MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: M-Carbo Trigger Spring set for Thompson Center Compass

Boolit Grand Master

M-Carbo Trigger Spring set for Thompson Center Compass

I got a T/C Compass rifle for $225 years ago and it shoots very well. MOA with Sierra 165 GameKings. But it had 5 1/2 lb trigger and I found that a bit heavy.

So I got spring kit from M-Carbo a couple of months ago and installed it today. With the 1.5 lb main spring I got a trigger pull of 3 lbs 6 oz. That is about perfect for a hunting rifle IMO.

I think I got it on sale for $20 plus shipping. Certainly worth the money IMO.

I was going to polish the sear surface but wanted to see what the drop in parts would do. Glad I did not touch it as I would not want it any lighter.

Will check the POI this week and will be ready for deer season next week.

Difficult to spend a lot of money on a "good rifle" when these bargain guns shoot so well. It makes more sense to invest in a good scope than a pretty rifle. I have a $400+ Vortex on it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have two friends of mine who are somewhat “thrifty” when it comes to buying deer hunting rifles. They spend about three hundred bucks on a blued, synthetic gun with really bad triggers. In spite of the terrible triggers the guns still shoot about an inch for three shots and maybe an inch and a half for five shots with some brands of ammo. Like you, they have spent a minimal amount on trigger improvement and the guns seem to shoot about the same before and after. My point is that you don’t really need to invest much to get a rifle that’s very capable of shooting every deer you shoot at. I shot competition for years and in my personal opinion triggers are important in some types of shooting, but for shooting deer and such they are less important. It’s also been my experience that the vast majority of shooters have no clue what their trigger weights are unless they check them with a scale. I believe a good shooter can cope with a bad trigger (to a point) but a bad-mediocre shooter won’t notice a difference and it doesn’t seem to help much. I keep my deer guns right around three pounds. I can get less, but it won’t make much difference shooting deer. I agree on spending the money on a better scope.
    FWIW, my last “new gun” was a Browning X-Bolt and it came with a 5.5 lb trigger. I put a MCarbo in it and it dropped right down to 2.2 lb (five shot average) pull. I think I spent twelve bucks on the trigger spring. Way cheaper than a replacement trigger.