WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: 45 XL shot cartridges.

Boolit Mold

45 XL shot cartridges.

I am trying to be able to make 44 XL shot cartridges for my “Marbles Game Getter “ . If you have an experience with ,please, share with me.
    Mostly want loads that will be safe for me and the gun.
    Thanks
    Skidder

Boolit Master

44 or. 45?

Boolit Master
    I got curious and 3 minutes of research.
    It may be based on the 44-40 cartridge case. I would make chamber casts and see which modern cases are closer. I wonder if .444 marlin cases could be adapted. Below case drawings of .444.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MarbleGameGetterGun.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	306591
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 06-49-54 Caliber .444 Marlin Reloading Data.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	306592

Boolit Master
    At least one manufacturer used to make a long 44-40 case that held more shot. It was approximately the same length as a conventional loaded round and could feed through a lever action.

I am planning to experiment with 5-in-1 blank cases but if you do the same, be advised the primer hole is larger in a blank case and they will not contain much pressure. My plan was to start with a light charge of Bullseye or something similar - just enough to get the charge out of the barrel at a few hundred FPS.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skidder View Post
    I am trying to be able to make 44 XL shot cartridges for my “Marbles Game Getter “ . If you have an experience with ,please, share with me.
    Mostly want loads that will be safe for me and the gun.
    Thanks
    Skidder
    I've been working on both shot and ball loads for my 1908 model Game-Getter. For ball I've been loading black powder. I do plan on working up a smokeless load for them. For shot I've been using 44-40 cases and making my own shot capsules out of brown paper. You can use the Speer 44 caliber shot capsules but, I wouldn't use their 44 mag loading data. Sorry I can't go into any detail now as I'm elk hunting and leave early and get back home late. If I get some time in the next few days I'll try to explain what I've done so far.
    Last edited by elk hunter; 11-08-2022 at 07:30 AM.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master
    Outpost75 has made several posts about using the 5 in 1 blank cases for this. A search should turn up something, maybe in the shotloads for pistols section?

I have used .444 Marlin cases trimmed to fit the chamber in my Stevens Model 101, but it has a 2" chamber.

Robert

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In the Game Getter keep the powder charges light. Do not exceed Group 1 .44-40 charges for a 200 grain bullet when loading 1/3 oz. of Shot. I use 5 grains of Bullseye or 6 grains of Unique.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    44 or. 45?
    It is a 44XL

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Rather than using 444 Marlin, perhaps explore if the 445 Super Mag brass is close to your desired length.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/445-super-mag-brass
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Grand Master
    The problem with that idea is the .44 magnum is too skinny for the rear of the chamber. At least it is in mine.

It is easier to trim to length than it is to add width, at least with brass cases.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I use 44-40 cases to make all my loads. I make up a paper cylinder out of a couple of wraps of brown paper bag around a dowel to make a shot capsule like the 44 XL shot cartridge. I put a tight fitting cereal box wad over the powder and seat the shot capsule on it and then lightly roll crimp. For the ball rounds I just seat a .423 round ball in the mouth of the case just firm enough that it stays in place. I have been using black powder for the round ball and unique for the shot loads. I'm going to work up loads for both using Herco. I need to make a baffle board for the chronograph so I can shoot the shot loads to check their speed. So few people have and shoot a Game-Getter that it is hard to find any reliable loading information.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are going to make light loads, you might be able to wrap the case head area on the 445 SM cases with a layer of masking tape to make up the difference.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skidder View Post
    it is a 44xl
    what is a 44xl? Is it smaller in length than a 44 mag?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    what is a 44xl? Is it smaller in length than a 44 mag?
    On post #3 if you click and enlarge the first image there is a .44 XL shot illustrated. The 44-40 was also called in those days the .44 WCF. I assume the XL means extra long.