RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Dad's Rifle

Boolit Master

Dad's Rifle

When I started experimenting with cast bullets in .30-06, I was quite young and I didn't have my own rifle in that caliber at the time. My Dad was a very patient man and he recognized my interest. He allowed me to take one of his rifles to use for load development.

I found that this rifle was a tack driver with darn near anything. My first experiments used a Lyman 311312 over small loads of Unique, and later medium loads of IMR-4227, as well as IMR-4895.

Dad arrived in Alaska in 1963 working with the State of Alaska Highway Department. He brought this rifle with him.

It was built from an M1903A3 barrelled action from the then-DCM, from a gunsmith named Reed Thacker. Thacker cut and rewelded the bolt so it would clear a scope, and stocked it with what you see in the photo. Dad used this rifle to take a large number of moose and caribou over many years. During the time he worked on the Susitna River Bridge in the 1960s, he told me that he got good enough with this rifle that he could cover a 200 yard 3 shot group with a dime.

50 years later, I found the same gravel pit that my Dad originally used to sight this rifle in with.

To this day, this rifle shoots cloverleafs. I don't take it out to the range much, but when I do it makes me think of Dad and puts a smile on my face.

I don't normally do this kind of thing, but this is Dad's Rifle.

Please excuse the ugly slipon recoil pad--it's mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dads-rifle.jpg  

Your dad knew rifles, apparently. That one is nice.
    I like the no nonsense stock as well.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Pretty sure you'll find just about everybody here has a warm spot reserved for stories like your's.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    When I started experimenting with cast bullets in .30-06, I was quite young and I didn't have my own rifle in that caliber at the time. My Dad was a very patient man and he recognized my interest. He allowed me to take one of his rifles to use for load development.

I found that this rifle was a tack driver with darn near anything. My first experiments used a Lyman 311312 over small loads of Unique, and later medium loads of IMR-4227, as well as IMR-4895.

Dad arrived in Alaska in 1963 working with the State of Alaska Highway Department. He brought this rifle with him.

It was built from an M1903A3 barrelled action from the then-DCM, from a gunsmith named Reed Thacker. Thacker cut and rewelded the bolt so it would clear a scope, and stocked it with what you see in the photo. Dad used this rifle to take a large number of moose and caribou over many years. During the time he worked on the Susitna River Bridge in the 1960s, he told me that he got good enough with this rifle that he could cover a 200 yard 3 shot group with a dime.

50 years later, I found the same gravel pit that my Dad originally used to sight this rifle in with.

To this day, this rifle shoots cloverleafs. I don't take it out to the range much, but when I do it makes me think of Dad and puts a smile on my face.

I don't normally do this kind of thing, but this is Dad's Rifle.

Please excuse the ugly slipon recoil pad--it's mine.
    Thanks for posting! My dad spent almost two years in the Philippine jungles during WWII and brought home two 1903A3's, with eventual "plan" that one each goes to my brother-in-law and me. At a Thanksgiving dinner with all present, dad suggested Fred (the b.i.l.) and I go upstairs to attic crawlspace to retrieve them -- as well as a couple of "bonus" antique .22 rifles he also had.
    The space was void!!! The questions included, "Was it one of the roofers?; "Was it one of the A/C tech's?"; "Was it the whole-house vent fan installers?"; "Maybe an electrician when outdoor security lights failed?"; and on and on!
    You are indeed fortunate that you HAVE the firearm your dad used. NOT to in any way solicit comments -- please refrain? -- but my dad and his jungle buddies preferred and employed the '03AS's over the Garands. Dad never went into any detail, but with always "101%" humidity and always raining with crud in air, they felt better having bolt action firearms in their hands...
    Again, so happy you are able to have YOUR DAD's .30-'06!
    geo

Boolit Master

Beautiful rifle and I completely understand the sentiments. My Dad always hunted with a Browning light 12 auto five. It was the only shotgun he had for many years. Where I am at in Florida, I just don't have any hunting opportunities, but enjoy shooting. When my club started doing a few three gun matches I decided to use the Browning. I found a used barrel I could shorten on Ebay, a mag tube extension on this forum and a red dot mount that is detachable. While it looks very different it is still Dad's gun and I can put it all back to original in 5 minutes. I'm not using it for the same purpose, but when I take it out it still brings back memories of rabbit fields and dove hunts in Kentucky.

Boolit Bub
    Great story, Thanks.
    My dad was issued an 03-A3 #3265202 (he remembered that number till he died) and then he shipped out to North Africa in Dec. 1942.
    I have tried a few times to see if anybody on line might have that Springfield but no luck so far.

Must be something about the Springfield 03, mine has a new 4/44 four groove Remington barrel that is also a tack driver with the Lyman 311284 (208gns). This 10 shot group, one of two shot at 100 yds that day.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

A rifle to be treasured......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Those 03A3s are great guns. My first center fire shot was from my father’s. Later it became mine and now has been passed down tô my son. They used those rifles to build sniper rifles for WWII.

Boolit Master

My Dad too, had an '03-A3 from DCM. As far as I know, it was as issued when he passed it on.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

A great shooting gun with attached memories.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for sharing your story.
    My father trained with 03-A3 when he was drafted in 1962. Loved the rifle so much that when he was discharged in 64 he joined the NRA because they had them available for $37.00 he said. Set it to a back yard gunsmith that did a poor job of drilling and tapping the action for a scope mount. Holes are way of center. But action and barrel were installed into a beautiful carved Walnut stock.
    It's been my rifle for 16 years now. One day I hope to get it hunt worthy again.

That thing is gorgeous. Your pops had good taste.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.