RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgun hunters (holsters)

Banner Sponsor

I use a BFR Bandoleer holster. Works great for all of my single actions.

Banner Sponsor

I use a BFR Bandoleer holster. Works great for all of my single actions.
    https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/bf...th-belt-strap/

Boolit Bub
    Pistol packaging ‘bandito’ rig is really good. Very good price too

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with the posts concerning Diamond D Leather, made in Wasilla, AK! That "EXACT" fit for your firearm is a big draw for me. I carry a Dan Wesson .44 V8 in mine and it fits and wears great. The Wife has one for her S&W 329; the nice lady at the shop helped her set it up so it works around her physical limitations. Quality products from nice people.

I have one of their Denali Chest Holsters for my any weather set up. Made of Ballistic Nylon. Various sizes to fit most guns (not the big Smiths). Mine carries a Ruger SRH just fine. The last 2 summers have been VERY wet and it's nice to be able to carry something that's not bothered by the weather.

Edit: Diamond D makes a very nice hip holster that can be had in a drop down set up. I haven't worn one yet, but the holsters look nice.
    Last edited by LeonardC; 11-08-2022 at 10:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    I hunt with a handgun as much as I can. I've done so since the mid 1980's.

I own a very nice "Simply Rugged" chest rig that is very nice.
    I have a "Diamond D" leather chest rig and it too is very nice.
    Both of those chest rigs are adjustable & can work for many applications.

I also have a few cross draw holsters,, and they too have their place.

But I harken back to a fine gentleman who was well known & highly respected. Skeeter Skelton,, may he RIP!
    He made a comment often; "Next to my doctor,, my holster maker is the most important man I know."

Well, I found a gentleman many years ago,, who makes holsters. And I, along with many others,, gave him the nickname of "Doc" BECAUSE of Skeeter and how well his holsters are made. Mike "Doc" Barranti,, of Barranti Leather,, makes the absolute finest rigs I've ever seen, used & worn. Better in MY eyes than the Simply Rugged, and the Diamond D.
    His leather is heavier & stronger. It FITS the gun, but best part is the comfort & balance his holsters offer. The first one I ever saw & tried on was a chest rig called his "NorthWest Hunter"! It felt so good to me,, AND it's ability to balance a full sized Super Blackhawk made me a believer that day. I ordered mine.
    Now,, I own several of Doc's rigs and holsters.
    Not cheap, but TOP quality never is.
    When placed side by side to the others,, you can see the obvious differences in how they are made & the overall quality.

Bar none,, I've yet to find anybody,, custom or not,, that matches Doc's work.

And I happen to be good friends with a custom leather shop owner. Yet even his work isn't as good.

The only downside,, is the wait for a rig. You most likely won't get one in time for this season.

Boolit Master
    In looking for about the same style of holster for hunting season I came across these... They are made to fit almost everything, inexpensive and American made... Bought five of them in different sizes and can carry anything I own that I would be hunting with from a 1911 to a scoped Contender...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/39054972097...3ABFBM9u_qxoth

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    In looking for about the same style of holster for hunting season I came across these... They are made to fit almost everything, inexpensive and American made... Bought five of them in different sizes and can carry anything I own that I would be hunting with from a 1911 to a scoped Contender...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/39054972097...3ABFBM9u_qxoth
    I seen those, look good for my needs.
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Master
    Personally I can't see spending $100-250 on a dedicated chest/shoulder holster system unless you are "living the life".

To tie up that kind of money for a holster that will see the light of day 2-10 days a year can be better spent...

Bob

Boolit Mold
    I know I'm a little late to the party but....here is my $.02.

I recently bought a Tucker Gun Leather DC4 hybrid chest holster. This thing is so nice and comfortable. Well worth the price. It is leather covered kydex.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Bret Lawson
    "When you come to the fork in the road, take it."- Yogi Berra

Boolit Master
    "Personally I can't see spending $100-250 on a dedicated chest/shoulder holster system unless you are "living the life".

To tie up that kind of money for a holster that will see the light of day 2-10 days a year can be better spent..."

I know many people feel this way, and it's understood.

But if you are an actual hard hunter,, and you spend a lot of time in the woods or do trips etc, you will appreciate QUALITY equipment. Not just your holster.
    You will spend hundreds on a gun. You will spend a lot on ammo & supplies to shoot. (Serious hunters practice a lot.) You will spend a lot on all sorts of stuff to go hunting. And many will spend a lot on a long distance trip to hunt. It amazes me that people will spend a lot on such things then try & cheap out on a piece of equipment that can & will prove it's worth in the field. Buy a gun worth hundreds, then put a cheap scope on it. Plan a trip to hunt, then never practice except to shoot a "pie plate at 100 yds & call it good."
    I prioritize my activities.
    I do not drink, or smoke. But I used to see people daily in our family owned convenience store who'd waste money weekly on just those (2) things. Yet, they were always scrimping & such or doing without other stuff to "have their beer & cigarettes."
    My point to that is all of us can look at our lives & find ways to set aside a little extra & use it for good stuff that will last AND work as we need it to.

My Barranti holsters get used. Try climbing mountains chasing bear dogs trying to get to a bear. You want a holster that will secure your handgun, AND be comfortable while doing that.
    Go on an elk hunt, and spend days going up & down mountains.
    Backpack in & around mountains or swamps etc hunting deer or whatever, and when you realize the gun is not causing back pain, or always shifting, banging, or in general, being a nuisance, BECAUSE you have a quality holster rig, the money spent will be fully appreciated.

I often tell folks a story of how I relate this.
    I USED to use a lower quality set of binoculars when hunting. I USED to think; "Those XYZ brands weren't worth the money." Well, I won a set of very good quality set of binos at the SHOT Show several years ago. Boy was I WRONG!!! Top quality glass has made a huge difference in hunting for me. Even the guy who works for me,, tried a set of good glass he borrowed from me. He's the kind to do as I used to do. Buy cheaper stuff calling it good. I almost had to whoop up on him to get them back.
    And my Barranti NW Hunter rig,, my 7-1/2" .45 Colt SA revolver has enjoyed it's well designed home. And I enjoy the fact it's comfortable & doesn't hurt my back or flop around when climbing laurel thickets trying to get to bears or dogs.

I know many people scoff at such expenses. But I like to say; "Buy once, cry once. Then smile later when you realize you did the right thing."

Boolit Master
    Personally I can't see spending $100-250 on a dedicated chest/shoulder holster system unless you are "living the life".

To tie up that kind of money for a holster that will see the light of day 2-10 days a year can be better spent...

Bob
    It’s like anything else in life: buy within your means and how important is it to you. Most people set priorities with things they buy. Some won’t spend money on a good scope but will buy the most expensive car they can find. It all comes down to how bad your needs are and/or how much do you want it. The OP didn’t say he was on a tight budget or really didn’t care what it cost. He was looking for recommendations. We could be talking about scopes here and we’d be getting the same kind of answers. I’m liking some of the different suggestions regardless of price.

Boolit Master
    1.)Gun
    2.) glass
    3.) ammo
    4.) holster

Money well what you spend is your deal but all 4 of these are vitally important.

Boolit Master

Bob
    Not sure where you are going with this but honestly that’s a confusing statement. So if you can afford a good solid holster to protect and carry your $500-$1000.00 dollar hunting handgun your some sort of 1%? Lol

Access and retention are key.

If you wear pack chest holsters do the job very well. Secure retention and easy safe access. Worth every penny invested.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm sure all those that were suggested have there good points, but most of my hunting is done out of tree stands (I do occasionally walkabout)...when gun season comes in, week after Thanksgiving here in Ohio, I've experienced all kinds of weather from blowing snow with temps in the teens (I remember one opening day back in the mid 80's) to temps in the 60's and driving rain or sunshine. I do like the chest rigs the best by far, and if it comes to spending money the 100-150 dollar rigs aren't out of my range. But I think for this season I may go with a simple cross draw, preferably with a flap..
    I appreciate all the comments it certainly opened up some discussion..
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Here is the solution I came up with. I got the long shank swivel stud from Uncle Mikes and tapped the aluminum rod in the butt that stabilized the grips on my Ruger SRH. Then I attached a swivel to the stud on the butt with a thin flat blued washer and got a shotgun sling that has a loop on the barrel end to go around the barrel and passes through its self. Works fine under a coat or on the outside in warmer weather.Attachment 306734 No need for a holster. Never carried a hunting handgun as effortlessly.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    Galco chest rig. Under your coat / over your coat - it adjusts.

Boolit Grand Master
    Galco chest rig. Under your coat / over your coat - it adjusts.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j p sixguns welldone View Post
    check ringler leather von has a rig that is sort of convertable.
    That’s a name I have not heard for many years. John Linebaugh had great things to say about his holsters.

Banner Sponsor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20221112_051407.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	306761
    Money well spent

Boolit Bub
    I can't comment on it yet because it won't be here until next week.
    But I ordered a chest rig from https://paradisevalleyleather.com/ for my .357 revolver with a 6-1/2" barrel, open sights.
    I opted to try this because I wanted it when I wear a backpack or a lumbar pack.
    To me it was the lowest profile leather setup I could find.
    I was already skeptical about having something hanging on my chest, so I wanted to make sure it was out of my way as much as possible.
    It still remains to be seen how it works for me, but it sure looks like they do a fine job of making them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revolver_Photo__60894.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	306767

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast