WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handgun hunters (holsters)

I like holsters, here is my Encore holster.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encore1.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	306770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encore2.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	306771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encore3.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	306772

Boolit Grand Master
    Say Elmac, what harness do you use for your contender?
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Say Elmac, what harness do you use for your contender?
    I never got around to making one for it.
    I have only gone deer hunting once, back in 2007 so the holster only got used once.
    I had to hustle just to get it done in time for the hunt.
    I need to get back on the stick and design the shoulder harness for it.
    At the time I just used a shoulder strap from a range bag.

Boolit Master
    I use an old police belt and holster for my .357 Blackhawk. It has the cartridge loops, so I have different ammo choices on hand. And the magazines for the 77/357 rifle fit in the pouch which is a nice bonus.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Midohhntr View Post
    Hey all, I may be using one of my Rugers for hunting when gun season rolls in. Just wondering about holster options people
    like. I'm favoring a cross draw because of comfort while sitting. (and I occasionally get up and walk around) I have a shoulder rig for my Blackhawk that fits both. but wearing a blaze orange vest is a problem, and with a bulky jacket. Same with a chest rig, it would cover too much of the vest. It can't be concealed under the vest. I looked at the drop down belt rig but while it looks appealing would put too much weight on my belt and i don't care for wearing suspenders.
    Am I missing the gist of your problem? You require a holster for hunting only when you are wearing blaze orange in the form of a vest? If this is accurate, have you considered having a heavier cloth or leather pouch sewn to your vest that functions as your holster? About the only additional support needed might be sewing Velcro® strips around holster's shoulder and nape of neck of and vest-hunting coat to maintain hoster-vest to its proper location on your coat. When not wearing vest, "holstered gun situation" reverts to however you carry it during off-season.

Hope this helps.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master
    "Personally I can't see spending $100-250 on a dedicated chest/shoulder holster system unless you are "living the life".

To tie up that kind of money for a holster that will see the light of day 2-10 days a year can be better spent..."

"I know many people feel this way, and it's understood.

But if you are an actual hard hunter,, and you spend a lot of time in the woods or do trips etc, you will appreciate QUALITY equipment. Not just your holster."

..and I agree 101%. If one lives an outdoor life all the time hunting and fishing one should invest in top quality for comfort, speed and durability.

Friend of mine was going elk hunting a few years ago...got a G29/10mm and a top of the line chest holster. Once back home he decided he didn't like the G29 and now has an expensive rig with nothing to ride in it...

I'm just saying for the once a year for week hunter, the money can be better spent..

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    "Personally I can't see spending $100-250 on a dedicated chest/shoulder holster system unless you are "living the life".

To tie up that kind of money for a holster that will see the light of day 2-10 days a year can be better spent..."

"I know many people feel this way, and it's understood.

But if you are an actual hard hunter,, and you spend a lot of time in the woods or do trips etc, you will appreciate QUALITY equipment. Not just your holster."

..and I agree 101%. If one lives an outdoor life all the time hunting and fishing one should invest in top quality for comfort, speed and durability.

Friend of mine was going elk hunting a few years ago...got a G29/10mm and a top of the line chest holster. Once back home he decided he didn't like the G29 and now has an expensive rig with nothing to ride in it...

I'm just saying for the once a year for week hunter, the money can be better spent..

Bob
    I get this I truly do however it’s so important to have a quality holster not only for comfort and convenience but safety as well. I see way to many junk cheap ho,tees without any device to secure the weapon end up dumping that weapon on the ground or worse an accident.

Left over holsters I agree any gun enthusiast has box of those darn things…..maybe this forum should have a section in the for sale just for holsters I bet it would go over quickly and be very popular. I could add many quality rigs to it……….

Sometimes you just like to have nice things, even if you don't use them much or ever.

Boolit Master
    I made a vest that had a holster built in. As long as the vest fits well it works nicely. If it is loose like a jacket the gun 'flops' against the chest as you walk. What I found better was to use a regular chest rig under the vest/jacket and have a slot to draw from (or snaps on the jacket/vest).

PS when I want a specific holster from a mfg (like my Milt Sparks holster) I pay for the quality. But, most of the time, I make what I want just because I usually do not use them much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Sometimes you just like to have nice things, even if you don't use them much or ever.
    That sounds a great deal like some of my gun purchases.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I use a BFR Bandoleer holster. Works great for all of my single actions.
    https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/bf...th-belt-strap/
    That looks like an awesome set up. I use an older Uncle Mikes vertical shoulder holster. Most often I’m hunting with my NMSBH 44 or M29 - both work for this holster.

Another option may be what Gary Reeder is offering now. Basically a clip-style around the cylinder and open style. Maybe worth checking out on his website. FWIW.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123