MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: 25 x.308

25 x.308

Anyone shoot a 25x308, .25-08 or whatever it's called? Years ago somehow I ended up with a .25-08 trim die. I've never had a .25-08 but the die has come in darn handy during some forming operations for other things.

Any how, it would seem to probably be a useful cartridge if nothing substantially different from a .243, somewhere between a .25-3000 and a .257 Roberts and maybe cool for a reworked 99 Savage. Just thought I'd see if anybody has or had one.

Wasn't that also called the 25 Souper? Pretty neat cartridge for sure although any more it would be hard to justify over a 6.5 Creedmoor.

A .25 Souper? Maybe so. Once upon a time (1970's?) there was a gun writer who did a write up about trying a .25 x .308 wildcat and that he was disappointed in its performance. I'm pretty sure I'm recomembring it right and he called his the .25 Arabella. Uh, not that that means I'm recalling correctly a gun magazine I read during coffee break on a twelve hour shift.

Boolit Master
    I also recall it being called .25 Souper.. Maybe even in Cartridges of the world??
    Cool enough to maybe make it Fun ... but... I Much prefer the "Bob"... Thanks
    Of course... I am Partial to Mauser Actions... soooo.....

Boolit Buddy

The 25-08 with modern powders available would perform close to a 25/06 but on a short action.
    The problem with the 25 cal family has always be the lack of bullet selection available.

The 25x08 is the 25 Super. athere is no reason that a 25 Super with a 105 grain cast flat point in a 1-8 twist would not make a fine cast bullet shooter.

I have owned five 25 guns, always ran nto the same problem, bullets to match the given need.
    Like the 256 Win Mag, 60 gr JHP factory loads, no 60 grain bullets sold to reload and the factory bullets available to reload were marginally stable in the factory gun's twist.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Chronographed a load for a fellow that built one on a M700 medium action for long range rockchuck shooting. He had a 12" twist 26" long Shilen varmint contour barrel on it. As I recall he was using Winchester 308W cases for max case capacity and 87 gr bullets. His load was running right at 3400 fps. Was death and destruction on rockchucks.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Probably very similar to my 250 AI.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I'm not sure where they went with their dimensions but with 260 remington brass readily avail it would be an easy conversion. Perhaps a 260 bushing full length or neck die would work great with the proper size bushing for the .007 smaller bullet.

The way the Hornady sliding sleeve bullet seater dies work the 250 savage one perhaps would work, Redding makes a 250 savage competition seating die and the sliding sleeve on those is soft and easily reamed bigger, but they are pretty $$$.

Not sure if RCBS bullet seaters are left soft or not.

Actually this should work and it is only $66.

Search for............
    "Frankford Arsenal Universal Bullet Seating Die for .224 to .338 Caliber with Micrometer Stem and Storage Case for Reloading"

Overall the whole deal will cost a lot more than a 260 remington, and I'm not seeing any huge advantage really. I'm sure the 25 308 way predates the 260 rem.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, the 25 308 way predates the 260 rem. When I chronographed that 25-308 the 6.5 Rem was not yet introduced. The 6.5-308 was but it used the 308W as its parent cartridge also. I chronographed the 25-308 back in the mid '80s and the 6.5 Rem was introduced in the later '90s.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

IMO use .243 Winchester brass to make .25 Souper. It's much more common than .260 Remington brass.
    Loaded to equal pressure, the .25 Souper should lag behind the .257 Roberts just a bit velocity wise(think 6mm Remington vs .243 Winchester).

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Isnt that called the 6.5 crapmore sorry creedmoor?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Creedmoor

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Isnt that called the 6.5 crapmore sorry creedmoor?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Creedmoor
    "Muh Creedmore" apparently has a sharper shoulder and perhaps less body taper. Meaning it is a shorter case with 2% less capacity and a 2000 psi higher SAAMI pressure. Might allow seating a longer bullet in an AR308 type magazine ?

Overall muh creedmore might be cheaper due to popularity ?

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player