Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Cartridge for 100-300 YD

Boolit Bub

Best Cartridge for 100-300 YD

I compete in Benchrest Single Shot Matches with the longest shots being 300 yards. I currently shoot smokeless and am not interested in shooting black powder. The bullets must be plain base and I cast my own currently for 38-55 and 40-65. My 38-55 has a 12 twist so I shoot heavy bullets (360 gr). I shoot 400+gr in the 40-65. I am not shooting these fast, somewhere in the 1200-1250 range. We shoot from sticks with no rear bag. My question is if the sky is the limit what would be your optimum "rimmed" cartridge to shoot max 300 yards. It needs to shoot 2 moa or under at 300 yards. I am hoping there is something that is soft shooting and accurate to 300. I do not find shooting off the sticks to be easy and I'm hoping lighter recoil may lead to more consistent gun management. Been looking at the Schuetzen chamberings but since I believe they just shoot 200 yards I am thinking they may come up short for 300 yards. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and replies.
    Last edited by joelpend; 11-06-2022 at 09:52 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

My pick would be 30BR.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    What weight bullet would you need and how fast in the 30 cal.
    Hard to use a rimless case in some of our single shot actions but 30 Herrett is real close to BR capacity I think.
    Last edited by joelpend; 11-06-2022 at 09:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Of my collection of lead flippers that I have tried, my .338-06 comes to mind. I have the inexpensive 2 cavity Lee 225 gr boolit mold and it shot very well with minimal load development (IMR 4320). I have a barrel in 35 Whelen and it would likely be even better but I have not mounted it and shot it yet.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was competing, I looked at what the best competitors were using. There will be good shooters on this forum, or “hacks”, giving opinions. You do not know.

But the odds are there are more “hacks” than top competitors.

It boils down to how serious are you about getting better.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    When I was competing, I looked at what the best competitors were using. There will be good shooters on this forum, or “hacks”, giving opinions. You do not know.

But the odds are there are more “hacks” than top competitors.

It boils down to how serious are you about getting better.
    Respectfully, I already have what the others are shooting and I would like to build something different if it makes sense. I set a World Record in 1000 yd Benchrest by building a heavy rifle that was totally unconventional, a one of a kind rifle. I have tons of experience and knowledge in the jacketed bullet high velocity cartridge world but not nearly as much in the cast bullet world.

Boolit Grand Master

30/30! Long neck to cover the grease grooves and moderate powder capacity. If you can find some of the old Federal American cases (30/30 with a small rifle primer) that would be a bonus.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    30/30! Long neck to cover the grease grooves and moderate powder capacity. If you can find some of the old Federal American cases (30/30 with a small rifle primer) that would be a bonus.
    That would also be my suggestion and choice. I'd also go with a 12" twist for use with cast 190 - 210 gr bullets. If 150 - 165 gr bullets were on the table then I'd go with a 14" twist.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    38-55 will shoot to 300 yds - have you tried it yet?

The trouble with kicking the velocity up too much is the plain base restriction you mentioned as one of the rules. A .375 H&H would be a good choice, but I expect it's too much gun.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I don’t know what you are restricted to, but I did well up to 300 yards hunting with my 7mm Remington. It always shot’ nice and flat.

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot a Krag rifle in our CBA matches with plain base bullets, but only out too 200 yards. I was using fast burning shotgun powders, which limited my velocity to probably around 1200-1300 fps. Some days they shot incredibly well at 200, but shooting in moderate wind, they slowed enough to become somewhat unstable at 200. I think with the 30-40 case, you could use a slower powder to keep the plain base bullet supersonic out too 300, and still be within your 2 MOA requirement.

A Ruger #1 re barreled or a Win hi-wall would be a fun rifle in 30-40

I would think the 30-30 or even the 7 x 30 Waters would be a ideal cartridge if you can find the right boolit that it likes.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    If you could paper patch then you could load up velocity more.
    You’ve got two options as far as I can see.
    High enough velocity to stay above transonic to 300 yrds
    Or Stay subsonic.
    Subs I have got groups of a handspan out that far.

Pb and pushing 1500 fps+ Is out of my league of equipment and knowledge.

Nothing wrong with 30-30

You could go all logic and find a great mold for the job then work up back from there as to fps /twist rate and case and powder to push it.

I think the br crowd are geared to use one bullet one twist one cartridge and one powder and one load to be competitive. They even have to have the same flavour scope and front rest.

Boolit Grand Master

The OP specifically asked about "Benchrest Single Shot Matches" . It's been years since I stopped following equipment used by the winners. At the time the 30 BR was the dominate cartridge.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    The type match is what some refer to as Buffalo Matches, we use period correct rifles or reproductions such as Sharps, Highwalls, Rolling Blocks, Stevens 44 1/2, Ballards, Etc. We shoot from the bench using cross sticks to support the rifle barrel and no rear rest is allowed. I do not think it is reasonable to shoot anything that will remain supersonic to 300 yards. TOO MUCH RECOIL IMO plus plain base bullets. Cartridges also should be period. Technically the 30-30 is a smokeless case but our Match Director would allow that I am pretty sure. Black Powder Paper Patched wins consistently buy I do not want to shoot black or paper patch. Thanks for the responses.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by joelpend View Post
    The type match is what some refer to as Buffalo Matches, we use period correct rifles or reproductions such as Sharps, Highwalls, Rolling Blocks, Stevens 44 1/2, Ballards, Etc. We shoot from the bench using cross sticks to support the rifle barrel and no rear rest is allowed. I do not think it is reasonable to shoot anything that will remain supersonic to 300 yards. TOO MUCH RECOIL IMO plus plain base bullets. Cartridges also should be period. Technically the 30-30 is a smokeless case but our Match Director would allow that I am pretty sure. Black Powder Paper Patched wins consistently buy I do not want to shoot black or paper patch. Thanks for the responses.
    Very period correct https://americangunfacts.com/32-40-cartridge/ and back in the day it was one of the more popular Schuetzen cartridges.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Very period correct https://americangunfacts.com/32-40-cartridge/ and back in the day it was one of the more popular Schuetzen cartridges.
    I have given this consideration and I know the 32-40 works extremely well to 200 yards for the Schuetzen crowd. Just unsure whether stretching to 300 yards would be asking too much when velocities need to be kept in check

Boolit Grand Master

I have given this consideration and I know the 32-40 works extremely well to 200 yards for the Schuetzen crowd. Just unsure whether stretching to 300 yards would be asking too much when velocities need to be kept in check

That would mostly be a twist/bullet issue.

https://americangunfacts.com/32-40-cartridge/

From 1886 on, the .32-40 was available primarily for Winchester and Marlon never action rifles. It primarily saw use for hunting medium-sized game like deer, as well as smaller varmints like wolves and coyotes, at ranges of up to 300 yards or 270 m. It also saw use as a match-grade cartridge for target shooters.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    So…does your 38-55 recoil too much?

Boolit Grand Master

"My question is if the sky is the limit what would be your optimum "rimmed" cartridge to shoot max 300 yards. It needs to shoot 2 moa or under at 300 yards. I am hoping there is something that is soft shooting and accurate to 300. I do not find shooting off the sticks to be easy and I'm hoping lighter recoil may lead to more consistent gun management."

Appears the OP wants something with lighter recoil than the 38-55 load he has been using which is a 360 gr bullet at 1200-1250 fps. A .30, .31 or .32 cal rifle shooting a 170 - 190 gr bullet at 1200 - 1400 fps whould fit that requirement. Thus the 30-30, 32 Win SPL or 32-40 would be what i would look at.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast