a saddle ring. Can hang it in front or along one side, similar to how many folks seem to carry an AR.

I agree that a loose ring is just waiting to rattle at the wrong time.

Boolit Grand Master

A couple of wraps of leather lace will make sure it is totally quiet.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Thanks guy's

I put saddle rings on just about all my lever guns. I am not a hunter, don't even like the taste of deer meet. I am a plinker, steel plate hunter and most of all an protection for intruders on my property hunter . The saddle rings I do like. Once I get the 44 Mag in I will get them set up the way I prefer them and take some decent pictures and post them here. (please don't start with buy an AR for protection. I have 0 interest in the AR platform. Great rifles but don't do anything for me)

Bazo
    I also love the Bowie knife, never can get enough of them. The top pictured knife is a Cheaper Case Bowie that I bought at my favorite LGS that someone sold to them with no sheath and already had the crown stag grip on it. It is actually one of my favorites. The other one pictured is a Boker Bowie (Solingen Germany has the best knife steel) knife that I got cheap because someone laid it on something that burnt the sheath part way through on the belt loop and made the leather stiff on the point of the sheath. Still usable but I remade the sheath completely myself and really enjoy the quality of that knife.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Master
    Dont like the John Wayne bigloop been there done it way back - ring flip trigger like the rifleman, spin it one hand to reload, yeah done that stuff. The biggish (little bit oversize) loop I seen on some of the Marlin cowboy guns is my ideal for a lever loop.
    Carried a carbine horseback quite a bit back in the 60's never figured out what the "saddle ring" was for or how to use it that made sense - we used a
    strap with snap stud over the hammer like you would for a pistol holster secure but useable. I spose I missed something simple but cant figure what it was

Boolit Buddy
    The only reason they have a saddle ring is because Winchester was trying to get a military contract and the Cavalry rifles of the time had saddlerings.
    Last edited by r80rt; 11-09-2022 at 09:24 AM.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

My rossi came with a knife that looks like that 2nd one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

So, I have a '94 in 25-35. It was my Dad's. Saddle ring missing. He died in '77. So I was cleaning out the straw loft in my hose barn and found an old tin can near a window. In side were a handful of cartridges and the missing saddle ring. I guess you don't need it if your not on horseback.

Boolit Buddy
    This is how the saddle ring was used, a big hook on a wide leather strap across the chest. An early single point sling for horseback use.
    Attachment 306678
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

I want to see more pictures of both the guns and knives! Pretty nice stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just put a large loop on my buddy's Marlin. Came out great. Looks good and manly meat hooks now fit. Agree w/ Bazoo - more pictures. You have beautiful stuff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    This is how the saddle ring was used, a big hook on a wide leather strap across the chest. An early single point sling for horseback use.
    Attachment 306678
    Exactly my point...thanks for the pictures.

A lot of people don't like the Big Loop, I Love the big loop. If you function it correctly it is very easily used. Instead of using it like the small levers you slide your hand forward and backwards. Easy as eating pie. As far as the saddle ring goes, not everything has to have a purpose, I really like the saddle ring for the looks. They soot me and that is all that matters. if you don't like them that's great you don't have to worry or deal with them.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007230.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	306680

The solution -- almost as old as the rifles themselves.

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    The only reason they have a saddle ring is because Winchester was trying to get a military contract and the Cavalry rifles of the time had saddlerings.
    so the rifle would be carried slung across chest or back while galloping full tilt across the sagebrush -- sounds like fun!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    So, I have a '94 in 25-35. It was my Dad's. Saddle ring missing. He died in '77. So I was cleaning out the straw loft in my hose barn and found an old tin can near a window. In side were a handful of cartridges and the missing saddle ring. I guess you don't need it if your not on horseback.
    my problem was figuring why you would need it if you were on horseback ......?

They do look cool; I have a 94 with one on it, came that way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
    A lot of people don't like the Big Loop, I Love the big loop. If you function it correctly it is very easily used. Instead of using it like the small levers you slide your hand forward and backwards. Easy as eating pie. As far as the saddle ring goes, not everything has to have a purpose, I really like the saddle ring for the looks. They soot me and that is all that matters. if you don't like them that's great you don't have to worry or deal with them.
    Times change and tastes change .. I used to like short barrels ... now I like long ones ... that took 40 years but I figured it out eventually For me the fast handling thing of short guns is more myth than reality - I have a model 92 in 38/40 with 26 inch barrel that weighs in at 6.75 pounds - its a sweet thing to shoot and the longer tube puts the noise far enough out front that I can shoot it without earmuffs and still hear the car radio on the way home - ear protection on the range for sure but not in the bush for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast